Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What do you guys think of K2 bikes?

    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to bikes and was wondering what you guys thought about the K2 Zed 4.0 2006 edition. The statistics of this bike are as follows:

    Frame: Reflex Mountain, 6061 aluminum, replaceable hanger and disc brake mount
    Fork: Answer Manitou Axel Super FFD-R, 100mm travel, with oil damping and rebound adjuster
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X-Gen
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-7
    Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Brakes Levers: Hayes Sole
    Brakes: Hayes Sole hydraulic discs
    Chain: KMC Z9000
    Crankset: Truvativ 5D, Powerspline, 22/32/44T
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 cassette, 11-32T, nine speed
    Pedals: Alloy MTB

    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline, sealed cartridge
    Headset: 1 1/8" threadless, Intellaset style
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Comp
    Seat Post: Aluminum microadjust, 350mm
    Handlebar: Butted alloy riser bar
    Grips: WTB Moto
    Stem: Alloy threadless
    Tires: WTB Mutano Raptor 26x2.14"
    Wheelset: Sun CR-18 double-wall rims, Shimano disc-specific hubs and 32 black stainless spokes / wheel
    Weight: 30.6 lbs.
    Color: Smoke

    The retail is apparently $900, but it is being sold at $499. Is this a steal?? Should I get this bike so that I can commute to work on a daily basis? Thank you muchos.


    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8293/.f

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the k2 mod 3.0 that I use for commuting. It weighs about 21 lbs, and is pretty fast. The middle chain ring was weak and had to be replaced, but other than that no problems. K2 is one of those mass-produced Taiwanese bikes like most other Treks, Giants, etc. out there.

    30 lbs is on the heavy side, and you shouldn't need front shocks for commuting.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the parts on the 4.0 'good'? As I am new to this biking scene, I have no idea if the components are any good. Thank you for your response snowranger!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    K2 Mach 1.0
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a K2 road bike, I like it so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Senior Member cgchambers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden a K2 Razorback (Mountain bike) for years, love it

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that not many people buy K2's? I searched the forum for K2 reviews and the search found zero!

  7. #7
    Luggite bsyptak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a lot of people buy K2 bikes because not a lot of shops sell K2 bikes.

    If your commute is more than 4 or 5 miles, that 30 lb bike is going to bum you out.

    The components are not too bad. You can get reviews on probably all of the components online.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    K2 Mach 1.0
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsyptak
    Not a lot of people buy K2 bikes because not a lot of shops sell K2 bikes.
    Yeah, I haven't really seen any shops around me selling them. I bought mine from REI.

    -Nate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    One Man Fast Brick hubcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the K2 Enemy is a pretty nice cyclocross bike that would work pretty well for commuting.

    I wouldn't want to commute on that mountain bike though.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wnij
    Are the parts on the 4.0 'good'? As I am new to this biking scene, I have no idea if the components are any good. Thank you for your response snowranger!
    Not familiar with SRAM parts, so I can't comment. I bought mine from REI because of the unlimited satisfaction guarantee policy. You can order online from them and pick it up in store without shipping charges.

  11. #11
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,788
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That price is a steal for that bike. Two things though. First,for the street you'll want to ditch the knobbie tires for some proper street ones. I'm partial to Michelin Transworld Citys and Specialized Nimbus Flak Jackets in 1.5" and Vittoria Adventures in 1.75". Save the knobbies in case you want to ride off road or in the snow. Second,you don't really need that fork for the street. I'm going to guess it can be locked solid,but when time/finances permit I'd recommend swapping it for a rigid fork to save weight and increase efficiency.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  12. #12
    Senior Member acroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas Suburbpopolis
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wnij
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to bikes and was wondering what you guys thought about the K2 Zed 4.0 2006 edition. The statistics of this bike are as follows:

    Frame: Reflex Mountain, 6061 aluminum, replaceable hanger and disc brake mount
    Fork: Answer Manitou Axel Super FFD-R, 100mm travel, with oil damping and rebound adjuster
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X-Gen
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-7
    Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Brakes Levers: Hayes Sole
    Brakes: Hayes Sole hydraulic discs
    Chain: KMC Z9000
    Crankset: Truvativ 5D, Powerspline, 22/32/44T
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 cassette, 11-32T, nine speed
    Pedals: Alloy MTB

    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline, sealed cartridge
    Headset: 1 1/8" threadless, Intellaset style
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Comp
    Seat Post: Aluminum microadjust, 350mm
    Handlebar: Butted alloy riser bar
    Grips: WTB Moto
    Stem: Alloy threadless
    Tires: WTB Mutano Raptor 26x2.14"
    Wheelset: Sun CR-18 double-wall rims, Shimano disc-specific hubs and 32 black stainless spokes / wheel
    Weight: 30.6 lbs.
    Color: Smoke

    The retail is apparently $900, but it is being sold at $499. Is this a steal?? Should I get this bike so that I can commute to work on a daily basis? Thank you muchos.


    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8293/.f
    this is a good deal for the price. Nice hydro brakes, nice drivetrain, decent shock. My wife has been riding a lower-end K2 for a few years and we have been happy with it. As others have said, it's a far-east mass-produced bike, prolly made under contract by Giant or someone. Nothing special but can't really go wrong either.

    That said, make sure you want to commute on a mtn bike - I do (a 4" travel front-suspended slick-tired bike), but most commuters are on road bikes or hybrids. I would be too but the "pavement" i ride is nasty and i just plain feel more secure & safe on the mtb.
    beer-bottle target

  13. #13
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a K2 Attack.

    I find it good for offroad/mountain stuff.

    Someone commented on it today.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you guys had to choose, would you get the K2 Astro 5.0? or the Trek 7.5 fx disc?

    The specs for Astral are:
    Frame: Reflex Road, butted 6061 aluminum, with flat oval top tube and replaceable hanger Fork: Dynamic Carbon Damping carbon fiber straight blades with chromoly steerer tube Rear Shock: N/A Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-R443, for flat bar road bikes Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra Shifters: Shimano R-440 Rapidfire Plus, for flat bar road bikes Brakes Levers: Alloy MTB levers Brakes: Alloy, short-arm linear pull Chain: KMC Z9000 Crankset: Truvativ Isoflow Road, 30/42/52T Cassette: SRAM PG-950 cassette, 12-26T, nine speed Pedals: Road with steel rear cage, toe clips and straps Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline, sealed cartridge Headset: 1 1/8" threadless, Intellaset style Saddle: K2 Road Sport, with gel padding and dual material cover Seat Post: Aluminum microadjust, 300mm Handlebar: Alloy flat bar, 580mm wide, with ergonomic alloy bar ends Grips: Dual-density MTB design Stem: Alloy threadless Tires: Kenda Kwest, 700Cx28mm Wheelset: alco DRX 2000 double-wall rims, alloy double-sealed hubs and 32 stainless spokes / wheel Weight: 24.8 lbs. Color: Charcoal


    The specs for Trek are:
    Frame FX Alpha Hydroformed Aluminum Fork Bontrager Satellite Plus, carbon Wheels Wheels Bontrager SSR Tires Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, 700x32c Drivetrain Shifters Shimano Deore, 9 speed Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crank Shimano M443 Octalink 48/36/26 Cassette SRAM PG950 11-26, 9 speed Pedals Alloy Components Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Sport Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise Stem Bontrager Select, 10 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Avid SD-3 w/Tektro levers

    The price points to Trek, but I think the components in the K2 may be slightly better... What are your thoughts ?

  15. #15
    Luggite bsyptak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say 7.5fx disc, but the specs are for the v-brake model. Which one do you mean? I'll assume the v-brake model.

    I'd say they are basically identical specwise. Comes down to fit, feel, price, weight, color.

