Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tire Blistering?

    I was on my way home from work today and had an unusual event. Sometimes my tire will pick up a little tar from the road on a hot day. It sticks to the tire and picks up a little bit of small rocks, so I stop and pull it off and go on. I thought that was what was going on today. But when I stopped I had a big bubble forming on my tire. I thought well great, not quite half way home. I decided to ride it until it popped and call "Budget and Finance" to pick me up. It finally popped a half mile later. To my surprise the tire was still inflated and did not feel even low. I finished the additional 6 miles, and rode another 10 tonight with no problems. I guess an outer layer of the tire formed a bubble and popped. I have never seen or heard of anything like this happening. I haven't inspected closely but I really can't see where it was.

    Has anyone had this happen or know what caused it?
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caused by poorly bonded layer of rubber. Small pocket of air expends when heated and blows out the layer - something like the foam insulation getting blown off the Shuttle fuel tank, except it is reducing pressure outside rather than expension inside that causes the blow out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee hee. Ni Hau Ma?

    Chinese made tires, by chance? The Chinese tire scandal that rocked the automotive world this summer spreads its cancer to bicycle world.
    Mike

  4. #4
    Support JDRF b_young's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a stock tire on the Specialized Sirrus. Specialized all season. I failed to mention that the tire has 1400 miles on it. And I carry a lot of weight on the commuter with a trunk pannier. The tires do need replacing and I thought I was having a major blowout that would force the issue. But they are still at 105 psig. Very odd though.

    Chinese made space shuttle tires. I guess that pretty much sums it up?
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it is called the present." - Kung Fu Panda

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1LG/weight.png

  5. #5
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    Caused by poorly bonded layer of rubber. Small pocket of air expends when heated and blows out the layer - something like the foam insulation getting blown off the Shuttle fuel tank, except it is reducing pressure outside rather than expension inside that causes the blow out.

    Not to be nit-pickin but:

    The foam insulation falls off the shuttle during launch because it's poorly bonded or the bonding has failed due to the super cold nature of the interface.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_young View Post
    It is a stock tire on the Specialized Sirrus. Specialized all season. I failed to mention that the tire has 1400 miles on it. And I carry a lot of weight on the commuter with a trunk pannier. The tires do need replacing and I thought I was having a major blowout that would force the issue. But they are still at 105 psig. Very odd though.

    Chinese made space shuttle tires. I guess that pretty much sums it up?
    The only time I have seen the skins bubble on a tire is when you wear a tire right down to the threads. Usually, a tire lasts a lot longer than 1400 miles, though.

    Hmm. Oh well. Sounds like new tire time to me.
    Mike

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber View Post
    The foam insulation falls off the shuttle during launch because it's poorly bonded or the bonding has failed due to the super cold nature of the interface.
    the poor bonding provides a space for air between the tank and foam, as the rocket rises the reduced air pressure outside allows the pressure of the gas inside to push off the piece of foam. The low temp forms ice on the foam, it is this ice that does the damage rather than the foam.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •