Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    El Duderino
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek Portland
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Headlight recomendations

    I already have a 3-LED light for my bike, which is good so cars can see me, but i would like to see the road, and my light isn't strong enough for that. What light recomendations can you guys give me so that i can see the potholes in the road BEFORE i run them over? Most strong halogen lights come with battery packs, but i am sort of a bike-locking saftey freak; i take no chances with my bike or anything ever getting stolen, so i take EVERYTHING off it. How easy is it to remove a battery pack, or the lights that come with it?
    For the last time, we DON'T make snickers Frapaccinos...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zionsville, IN
    My Bikes
    Fugi Allegro (retired, cracked frame), Sears 3-Speed, Trek 720, Raliegh Technium E-bike
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dionitte on my helmet, easy to take on and off, lightweight and a good beam. I have the most recent cateye 5100?? on my bar, and I think I need one more. The catyeyes each take 4 AA and slide right off there mount. The are supposed to be waterproof, so far for me that is true. I say I am going to add another because I week ago I went over the bars because of a pothole.
    Good Luck! Stay safe!
    Riding my bike will still make it go faster.
    1994 Trek 720 New commuter
    1980's Fugi Allegro Touring Bike (retired 8/19/08 cracked frame)
    1971 Sears 3- speed
    1980's Torpado Italia SS
    1990 Raleigh Technium E-bike

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Moots Psychlo-x ybb, Soma ES, Trek 950
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a Blackburn System X3 for about $85. Works great. Can see very well in the dark and it uses a smart charger.

    FYI, there is a whole lighting forum under the main area. Might be more help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reston, VA
    My Bikes
    2003 Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the helmet mount suggestion. It allows you to put light where you need it. Additionally, if you take your helmet with you, you don't even need to worry about removing the light to prevent theft.

  5. #5
    Señior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,739
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say what your budget is. Planet Bike has a totally self-contained HID with a rechargable LiIon battery built in.
    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3060.html
    Should remove as fast as your current light.
    Run time is 2.5 hours so you'll have to recharge it probably at least every other day, but since it's so easy to snap off and on that shouldn't be a problem.

    It is a lot of money though.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  6. #6
    ROM 6:23 flipped4bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinottes. Easy on, easy off whether on the bike or helmet.
    Every time we let a vehicle pass there is a little bit of compromise. But compromise allows the city to function and allows cyclists to function in the city. The trick is not to eliminate compromise but to learn how to work safely within it.

    --Robert Hurst

  7. #7
    Senior Member Intheloonybin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    My Bikes
    1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, how is your budget?

    I looked at http://nowbikes-fitness.com/itemdeta...gId=39&id=2206 with the guy I know there. We took it outside at night and he blinded me from across the parking lot.

    It was kewl!! I just have a night rider lead/acid battery and light (about $110 a few years ago). Would love the new one, but it's not in the budget! Studded tires first... LOL

  8. #8
    El Duderino
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek Portland
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. My budget is about $150 tops. Would like to stay about $100, but i'd spend more if i thought it would make a diference in performance or ease to take off. I guess i never really considered a light on my helmet because i never thought they'd be as strong as lights for the handlebars. Is that wrong? Also, I know the difference between LED and Halogen, but what is HID exactly? And which style (halogen, Led) is in general stronger than the rest?
    For the last time, we DON'T make snickers Frapaccinos...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Dual, Orbea Lobular Cyclocross, Breezer Zig7
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $150 I'd pick up one of the $15 dollar LED headlamps that Costco/etc have, and then a good handlebar headlight (the 200L by Dinotte during their recent sale would have been perfect)
    14 mile roundtrip commute, alternate running and riding one of :Cervelo Dual, Orbea Lobular Cyclocross, Breezer Zig7

  10. #10
    Senior Member uberclkgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    1993 Specialized Allez, 2003 Gios A70 Ultralite, 2002 Rossin Synthesis
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinotte is still having their sale on the 200L with a lithium-ion battery

    http://www.dinottelighting.com/

    I ordered one the other day for $159 shipped.

