Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    which internal Gear hub?

    I'm looking into building up a bike with an internal gear hub and wanted some feedback. I'm looking for a hub that can take a beating. If I had loads of money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a Rolhoff, but thats not in the budget.

    Background on the bike: Its going to be a intown, college commuter. I'm specifically going to build/weld the frame to the hub (internal routing, track drops, sliding disc dropouts if going with a disc version). 26" wheels with pretty standard 26" mountain bike geometry w/ridged fork.

    So Sram (i-Motion 9, or S7), Shimano (Alfine, Nexus 8, Nexus 7), Sturmey-Archer (S80)

  2. #2
    I am the Eggman Mooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In town, college, commuter.

    Have you considered one of these?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

    So unstylish it's zub-sero cool.

  3. #3
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shimano Nexus series has a pretty decent track record. The Sturmey is less expensive initially but I am not sure about the durability on them. There were some issues when the production first started up.

    SRAM is an unknown to me...I have heard of it but have no firsthand experience with it.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  4. #4
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want sliding dropouts or horizontal dropouts, disk or no disk (although you can take up chain slack with a tensioner like the Surly Singulator or On-One Doofer).

    If you can get your hands on an Alfine go that route, they're new to the US and I'd love to see a review; the Europeans seem to like the a lot.

  5. #5
    Guy on a Bike TreeUnit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    C-Bus
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
    Background on the bike: Its going to be a intown, college commuter. I'm specifically going to build/weld the frame to the hub (S80)
    Not a good idea. Bolts work just as well. You can't get the perfect amount of chain tension if you can't move your hub. You won't be able to change tires and you won't be able to fix a flat easily. You will never be able to use the hub or the frame again if you weld.


    As for hubs, I have a ShimNex Inter-7 w/coaster brake. I like it, but it's a bit heavy. I find the coaster brake paticularly useful, but it takes some getting used to. I believe the Inter-8 is almost identical to my hub, except that it has one more gear instead of the coaster.

    I have put together a bike with a Modern StAr 3-speed. The paticular model had a very limited range of gears (75%, 100% and 133%). I would not recommend such a limited range for a relatively strong cyclist. (I myself could barely feel the differnce between the highest and lowest gears).

    thats all I know.

  6. #6
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^
    I didn't catch that. Yeah, welding you wheel to the frame is a poor idea at best. If you are worried about wheel theft use pitlocks and a good u-lock. Also park next to carbon racers with quick release wheels and cable locks too.

  7. #7
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,377
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before you pick your hub, I suggest looking at the following things on the one(s) you are considering:

    1. Gear ratios (use Sheldon Brown's gear calculator!) The way the different brands and models are geared will make a difference, depending on your wheel size. The Sturmey-Archer is ideal for bikes with small wheels (I have them on two bikes with 16" wheels).

    2. How the shift cable attaches to the hub, and how you adjust it. I used to ride a nexus-inter-4, and it was a real pain to adjust the cable, in contrast, say, to either the Sturmey-Archer 3 or 8 (though the SA 3 is easier to adjust than the SA 8).

    3. How the shift cable attaches to the hub, and how durable it will be. On the Nexus and SA-8 the cable attaches on the inside of the frame, while on the SA-3 (and all the SRAM's, I think) it attaches to the end of the axle, i.e. on the outside of the frame. This is potentially more easily damaged (but the old SA-3's are really tough anyway).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeUnit View Post
    Not a good idea. Bolts work just as well. You can't get the perfect amount of chain tension if you can't move your hub. You won't be able to change tires and you won't be able to fix a flat easily. You will never be able to use the hub or the frame again if you weld.


    As for hubs, I have a ShimNex Inter-7 w/coaster brake. I like it, but it's a bit heavy. I find the coaster brake paticularly useful, but it takes some getting used to. I believe the Inter-8 is almost identical to my hub, except that it has one more gear instead of the coaster.

    I have put together a bike with a Modern StAr 3-speed. The paticular model had a very limited range of gears (75%, 100% and 133%). I would not recommend such a limited range for a relatively strong cyclist. (I myself could barely feel the differnce between the highest and lowest gears).

    thats all I know.
    no, no, I'm not welding the hub to the frame. I'm building the frame to the specs of the hub.

  9. #9
    Pedaling fool ShinyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
    ^^^^
    I didn't catch that. Yeah, welding you wheel to the frame is a poor idea at best. If you are worried about wheel theft use pitlocks and a good u-lock. Also park next to carbon racers with quick release wheels and cable locks too.

    Allen,
    That may be a positive of internal hub vs. exposed gear bike. Thieves will always favor QR hubs over bikes with bolt nuts. I've never seen this as an advantage in a interal hubbed bike.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBiker View Post
    Allen,
    That may be a positive of internal hub vs. exposed gear bike. Thieves will always favor QR hubs over bikes with bolt nuts. I've never seen this as an advantage in a interal hubbed bike.
    I only want an internal gear to make it look clean and to try something new. Theft isnt a problem in my area so qr vs bolt on isnt an issue.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,815
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
    I'm looking into building up a bike with an internal gear hub and wanted some feedback. I'm looking for a hub that can take a beating. If I had loads of money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get a Rolhoff, but thats not in the budget.

    Background on the bike: Its going to be a intown, college commuter. I'm specifically going to build/weld the frame to the hub (internal routing, track drops, sliding disc dropouts if going with a disc version). 26" wheels with pretty standard 26" mountain bike geometry w/ridged fork.

    So Sram (i-Motion 9, or S7), Shimano (Alfine, Nexus 8, Nexus 7), Sturmey-Archer (S80)
    Shimano Nexus 7 or 8. I have the Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub installed on my Raleigh Superbe and its durable. Its no worse than the original Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that it replaced.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be sure to look at the NuVinci


    nuvinci.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,815
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap View Post
    be sure to look at the NuVinci


    nuvinci.com
    I have that one installed on my Peugeot PX10. I still can't say how good it is as a hub. It was heavy but then again I like being an early adopter of new technology

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nuvinci weighs 4,200g (according to QBP) and costs more than twice as much as a nexus 8 hub (at my cost)

    On a bike like this, weight isn't too much of a concern but since I'm a roadie, i really don't like the idea of doubling the weight of my bike with just the rear hub. I'm building this cause i dont want to be riding my Record bike to class. Also the cost and unproven longterm durability

  15. #15
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,956
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
    I have that one installed on my Peugeot PX10. I still can't say how good it is as a hub. It was heavy but then again I like being an early adopter of new technology
    Real Early Adapter! How available is this item besides in press releases?

  16. #16
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the Nexus 8 "Red Band" version. It is lighter and has better bearings than the standard Nexus 8 by most accounts. Are you in Athens, Ohio?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Real Early Adapter! How available is this item besides in press releases?
    NuVinci hubs have been on the market for a while, looks like the first batch is almost gone through at my distributor.

  18. #18
    Administrator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Real Early Adapter! How available is this item besides in press releases?
    Seattle Bicycle Supply carries them, so most any LBS can get one in now. I have one on my cargo bike.
    Nice item, and impressively smooth, nicest shifter of any hub I've ridden, great riding hub in general.
    They also have a quiet clutch, no click, clack when coasting.

  19. #19
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a difference in quality between the Nexus 7 and 8 besides the extra speed? I've heard anecdotally that the 8 is "smoother" but I can't really find anything definitive on that.
    Good night...and good luck

  20. #20
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
    The nuvinci weighs 4,200g (according to QBP) and costs more than twice as much as a nexus 8 hub (at my cost)

    On a bike like this, weight isn't too much of a concern but since I'm a roadie, i really don't like the idea of doubling the weight of my bike with just the rear hub. I'm building this cause i dont want to be riding my Record bike to class. Also the cost and unproven longterm durability
    There is a strong advocate of the NuVinci hub in the folding bikes forum. My instinct would be to stick with the Nexus 8 Redband. Given the gear range, it is lighter and smoother by most reports than the alternatives. Sheldon Brown seems to be a strong advocate of the hub.

    The Sturmey Archer 8 is not a bad hub, by the way. I have worked out a few bugs and it operates well on my folding bike. But given that the direct drive is the lowest gear, it is inappropriate for most full sized bikes.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    I would go with the Nexus 8 "Red Band" version. It is lighter and has better bearings than the standard Nexus 8 by most accounts. Are you in Athens, Ohio?

    yup, atown.
    Last edited by nitropowered; 08-21-07 at 06:05 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
    yup, atown.
    Home sweet home. Riding up Jeff Hill was always a kid's hill climbing challenge.

    Good luck on the build.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thanks. I used to ride fixed gear (50x19) but going to sell that to build up my cross bike. Also since I've started building frames, i'm going to build this new bike. I thought about single speed, but with time split between working at the bike shop, class (maybe), my framebuilding, and training, i figured i want something with gears. I want it to look clean like a SS so internal gear popped in my mind.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,815
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap View Post
    NuVinci hubs have been on the market for a while, looks like the first batch is almost gone through at my distributor.
    I tried it on my commuter... the hub is heavy as hell but you don't notice it on the bicycle. I must say after a ride, the Nuvinci grip shift twister is completely intuitive. Even a child can learn to operate this system. Its really simple to use and instead of having two shifters, there's just one! I like it so much I can't wait for a disc compatible MTB model to become available!

  25. #25
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    The Sturmey Archer 8 is not a bad hub, by the way. I have worked out a few bugs and it operates well on my folding bike. But given that the direct drive is the lowest gear, it is inappropriate for most full sized bikes.
    Why? Just because you have to use a small chainwheel? This causes your group to get more cavities or what?

    TCS
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •