Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-07, 11:57 AM   #1
scattered73
Justin
Thread Starter
 
scattered73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bayou City
Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme good commuting tire?

Anyone have experience on these? I have been looking to change my tires on my cyclocross/commuter am currently running ritchey speedmax 35 while these are ok for getting around on pavement but they seem a little overkill for pavement purposes.
scattered73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 12:02 PM   #2
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure the supremes would be great. I have been riding/commuting on the marathon plus for 2 years and couldn't be happier. They are a little heavier but look to be cheaper and offer more protection than the supreme. Either way schwalbes are the way to go.

wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 12:27 PM   #3
Phil F
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwalbe tyres

I use Marathon Plus; commuting for over a year with no punctures and very smooth and comfortable. They come in 1.5 and 1.75 inch.
Phil F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 12:52 PM   #4
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes.
See my post here:
http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...94#post5540994
Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 12:59 PM   #5
Bob T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanders View Post
I'm sure the supremes would be great. I have been riding/commuting on the marathon plus for 2 years and couldn't be happier. They are a little heavier but look to be cheaper and offer more protection than the supreme. Either way schwalbes are the way to go.

I would like to get these to replace my armadillos as I still get more flats that I would like.

What are the marathon's like on snow and ice?
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 01:07 PM   #6
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^

A studded tire is recommended for snow and ice.
Ziemas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 01:26 PM   #7
Bolo Grubb
Senior Member
 
Bolo Grubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just started riding Marathon Plus and really like them.
Bolo Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 01:43 PM   #8
thdave
Senior Member
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got Marathon Plus on the back and Marathon 2006 on the front tire. No flats in about 1400 miles. Last year, with the OEP tires on my Breezer, I had 12 flats. There is a lot of debris on my MUP I ride. I trust these tires.

I looked at the Supreme, but they didn't have the size I needed.
thdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 02:02 PM   #9
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
I would like to get these to replace my armadillos as I still get more flats that I would like.

What are the marathon's like on snow and ice?
Think about walking up a 45 degree incline of solid stainless steel plate... in wool socks.
Wash your hands with Phil's Tenacious... and try to go rock climbing.
Bail a sinking ship... with a thimble.


I've got Marathon+ tires on my commuter, and the minute the snow coats the pavement it's dangerous.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 02:52 PM   #10
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
I would like to get these to replace my armadillos as I still get more flats that I would like.

What are the marathon's like on snow and ice?
Warm and cozy... in the garage. I'm too big of a wuss to commute in snow and ice. If I can get by with a "work from home" - telecommuting - I stay home. I don't even like to drive in it.
wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 03:23 PM   #11
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ran the supremes on my cross bike for a while. I removed them when I sold the bike and will remount them when my current tires need replacing.

They're definitely nice tires if the price tag doesn't bother you. Comfortable, tons of traction and should be pretty flat-resistant - though I didn't ride them long enough to say for sure.

They remind me of smaller Big Apples. I wish they made them a little narrower, but I wouldn't think twice about buying them for a cross/touring bike. They share few, if any traits with the regular Marathon, and especially the Plus. They're considerably lighter.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 04:26 PM   #12
Bob T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
Think about walking up a 45 degree incline of solid stainless steel plate... in wool socks.
Wash your hands with Phil's Tenacious... and try to go rock climbing.
Bail a sinking ship... with a thimble.


I've got Marathon+ tires on my commuter, and the minute the snow coats the pavement it's dangerous.
That's what I was afraid of.....

Winters here are generally mild, and when it does go below freezing it is usually dry. There are only a handful of days when the roads are truly treacherous.