  11. #11
    Senior Member acroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas Suburbpopolis
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, Dinotte!

    And I will add: Consider Fenix. for $150 you can get 2 lights, 2 holders, batts, etc. And very flexible: both on bars, one on the helmet, different power levels. great products.


    https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71
    https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_65
    beer-bottle target

  12. #12
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,736
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardude7889 View Post
    Thanks guys. My budget is about $150 tops. Would like to stay about $100, but i'd spend more if i thought it would make a diference in performance or ease to take off. I guess i never really considered a light on my helmet because i never thought they'd be as strong as lights for the handlebars. Is that wrong? Also, I know the difference between LED and Halogen, but what is HID exactly? And which style (halogen, Led) is in general stronger than the rest?
    DIY. Look at some of my posts over on the Electronics forum or at the Singletrack thread here. I'll try to put together a cost sheet tonight.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  13. #13
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,736
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lamps

    Optronics QC-777 $20 JC Whitney

    Hampton Roads Pin Back track lamp $20 Home Depot

    MR16 12V 12° bulb $3 each Battery Space

    Wiring

    Remote switches $4 Battery Space

    Dean’s connectors $4 Hobby Town

    Polarized Speaker wire $10/spool Radio Shack

    Mounts

    Helmet mount $10 Battery Space

    Handlebar mount $ 10 ea Battery Space

    Space Bar $20 Performance

    1” aluminum tube (fits lights better ) for Spacebar $4 Local hardware store

    Batteries

    3.3 Ahr batteries $19 ea Battery Space

    Cage Rocket holder $10 ea REI

    Chargers Maha C777 Plus II $70 (I have 3! But you can get cheaper ones at Battery Space)

    Misc

    Velcro – sticky back and regular - $10 Local hardware store

    Misc nuts and bolts $5 Local hardware store


    For my 3 lights with all the stuff except the chargers, I have $294 in it plus shipping and tax.

    In all honesty, however, I had the batteries, the Spacebar, the battery holders, the wire, connectors, the bulbs and, finally, the chargers. I have another full set of lights that are based around Niterider lamp heads (similar to TrailRats) but juiced to 14.4V. They put out around 700 lumens per lamp which is very respectable. The Death Rays are just a fun experiment in how far over the top I can go

    Here's another DIY called the Pond Scum that's pretty slick too. Mine are a little more robust because they are metal housing. Price is about the same per lamp.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  14. #14
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,598
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Night Rover that is pretty decent, although I haven't used other systems to compare it. The NMH battery goes in a bottle holder and the headlight clips to a little band on the handlebars, so it is easy to take off and take with you, leaving only the little band on the bike. It has a 6 watt wide light and 10 watt more focused light. Lighting level is okay for me for what I do (riding on suburban streets and paved bike trails at about 15 mph max). I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't want to use it for mountain biking at anything over a walking speed.

    People's night vision can vary, so your results may vary.

  15. #15
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty nice setup cyccommute. What's your average runtime between charges?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    Lamps

    Optronics QC-777 $20 JC Whitney

    Hampton Roads Pin Back track lamp $20 Home Depot

    MR16 12V 12° bulb $3 each Battery Space

    Wiring

    Remote switches $4 Battery Space

    Dean’s connectors $4 Hobby Town

    Polarized Speaker wire $10/spool Radio Shack

    Mounts

    Helmet mount $10 Battery Space

    Handlebar mount $ 10 ea Battery Space

    Space Bar $20 Performance

    1” aluminum tube (fits lights better ) for Spacebar $4 Local hardware store

    Batteries

    3.3 Ahr batteries $19 ea Battery Space

    Cage Rocket holder $10 ea REI

    Chargers Maha C777 Plus II $70 (I have 3! But you can get cheaper ones at Battery Space)

    Misc

    Velcro – sticky back and regular - $10 Local hardware store

    Misc nuts and bolts $5 Local hardware store


    For my 3 lights with all the stuff except the chargers, I have $294 in it plus shipping and tax.

    In all honesty, however, I had the batteries, the Spacebar, the battery holders, the wire, connectors, the bulbs and, finally, the chargers. I have another full set of lights that are based around Niterider lamp heads (similar to TrailRats) but juiced to 14.4V. They put out around 700 lumens per lamp which is very respectable. The Death Rays are just a fun experiment in how far over the top I can go

    Here's another DIY called the Pond Scum that's pretty slick too. Mine are a little more robust because they are metal housing. Price is about the same per lamp.

  16. #16
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,736
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrkelley View Post
    That's a pretty nice setup cyccommute. What's your average runtime between charges?
    For the 3.3 Ahr battery, it's around 2 hours. That's enough for my commute in the darkest part of the winter with a little to spare. I have a 3.5 Ah and a 4.2 Ah pack that give me a bit more time.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyccommute,

    I completely respect your abilities but I have to tell you that not everyone is as mechanically inclined as yourself. I wish I was.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acroy View Post
    As others have said, Dinotte!

    And I will add: Consider Fenix. for $150 you can get 2 lights, 2 holders, batts, etc. And very flexible: both on bars, one on the helmet, different power levels. great products.


    https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71
    https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_65
    I don't understand what so hot about the Fenix light besides that it is small and now has a bar mount available. It is certainly a great little flash light for being seen but it is too weak to light up the road. The P2D's maximum output when not in S.O.S or strobe is only 40 lumens.

    I bought a NiteRider TrailRat with a 15w halogen bulb and that put out probably 300 lumens. And it's on sale at Performance for $109.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4320

    But the thing is it only last for 1:45 hours.
    Last edited by yamcha; 11-30-07 at 12:19 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Windsor, CO
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt very seriously that the Trail Rat (or any 15 watt halogen) puts out that kind of lumens.....I could be wrong. I just bought a Cygolite Dual Cross Li-ion (not the pro) and it puts out around 125 lumen for each light....and it absolutely blows away my 15 watt Marwi Nightpro.

  20. #20
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,736
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamcha View Post
    cyccommute,

    I completely respect your abilities but I have to tell you that not everyone is as mechanically inclined as yourself. I wish I was.
    I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one on TV

    Not much involved in it at all. The hardest thing was the wiring...and that's pretty simple. The light units are premade, the battery holders are off the shelf, the switches are prewired and the mounts are all commercial units. All that was involved in putting them together was attaching some bolts. Really simple. If I can do it, so can anyone.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  21. #21
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,736
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccd rider View Post
    I doubt very seriously that the Trail Rat (or any 15 watt halogen) puts out that kind of lumens.....I could be wrong. I just bought a Cygolite Dual Cross Li-ion (not the pro) and it puts out around 125 lumen for each light....and it absolutely blows away my 15 watt Marwi Nightpro.
    A 15W 6V MR11 puts out 300 lumens at 6 V. A 10W MR11 puts out 180 lm. Increase the voltage to 7.2V and the output about doubles.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam's Club is selling two waterproof 80 lumen LED flashlights for $28. No flashing capability, just on or off. They use 3 AAA batteries rather than what I prefer, AA. They have fairly narrow beams but using two seems adequate.

    Get two fully adjustable (so you can aim them just how you want to) flashlight mounts with quick releases for your handlebars.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    A 15W 6V MR11 puts out 300 lumens at 6 V. A 10W MR11 puts out 180 lm. Increase the voltage to 7.2V and the output about doubles.
    How do I increase the voltage to 7.2? Would that kill the battery life and bulb? As you can see, I am like a woman when it comes to technical stuff.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hemet,California
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamcha View Post
    How do I increase the voltage to 7.2? Would that kill the battery life and bulb? As you can see, I am like a woman when it comes to technical stuff.
    You build a pack with 6 cells in series instead of 5. Bulb life is shortened but bulbs are cheap for the amount of light you gain.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about battery life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •