Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-08, 12:17 AM   #1
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How find out if a bike is stolen?

I'm looking to buy a bike on craigslist and I don't want to get one that's stolen. How do I find out if a bike I'm interested in is a stolen bike? Is there any way?
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 04:33 AM   #2
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if it's a decent bike, the owner should know a little about it or have the paperwork.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 05:34 AM   #3
RoadLoad
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As part of your negotiations, ask the seller to provide a written receipt with their name and address at a minimum. If they balk, that will tell you something is up.
RoadLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 12:37 AM   #4
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLoad View Post
As part of your negotiations, ask the seller to provide a written receipt with their name and address at a minimum. If they balk, that will tell you something is up.
When you say written receipt, do you mean for my purchase of their bike or for their original purchase? Because people rarely keep receipts from their old bike purchases.
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 04:42 PM   #5
remsav
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
When you say written receipt, do you mean for my purchase of their bike or for their original purchase? Because people rarely keep receipts from their old bike purchases.
I actually had someone ask me for a written receipt because he looked like a criminal and the price was too low on a walmart bike on sale for $75 that I sold for $25 just to get rid of quickly, just a piece of paper with my name, sale price... no problem.

I think it's a total waste of time but if it makes you feel better go for it.
remsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 03:31 PM   #6
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLoad View Post
As part of your negotiations, ask the seller to provide a written receipt with their name and address at a minimum. If they balk, that will tell you something is up.
+1. Put the serial # and both your signatures on it. Then if it ever gets stolen you have proof of ownership for the police.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 05:12 PM   #7
rwp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes:
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
+1. Put the serial # and both your signatures on it. Then if it ever gets stolen you have proof of ownership for the police.
Ask for his name to be printed and legible below the signature, then check his ID to make sure the name is real. If he stole the bike, there's no way he's going to do this.
rwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 07:46 AM   #8
GCRyder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
When you say written receipt, do you mean for my purchase of their bike or for their original purchase? Because people rarely keep receipts from their old bike purchases.
For the purchase you make of their bike. The theory is that a thief should be reluctant to give you evidence that he sold you the bike, if it's stolen. This assumes a modicum of intelligence in the thief, however.
GCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.