Suggestions for '78 Schwinn Traveler commuter
I would like to bike to work (a job that I'll hopefully get at the end of the week) and do some other errands with. This past summer I bought a '78 Schwinn Traveler, all original, just needs a few touch ups of paint. Anyway could anyone point me in a few directions on the extra acessories? I'm on a very tight budget, would like to keep this all at least under $100.
1) I'm taking off the beater pedals on the bike and relplacing them with the MKS GR-9 pedals / Toe clip / Strap combo from Ben's Cycle for $45. Should hold up fine I'm guessing and look nice with the bike.
2) Headlight / Taillight: I'm a bit in the dark on this one... Never used lights before, so don't know anything. Are any of the light combo deals that you see on Nashbar, etc. bright enough for commuting in the dark?
3) Fenders: I've read in this forum that they're recommended. Again, going with retro idea I'd like fenders that have the chrome look. Can I find a pair of these and still stay within my budget?
4) Rear rack: I'm guessing I should commute, do some errands first before I decide if I need one. The job that I'm hoping to get has a very casual atmosphere so stuffing clothes and shoes in a messenger bag shouldn't be a problem. Again, if I get a rack I'd like one that is "chrome" or at least gray, raw metal.
Other things: The wheels are the original bolt on 27 inchers so I'm thinking of upgrading - probably in the second phase of adding extras bc I don't have the funds right now. My concern is if they'll hold up ok (they seem to fine so far) and if they'll hold up for winter riding. That brings me to another question - is the bike suitable for winter riding...in Madison, WI? Are knobby tires or studs available in 27 inch?
This is a bit longer than I planned but if I forgot anything please say so. Thanks for the all the help!!!
Did some more web browsing to get some ideas on stuff -
1) Still going with the MKS pedal deal
2) Seems to be some pretty decent deals on Nashbar for headlights. I'm looking at the Cateye EL-510, the Planet Bike Super Spot, or a Nashbar light (if I can find some reviews). Any body have any yays or nays on these?
3) I'm wondering if the silver metal fuller fenders might be too much for winter riding - as in they won't let me fit wider knobbies. So maybe I'll be getting the more basic (and less expensive) black plastic ones.
4) I might end up getting a rack right away bc like I said I'd like to do some errands with the bike. The TransIt Rack from Performance or the Ascent Basic Rear Rack from Nashbar (anyone know the weight capacity?). Again anyone have any info on these?