  16. #16
    Mmmmm potatoes idcruiserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my 3rd K2. IMO they are well spec'd for the price. I just bought the Apache 5.0 from Randall Scott. It has similar level parts. I decided to upgrade the brakes after reading many bad reviews of the Hayes Sole. That being said, I wouldn't commute on a mountain bike.
    Idaho

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Astral 5.0 has road bike geometry and the 7.5fx does not. That makes a pretty big difference in feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by o0wnij View Post
    If you guys had to choose, would you get the K2 Astro 5.0? or the Trek 7.5 fx disc?

    The specs for Astral are:
    Frame: Reflex Road, butted 6061 aluminum, with flat oval top tube and replaceable hanger Fork: Dynamic Carbon Damping carbon fiber straight blades with chromoly steerer tube Rear Shock: N/A Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-R443, for flat bar road bikes Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra Shifters: Shimano R-440 Rapidfire Plus, for flat bar road bikes Brakes Levers: Alloy MTB levers Brakes: Alloy, short-arm linear pull Chain: KMC Z9000 Crankset: Truvativ Isoflow Road, 30/42/52T Cassette: SRAM PG-950 cassette, 12-26T, nine speed Pedals: Road with steel rear cage, toe clips and straps Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline, sealed cartridge Headset: 1 1/8" threadless, Intellaset style Saddle: K2 Road Sport, with gel padding and dual material cover Seat Post: Aluminum microadjust, 300mm Handlebar: Alloy flat bar, 580mm wide, with ergonomic alloy bar ends Grips: Dual-density MTB design Stem: Alloy threadless Tires: Kenda Kwest, 700Cx28mm Wheelset: alco DRX 2000 double-wall rims, alloy double-sealed hubs and 32 stainless spokes / wheel Weight: 24.8 lbs. Color: Charcoal


    The specs for Trek are:
    Frame FX Alpha Hydroformed Aluminum Fork Bontrager Satellite Plus, carbon Wheels Wheels Bontrager SSR Tires Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, 700x32c Drivetrain Shifters Shimano Deore, 9 speed Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crank Shimano M443 Octalink 48/36/26 Cassette SRAM PG950 11-26, 9 speed Pedals Alloy Components Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Sport Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise Stem Bontrager Select, 10 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Avid SD-3 w/Tektro levers

    The price points to Trek, but I think the components in the K2 may be slightly better... What are your thoughts ?

  18. #18
    Wildman in the Sky voileauciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Brunswick, NJ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Bergamo
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to build them at Sports Authority. They're not bad, but the frames are heavy, as has already been noted. The welds aren't as pretty as a Bianchi or a Specialized, but for commuting, it definitely has the advantage of being an lesser-known marque.

    Buy it and ride it into the ground!
    "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."

  19. #19
    Pedaling fool ShinyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voileauciel View Post
    I used to build them at Sports Authority. They're not bad, but the frames are heavy, as has already been noted. The welds aren't as pretty as a Bianchi or a Specialized, but for commuting, it definitely has the advantage of being an lesser-known marque.

    Buy it and ride it into the ground!
    Thanks.

    I seem to remember a thread about SA K2s that were not found on the official k2 site. Are they the same bikes just rebadged?

  20. #20
    Wildman in the Sky voileauciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Brunswick, NJ
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Bergamo
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might very well have been...we had mostly their cruiser models in stock, and a few mountain bikes from them as well. Their hybrids, when we had them, were on the website. But you know how it goes with these big-box retailers: Schwinn makes the varsity specifically for the X-Marts, and so on and so forth.

    As far as I know, the K2s that we sold were made by Kent, though I cannot be 100% certain of that.

    I do know, however, that I never had one come back with problems. Now, Mongoose and some of the other generic brands were a whole different story.....
    "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."

  21. #21
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,788
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both the Astral and 7.5 are a bit pricey for the specs. Kona's Dews,Jamis' Codas,and REI's Big Buzz are all in the same price range and specced better.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •