Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-07, 06:58 AM   #1
h_double
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
h_double's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Raleigh Passage (hybrid)
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good/bad places to lock my bike?

I recently bought my first bike (a Raleigh Passage 3.5 hybrid) since I was a little kid , and I am loving the fun, exercise, and convenience of being able to use it to get around town.

One thing I'm less thrilled about is discovering how most areas just aren't that bike friendly. There are several strip mall type shopping centers locally where I end up locking up to the sign marking a handicapped parking spot (locking up so as not to block the space of course), or even locking up to a stop sign, because there is literally nothing else in the vicinity that a U-lock will fit around.

It might seem like a silly question, but I figure there is lots of accumulated experience on this forum, and I would appreciate it if anybody has any hints or stories as to particularly good/bad places to stash a bike while I'm out & about -- I don't want to lock the bike anyplace somebody might object, but I DO want to keep it safe from theft & damage.
h_double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 09:39 AM   #2
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good place:


Not such a good place:



Seriously, when locking up to signposts or parking meters, consider how easy it might be for a theif to:

1. Lift the bike and lock over the top of the post
2. Remove the post at the base
3. Cut the post

I haven't lived downtown, so I don't know that much about bike theft. There's only so much you can do to secure a bike, but you have to do something.
Phantoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 10:44 AM   #3
h_double
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
h_double's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Raleigh Passage (hybrid)
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Good place:
Seriously, when locking up to signposts or parking meters, consider how easy it might be for a theif to:

1. Lift the bike and lock over the top of the post
2. Remove the post at the base
3. Cut the post

I haven't lived downtown, so I don't know that much about bike theft. There's only so much you can do to secure a bike, but you have to do something.
I'm way ahead of you on watching the structural integrity of the post (though most of the time I'm locking the bike, it's for ~30 minute errands in the middle of the day). I guess I'm worried more about safety/courtesy issues than theft per se -- I don't want to park the bike where it's potentially in the way of motor or foot traffic, etc. There's a shopping center near my home with a video rental place as a separate outbuilding in the parking lot, and the only place to lock my bike is to the handicapped parking sign right in front of the video place. It's not in anyone's way, but it feels a bit rude parking there and then going to the other shops across the parking lot.
h_double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 12:13 PM   #4
cerewa
put our Heads Together
 
cerewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
One thing I'm less thrilled about is discovering how most areas just aren't that bike friendly. There are several strip mall type shopping centers locally where I end up locking up to the sign marking a handicapped parking spot (locking up so as not to block the space of course), or even locking up to a stop sign, because there is literally nothing else in the vicinity that a U-lock will fit around.
Stop signs and handicapped parking signs are often perfect, as far as I'm concerned. When locking to these things, if it's really easy to remove the post then don't do lock up there. Most of the posts I use are hard enough to remove.... you'd need some tools and a fair bit of time to steal the bike. Also, none of my bikes is worth all that much.

Parking meters are particularly good around here. if it were easy to move a parking meter all the crooks would have made off with meters full of coins by now.
cerewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 01:43 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_double
I recently bought my first bike (a Raleigh Passage 3.5 hybrid) since I was a little kid , and I am loving the fun, exercise, and convenience of being able to use it to get around town.

One thing I'm less thrilled about is discovering how most areas just aren't that bike friendly. There are several strip mall type shopping centers locally where I end up locking up to the sign marking a handicapped parking spot (locking up so as not to block the space of course), or even locking up to a stop sign, because there is literally nothing else in the vicinity that a U-lock will fit around.

It might seem like a silly question, but I figure there is lots of accumulated experience on this forum, and I would appreciate it if anybody has any hints or stories as to particularly good/bad places to stash a bike while I'm out & about -- I don't want to lock the bike anyplace somebody might object, but I DO want to keep it safe from theft & damage.
You'll gain instincts about locking places. Here's something that will help with the actual locking technique http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:49 PM   #6
flipjarg
Funding Impared Cyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Bikes: Iron Horse
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great post! i was trying to think of things i could lock up on today. The information in this post helped me quite a bit. i didn't really think much about someone removing the post. Although i will be in a busy city when i'm locking up. Still, i won't be taking the chance.
flipjarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 02:56 PM   #7
EGreen
Senior Member
 
EGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY. Made in France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoj
theif
EGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:14 PM   #8
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGreen
When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking?

I got 4th place in a spelling bee in 2nd grade.
Phantoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:55 PM   #9
Cynikal
Team Beer
 
Cynikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 5,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You'll gain instincts about locking places. Here's something that will help with the actual locking technique http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

While I understand that this works well, my issue with this method is that it LOOKS less secure. Thus, more attractive to thieves.
Cynikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 04:02 PM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoj
When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking?
And those rules are always true except when they're not.

But I have to agree with you on the safe place. That's just what I was thinking.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 04:05 PM   #11
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynikal
While I understand that this works well, my issue with this method is that it LOOKS less secure. Thus, more attractive to thieves.
Not at all. Especially if you use a cable lock along with it. People who just lock a frame tube are actually easier targets as there's more room to mount a leverage attack.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.