Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-08, 04:03 PM   #1
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Vs Marathon Plus - Any Real Life Experience?

My wife likes to commute in the spring and summer, but we have had a problem lately with massive amounts of broken glass around our neighborhood and in the Old City which she needs to commute through.

She currently has Marathon Plus tires on her commuter which have been problem free, but doesn't like them because they are slow and heavy. I'm thinking of putting some Marathon Supremes on her ride, but would like a tire that offers at least the same real world puncture protection as the Marathon Plus.

Has anyone used both of these tires that can comment on the puncture protection between the Plus and Supreme?

Thanks.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:11 PM   #2
DukeArcher 
Senior Member
 
DukeArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing has the puncture protection of the Marathon plus, and speed as well! (Can't have everything). The Supreme is a good tyre though, and does resist punctures, but it's still no match.
__________________
Sparsely updated blog
DukeArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:15 PM   #3
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeArcher View Post
Nothing has the puncture protection of the Marathon plus, and speed as well! (Can't have everything). The Supreme is a good tyre though, and does resist punctures, but it's still no match.
Thanks. Have you used both of them?

Last edited by Ziemas; 02-25-08 at 04:33 PM.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:37 PM   #4
DukeArcher 
Senior Member
 
DukeArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep - They are both good at what they say on the tin I used the Plus xtensively through Europe and my boss is in India at the moment on a long test of the Supremes.
__________________
Sparsely updated blog
DukeArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:43 PM   #5
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeArcher View Post
Yep - They are both good at what they say on the tin
Odd thing is that the Supreme claims to have better puncture protection than the Plus. While I was the the local Schwalbe distributor the other day I was surprised at just how thin the Supreme is, and how easy it is to puncture with a thumb tack.


"High-density woven Vectran is Schwalbe's highest level of puncture protection."
http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/bicyc...bPoint=On+Tour
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 05:11 PM   #6
TRUMPHENT
Dave
 
TRUMPHENT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Homestead FL
Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked up a really useful tip on the road cycling forum. Wear gloves, my idea, the tip is to rake the tire with fingertips occasionally. A few repetitions and you have learned to reach the tire surface with fingertips while in motion.

I have made it a habit. It works well, especially at night. I have spotted several shards of glass flipping up into my headlight beam while doing this.

There are several intersections on my commute that are always littered with glass and I can't avoid it due to traffic.

My flat prevention consists of kevlar belted tires, Mr Tuffy liners and the tip mentioned above. It represents my learning curve and it is a proven strategy for reducing flat tires attributed to road hazard glass.

Super sharp, small diameter metal objects like staples or tire belt wire will always go through everything.
TRUMPHENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 06:02 PM   #7
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!
 
oboeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUMPHENT View Post
I picked up a really useful tip on the road cycling forum. Wear gloves, my idea, the tip is to rake the tire with fingertips occasionally. A few repetitions and you have learned to reach the tire surface with fingertips while in motion.

I have made it a habit. It works well, especially at night. I have spotted several shards of glass flipping up into my headlight beam while doing this.

There are several intersections on my commute that are always littered with glass and I can't avoid it due to traffic.

My flat prevention consists of kevlar belted tires, Mr Tuffy liners and the tip mentioned above. It represents my learning curve and it is a proven strategy for reducing flat tires attributed to road hazard glass.

Super sharp, small diameter metal objects like staples or tire belt wire will always go through everything.
Be VERY CAREFUL if you do this to not get your fingers caught in the spokes or it's buh-bye, fingertips. It's happened to at least one careless pro, Daniel Martin IIRC, though it was while adjusting a computer speed sensor at high speed.

As for myself brushing tires like that, meh. I don't know it it helps or hurts so I don't do it anymore. I believe that the late Sheldon Brown posted something on his site about no longer brushing.
oboeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 06:09 PM   #8
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,546
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboeguy View Post
Be VERY CAREFUL if you do this to not get your fingers caught in the spokes or it's buh-bye, fingertips. It's happened to at least one careless pro, Daniel Martin IIRC, though it was while adjusting a computer speed sensor at high speed.

As for myself brushing tires like that, meh. I don't know it it helps or hurts so I don't do it anymore. I believe that the late Sheldon Brown posted something on his site about no longer brushing.

SB also posted a picture of a stitched hand *and* its severed fingertip, albeit from a fixed gear chain/sprocket incident, not a wheel-brushing one. There really isn't anything you can't find there if you look hard enough.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 08:02 PM   #9
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Odd thing is that the Supreme claims to have better puncture protection than the Plus. While I was the the local Schwalbe distributor the other day I was surprised at just how thin the Supreme is, and how easy it is to puncture with a thumb tack.


"High-density woven Vectran is Schwalbe's highest level of puncture protection."
http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/bicyc...bPoint=On+Tour

Which is why puncture protection and flat protection are not directly related. I'd thought this would be obvious for someone who's been using the Plus.