It would be nice if Schwalbe offered an "all-season" tire. Something combining the flat protection of a Marathon+ with a more aggressive tread for better traction during the winter.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 04:29 PM   #13
greenstork
Senior Member
 
greenstork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, let me say that I'm partial commuting on tires with pretty high pressure, at least 85 psi usually but I prefer more like 100-110 psi. I was commuting on the Marathon Supremes for a while and loved them. They ride really smooth, noticeably smoother rolling than Armadillos and even many of the other marathons. They can be inflated to a pretty high pressure, plenty high enough for my commuting preferences. However, and this is ultimately why I have taken them off the bike, they lose pressure rather quickly and settle in to the 65-70 psi range after a few days to a week of not inflating the tires. This was my only beef, but for 37mm tires they are surprisingly versatile and smooth riding.
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 04:49 PM   #14
truman
It's true, man.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Texas
Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
Posts: 2,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
That's what I was afraid of.....

Winters here are generally mild, and when it does go below freezing it is usually dry. There are only a handful of days when the roads are truly treacherous.

It would be nice if Schwalbe offered an "all-season" tire. Something combining the flat protection of a Marathon+ with a more aggressive tread for better traction during the winter.

It's called the "Marathon Cross"
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 05:17 PM   #15
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few notes
Most posters are actually talking about the Marathon Plus, which is an entirely different tire than the Marathon Supreme. Different Material, thread, weight, price, etc. Kind of like apples and oranges
I know because in my familiy we have both...

The comparison
-The Supreme is the high end tire in the Marathon line; the Plus is the de-facto standard tire touring bikes (some people might disagree)
-The Supreme is a lot lighter than the Plus: 430 g compared to 800g for 700x32C
-The Supreme is more expensive than the Plus: $46 vs. $30
-They get similar ratings (from the manufacturer) on flat resistance. Whereas the Plus creates it resistance by increasing the thickness of the tire tread, the Supreme achieves that by using some high tech fiber.
-The Supreme gets a better Winter rating than the Plus (again, from the manufacturer). Since this is a relative new tire, I doubt that anybody has any real experience with using the Supreme in the snow yet.
-The Supreme gets a better rating on wet pavement than the Plus
-Both the Supreme and the Plus roll smooth, although the comparison is subjective, since I haven't tried them on the same bike

Why don't you compare it for yourself:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires

Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:00 PM   #16
Jeffbeerman2
Senior Member
 
Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wichita KS USA
Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another thread about the Marathon Supreme.

Another bunch of replies about Marathon Plus

And still no one with feedback who has ridden them for any number of miles with real feedback on flat resistance

I'm currently torn between getting these or Armadillo Elites to replace my too-fat big apples. I've actually ridden armadillos and know they work, and the elites aren't that heavy, so will probably go that way.

Schwalbe would do themselves a big favor if they gave a bunch of journalists these tires so someone besides Schwalbe had something good to say about them. (or they could mail them to me, I'd post about em here )
Jeffbeerman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:26 PM   #17
makeinu
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstork View Post
First, let me say that I'm partial commuting on tires with pretty high pressure, at least 85 psi usually but I prefer more like 100-110 psi. I was commuting on the Marathon Supremes for a while and loved them. They ride really smooth, noticeably smoother rolling than Armadillos and even many of the other marathons. They can be inflated to a pretty high pressure, plenty high enough for my commuting preferences. However, and this is ultimately why I have taken them off the bike, they lose pressure rather quickly and settle in to the 65-70 psi range after a few days to a week of not inflating the tires. This was my only beef, but for 37mm tires they are surprisingly versatile and smooth riding.
Wouldn't this be a property of the tube rather than the tire?
makeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:11 PM   #18
greenstork
Senior Member
 
greenstork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeinu View Post
Wouldn't this be a property of the tube rather than the tire?
To clarify, I have working tubes, there's no puncture or anything. All tires gradually lose air and fall back to a comfortable range. For example, I inflate my Conti Grand Prix's to 100-110 psi, but they're back to 85-90 in no time but it takes them a good couple of weeks to go down from there.
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:17 PM   #19
greenstork
Senior Member
 
greenstork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2 View Post
Another thread about the Marathon Supreme.

Another bunch of replies about Marathon Plus

And still no one with feedback who has ridden them for any number of miles with real feedback on flat resistance

I'm currently torn between getting these or Armadillo Elites to replace my too-fat big apples. I've actually ridden armadillos and know they work, and the elites aren't that heavy, so will probably go that way.

Schwalbe would do themselves a big favor if they gave a bunch of journalists these tires so someone besides Schwalbe had something good to say about them. (or they could mail them to me, I'd post about em here )
I never had a flat running the Marathon Supremes for about 1,000 miles. I've ridden on armadillos and regular old marathons and these supremes are in a class of their own in terms of smoothness of ride. They seemed very very solid in terms of puncture protection, like all marathons.
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:20 PM   #20
diesel_dad 
Senior Member
 
diesel_dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Bikes: Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have ridden about 2000 km on Marathon Supremes on my Surly LHT. The tires are smooth, fairly light and very flat resistant. I have never lost traction on any surface. I'd have to rate them as one of the best, albeit expensive, tires I have ever ridden. Overall, they are definitely better than Marathon Plus.

If I had one beef -- why not make them in 28-622 instead of 38-622. Then you'd have a real winner!
diesel_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:55 PM   #21
The Smokester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N. California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstork View Post
To clarify, I have working tubes, there's no puncture or anything. All tires gradually lose air and fall back to a comfortable range. For example, I inflate my Conti Grand Prix's to 100-110 psi, but they're back to 85-90 in no time but it takes them a good couple of weeks to go down from there.
Again, it's not the tire that looses pressure. It's the tube.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 11:07 PM   #22
greenstork
Senior Member
 
greenstork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Again, it's not the tire that looses pressure. It's the tube.
I feel like I'm belaboring the point, but I understand that all tires, tubes, whatever -- gradually lose pressure over time and the Supremes became too soft for my liking. If they had started at a higher pressure, I probably wouldn't have had as much of an issue, but their max psi (on my particular tires) is 85 psi. Fine for me fully inflated but like all tires that gradually lose air over time, they simply got too soft, too fast for my liking.

My experience is that tires, tubes, whatever, lose that first 20% of pressure much faster than the next 20%. I do believe that the Maximum PSI of the tire is a factor in this. YMMV.

Last edited by greenstork; 11-28-07 at 11:21 PM.
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 11:41 PM   #23
bwbass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got probably 750 miles on my supremes, 700 x 35. Like everyone else said, very light, very smooth rolling, nice ride. Not a flat yet, and wet traction is incredible - they just never slip (for me). Haven't gotten any snow or ice to try them on yet, though.
bwbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 01:09 PM   #24
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed today that the Marathon Supreme is now listed in a 32c size. Previously, the 35c was the smallest.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/37
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 01:49 PM   #25
Rayxt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Marathon performances

I've just retired a Marathon 700 x 35 (with the Kevlar belt) after 2 years and 5,000+ miles on London roads, which are a carpet of broken glass - no punctures. Ran it at 70-85 PSI on back then the front.

On the back I've had a Marathon Plus for 10 months, done 2,600 miles - 1 flat from a sharp piece of steel which would go through anything - and caused a micro slow leak. There are no significant cuts, nicks or groves in the rubber.

The Marathon Plus is NOT (in my experience) a tire to ride on snow or ice. Put any traction (or braking) force on it and it will slide out from under you in an instant.

Snow or ice for any great period is not a problem in London otherwise I would choose another Schwalbe tire with a different tread.

As I discovered from Schwalbe, once you start seeing nicks, cuts and bits of glass and rock embedded in the tire surface, you have worn through the outer hard wearing rubber compound and your tire is effectively at the end of its working life, ie, you can look forward to punctures every second day.

Once you see the 'blue' Smartguard on the Marathon Plus it's time to buy a new one.

Spa Cycles, Harrogate have them at the best price I ever found - GB20 each

Last edited by Rayxt; 01-01-08 at 01:57 PM.
Rayxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.