Yes, this is yet another thread about cagers yelling at me to my ass on the sidewalk. I was not expecting this until later in the year though. But it was yelled at me today on my commute home from work.
Here is what happened:
1. Distance into commute: About 2.8 miles.
2. Roadway: Singing Hills Blvd, a divided 4-lane, 35 mph, through a commercial area, both right & left turn lanes at intersections.
3. Parallel to Sing Hills Blvd: Multi-Use Path, or MUP.
4. City Ordinance: States if a MUP is parallel to a roadway cyclists are to use it rather then ride on roadway. This is never enforced & I have ridden with an off duty police officer on a roadway that parallels a MUP. I doubt the cager knows of this ordinance.
5. I was riding in the right half of the right lane, where I was legally allowed & supposed to be riding.
6. She was behind me for about a block maybe, but could not get around me because of a lot of traffic in the left lane. She had to turn right. Which means she had to merge into a right turn lane to do so, she had to wait until the start of the turn lane to merge into it. The right turn lanes start well before the intersection.
7. The light was red on approach to the intersection but turned green just before we got to it, she was in the turn lane, I was still riding in the right half of the right lane.
8. Just before she turns right I hear her yell, "GET YOUR ASS ON THE SIDEWALK!!!". To which I yelled, "THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE I APPRECIATE IT!!!" We were both moving when this happened. As she was completeing her turn & I was continueing straigh through the intersection I saw her window go up. This tells me she put her window down to yell at me.
I am flabbergasted as to why a cager would put their window down to yell at a cyclist. That takes twice the energy. So why?
I used to yell something rather profane back & flip the bird, not anymore. I just yell what I did. I do not know what the look on her face was, but another motorist who was sitting at the red light on the cross street the cager who yelled at me turn onto, she was oncoming to him when she turned right, waiting to go straight saw & heard it first had this look of agreement on his face when she yelled at me, then a very confused look when he heard what I yelled. Again why?
So have any of you had anything like this yelled at you yet, or is it still to early in the season?