---

I would be surprised to find anyone who's really put a lot of miles on both. I've purchased both, but refused to mount that boat-anchor plus to my bike. People who are content with something that heavy aren't typically going to leave it for the tire on the extreme other end of the flat-resistant spectrum.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 08:17 PM   #10
Mendel
Senior Member
 
Mendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007); Fuji Finest (2002); Trek 1100 (1994); Giant Iguana
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about the Stelvio Plus 350,
which I found on the North America side of their website:

Quote:
Maximum puncture protection for race bikes! The Stelvio Plus is effectively protected from penetration punctures by its SmartGuard belt. The strong layer made from highly elastic special rubber is not as thick as the Marathon Plus, nevertheless the protection level is unique in a racing tire. Folding Bead
Art.No.ETRTOSizePerformanceColourCompoundPSIWeightEPILoadTubePriceAdd 1164624823-622700 x 23CSmartGuardBlack-SkinDUAL85-145320 g67
15, 2059.95Add 1164634825-622700 x 25CSmartGuardBlack-SkinDual85-115380 g67
15, 2059.95Out
It seems to be the racing version of the Marathon Plus. This may be what you looking but does anyone have experience with it? Can it be found in Europe?
Mendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:36 PM   #11
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
She currently has Marathon Plus tires on her commuter which have been problem free, but doesn't like them because they are slow and heavy.
I've tried both. The Pluses are better. I have gotten flats from glass with the supremes.

The difference in weight is mere ounces. If she thinks they're slow, then put more air in the tires.
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:23 PM   #12
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUMPHENT View Post
I picked up a really useful tip on the road cycling forum. Wear gloves, my idea, the tip is to rake the tire with fingertips occasionally. A few repetitions and you have learned to reach the tire surface with fingertips while in motion.
Or get a pair of Tire Savers, which will work without risking your finger, and knock off anything before it can even make a full revolution.

Also written about by the late Mr. Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#tiresavers

Make them yourself or buy them here:
http://www.loosescrews.com/Products/UB-TS1.html

(I'm having trouble finding them at more than one source, actually)
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:31 PM   #13
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post
I've tried both. The Pluses are better. I have gotten flats from glass with the supremes.

The difference in weight is mere ounces. If she thinks they're slow, then put more air in the tires.
The difference in weight is 440 grams for the 700X35 size. That's a HUGE difference.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:58 PM   #14
Ziemas
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
I've been thinking about the Stelvio Plus 350,
which I found on the North America side of their website:

It seems to be the racing version of the Marathon Plus. This may be what you looking but does anyone have experience with it? Can it be found in Europe?
I was looking at those the other day. The Schwalbe distributor has cut sections of most of the Schwalbe line. The blue 'Smart Guard' in the Stelvio is only a millimeter or two thick.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 02:23 PM   #15
acroy
Senior Member
 
acroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas Suburbpopolis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Plus will eat tacks, glass, wire, etc for lunch, it just lodges in the blue goo & never sees the tube. The Supreme (and the rest of the Marathon line) tries to rely on various layers to deflect the puncture... but some get through.

Regardless what tire you run, i suggest squirting a little Stan's sealant in the tube, a la Slime, but Stan's actually works. It will even seal hi pressure road tires well enough to get home.

best punture protection i have ever had, thus far, is standard Marathon's converted to Tubeless with a Stan's kit. one flat in one year and around 4k miles. Ahatever it was (i hit it at speed at night) had to bite a piece out of the tire to cause it to loose air.
acroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:08 PM   #16
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Which is why puncture protection and flat protection are not directly related. I'd thought this would be obvious for someone who's been using the Plus.

---

I would be surprised to find anyone who's really put a lot of miles on both. I've purchased both, but refused to mount that boat-anchor plus to my bike. People who are content with something that heavy aren't typically going to leave it for the tire on the extreme other end of the flat-resistant spectrum.
JeffS
Would you care to enlighten me what the difference is between puncture protection and flat protection? I for one thought they are related.

Thanks,
Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:10 PM   #17
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
Has anyone used both of these tires that can comment on the puncture protection between the Plus and Supreme?
Thanks.
Ziemas
We have both the Supremes and the Plus in our household. The Plus have maybe 300 miles on them, the Supremes have maybe 600 miles on them. Haven't had a flat on either one of them. Since they are on different bikes I cannot compare rolling resistance. All I can say is that the Supremes (which I ride in a 26 x 2.00) are silky smooth, yet have an amazing grip in wet and slushy conditions. The pluses came with my wifes bike (in 700 x 38c). She says she likes them alot

I cannot judge the road conditions in anyones elses hometown, but the Supremes seem very well suited to Chicago's roads. I think when the time comes to change tires on my other bikes, I will buy additional Supremes. They are worth the premium in my opinion

Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:21 PM   #18
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duppie View Post
JeffS
Would you care to enlighten me what the difference is between puncture protection and flat protection? I for one thought they are related.

Thanks,
Duppie
I'd say:

Puncture protection = deflecting objects that cause punctures
Flat protection = resistance to flatting even when punctured, which usually means some sort of sealant.

But then we'd have to relabel all tires that claim "flat protection" with the phrase "puncture protection"..
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.