Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member acroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas Suburbpopolis
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alternatives to Dinotte XLS 600 Dual??

    Posting in both Electronics & Commuting, since this is about electronics for commuting

    I am very close to buying a Dinotte XLS 600 Dual. Are there any alternatives I should consider?

    The big reasons for purchasing:
    • Dual light heads – much more respect from cagers
    • Bright (doh!)
    • Simple, can run off 1 battery strapped to stem
    • Adequate run time (1.5-2hrs off 1 batt on HI)

    Not acceptable for me:
    • Bottle batteries
    • DIY - been there, not happy with complexity/frustration/weight…..

    Are there any comparable alternatives? Price is not a huge motivation. I use my lights a LOT, so am willing to shell out some change.

    I’m currently running dual Fenix P3D Premium, 215 lumen each on Turbo. Light output is OK (impressive considering size, weight, cost of light) but runtime has been disappointing. Commuting this AM in the rainy dark, with downed tree branches & crap on the roads from the storms, I was really wishing for more power also.

    Thanks!
    beer-bottle target

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen any comparos yet, but CygoLite claims they have upgraded the LEDs in their "3rd generation" Dualcross Pro models to be 30W halogen-equivalent. That could be hype, and I don't know how it compares to the XLS 600, but it does sound impressive. They use compact 4.8V (NiMh) or 3.8V (Li-ion) batteries that are meant for frame or stem mounting. And they're claiming run times of 3.5 hours and up.

  3. #3
    Trans-Urban Velocommando ax0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lenexa, KS
    My Bikes
    06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento
    Posts
    2,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want that kind of run time and light output, and don't want to roll-your-own, I think you'll have a hard time finding something that competes with the setup you're looking at.
    ax0n: Geeky and bikey
    My latest tip: Carrying your laptop
    My latest geeky project: Ethernet-testing cuff links

  4. #4
    Mirror slap survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acroy View Post
    Posting in both Electronics & Commuting, since this is about electronics for commuting

    I am very close to buying a Dinotte XLS 600 Dual. Are there any alternatives I should consider?

    The big reasons for purchasing:
    • Dual light heads – much more respect from cagers
    • Bright (doh!)
    • Simple, can run off 1 battery strapped to stem
    • Adequate run time (1.5-2hrs off 1 batt on HI)

    Not acceptable for me:
    • Bottle batteries
    • DIY - been there, not happy with complexity/frustration/weight…..

    Are there any comparable alternatives? Price is not a huge motivation. I use my lights a LOT, so am willing to shell out some change.

    I’m currently running dual Fenix P3D Premium, 215 lumen each on Turbo. Light output is OK (impressive considering size, weight, cost of light) but runtime has been disappointing. Commuting this AM in the rainy dark, with downed tree branches & crap on the roads from the storms, I was really wishing for more power also.

    Thanks!
    I have a 600L and the battery is a bit large to mount under my stem. I have to mount it under the top tube. That's a less than ideal situation.
    "When I'm on a bike, it's like I'm 14 again, racing off to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the Trinewt, but for the price and the brightness, I say the Dinotte looks like a SUPERB choice (espeically the combo with the taillight).

    Lupine has the brightest lights I've ever heard of, but the price is incredibly high, and the MTBAction review didn't like the quality of the battery connectors, among other things.

  6. #6
    Senior Member diesel_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other real high-end lights that come to mind are the Lupine Betty 6 & the Busch and Muller Big Bang. I have a Dinotte 600L, Dinotte 140A amber light and Dinotte Tail Light. I also have 2 X 4 cell and 2 X 2 cell batteries and 2 chargers. I love the modular nature of the system. It's like lego.

    After a few months of use, my biggest reservations on the Dinotte "system" are the plastic optics on the 600L, which look fragile, and the handlebar mount, which is tough to get on and off when locking up the bike.

  7. #7
    Senior Member acroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas Suburbpopolis
    Posts
    1,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_dad View Post
    After a few months of use, my biggest reservations on the Dinotte "system" are the plastic optics on the 600L, which look fragile, and the handlebar mount, which is tough to get on and off when locking up the bike.
    good to know, thanks
    beer-bottle target

  8. #8
    Mirror slap survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_dad View Post
    The other real high-end lights that come to mind are the Lupine Betty 6 & the Busch and Muller Big Bang. I have a Dinotte 600L, Dinotte 140A amber light and Dinotte Tail Light. I also have 2 X 4 cell and 2 X 2 cell batteries and 2 chargers. I love the modular nature of the system. It's like lego.

    After a few months of use, my biggest reservations on the Dinotte "system" are the plastic optics on the 600L, which look fragile, and the handlebar mount, which is tough to get on and off when locking up the bike.


    I have a 600L and I don't find it a problem to remove the light. Are you talking about removing the entire cam-lock mount? I would say that's difficult, but you don't need to do that. I just remove the light head most cases, and that takes a couple of seconds. If I was locking the bike up for an extended period, I'd also take the battery, but why take the mount? Nobody's going to steal that.
    "When I'm on a bike, it's like I'm 14 again, racing off to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters."

  9. #9
    Senior Member diesel_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwinnrider View Post
    I have a 600L and I don't find it a problem to remove the light. Are you talking about removing the entire cam-lock mount? I would say that's difficult, but you don't need to do that. I just remove the light head most cases, and that takes a couple of seconds. If I was locking the bike up for an extended period, I'd also take the battery, but why take the mount? Nobody's going to steal that.
    I leave the mount on the bike and try to slide the head off. I find it to be too finicky to do in cold dark conditions compared to my other light, a PrincetonTec Switchback 3. But it does not outweigh the otherwise great performance of the 600L.

  10. #10
    cheap for a roadie Hummeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Blue Norcross SP
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, shining all that light off the front of you bike will really slow you down. ;-)
    Ridley Excalibur
    Blue Norcross SP

  11. #11
    ^_^ Industrial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    My Bikes
    Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you're going to need at least 4 dinotte taillights to get some of that speed back! If you arrange them right, I bet you could look like a little corvette.
    "As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •