Okay, here's the deal, I got back into biking last summer after years and years and years of not biking. I wanted something comfortable and easy to ride, so I bought a used Townie 3. Really nice bike, and extremely comfortable. Commuted to work from August to December, and then put the bike away until March. Got the bike out this spring and quickly remember what I had been thinking late last fall: boy, I wish this thing could go faster!
So, I sold my Townie on CL recently, and now can start looking for a new commuter. I have a very short ride to work (about 1 mile one way). As the weather warms up, I'd like to go out for longer weekend rides and really feel the wind in my hair (or blowing through my helmet as it were). So, I'm looking for something light and nimble that can be still durable for my short commute.
Today I went to a couple of LBS and tried a couple. I tried the Novora Buzz at REI. Nice, but the fit didn't feel good, so I'm scratching that one off. Also tried the specialized Sirrus and the Giant Cypress DX. The Cypress was comfortable, but felt heavy and slow compared the the Specialized. I was really impressed with the Sirrus, and that's my top choice before trying out some others.
So, any opinions on the Sirrus as a commuter with my needs?
Some other bikes I'd like to check out are (in no particular order):
1. The Trek Soho http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/ Seems to have everything I'd want, but is overpriced IMHO.
2. Something from the Marin City line http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/bi...eries_city.php
3. Something from the KHS Urban line http://www.khsbicycles.com/06_urban_series_08.htm
4. The Felt City [http://www.feltracing.com/08/product...1525&pid=8763]
5. The Raleigh Cadent FT2 http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/perf...id/cadent-ft2/
6. The Fuji Absolute 4.0 http://www.fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=473#
7. Cannandale Bad Boy http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...model-7BR.html, also a tad overpriced IMHO.
8. possibly a decent commuter-type by Schwinn, Gary Fisher, Swobo or maybe Breezer.
9. Currently taken into other recommendations...
Just some stuff I'm checking out. My plan is to check out a couple other LBS's in my extended area. I'd prefer to find something used on CL, but might buy new if I find something under $800ish that really speaks to me. I want at least 7 speeds (1st choice is internal, but am okay with detailers), thin tires, a light frame, and ability to add a rack and fenders.
Thanks in advance for all your wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.