Yeah I know.. DUH.. Even the Marathon Plus with Mr Tuffy line and a Thorn Resistant Tube wasn't enough.
Just wanted to post it because it took me 20 minutes to patch the tube because even after 2,000 miles of the tires being on there they are absolutely a huge PITA to put on and take off my A319 Mavic Rims. Of course those 2,000 miles had me going over goat heads and crushing bear bottles with impunity but just one 1/2 barbed nail angled just right did me in.
Since Tuesday evening I had been hearing this occasional clicking from the rear and didnt' know what it was. Check the spokes, chain, wheel, brakes and quick release nada. Today I did my weekly tire check and it wouldn't go up over 80 and then it just dropped completely. Checked around and found a half inch nail that I had to pry out of the tire because of the barbs. I also noticed I probably need to order some replacements for the rear because there is no tread left at all. I guess concrete eats tires as well as cowboy boot soles.
Took me 5 minutes to get part of the tire off with tire levers to get to the tube.
A few seconds to patch with my park tool glue patches.
Then 15 minutes of knuckle scraping with soap and two tire levers to get the tires back on. This is not something I could do with the wheel on the bike.
I'm thinking about getting some slime or similar. That hole was soo small and my tires are already sooo heavy it isn't likely to make me any slower. If all that can get through is a small, long, pointy object slime might save me alot of trouble especially after I put my xtracycle kit on.