Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-08, 06:15 AM   #1
cristobal41
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spain
Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ortlieb Office Bag panniers on Pletscher Athlete 2-B rack

Hi,
I am into installing a couple of Ortlieb Office Bag panniers (http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lan...dukt=officebag) on a Pletscher Athlete 2-B rack (http://www.pletscher.ch/products/pdf/Athlete_2B.pdf). In other words, I won't load my bike panniers heavily but office stuff, including a laptop. I want these panniers on a minimalist rack. Will my heels hit on the bags due to the small size of the rack? Is the Topeak Explorer Tubular Rack http://www.topeak.com/products/detail/73) an option?
Thanks.
cristobal41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 10:53 AM   #2
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,473
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Will my heels hit on the bags due to the small size of the rack?
Depends on the length of your chainstays, cranks, feet, that kind of stuff. Tubus Fly is a pretty minimal rack too:

http://www.tubus.com/index/lang/en/r...20and%2028%22/
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 12:04 PM   #3
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt that heelstrike with an Ortlieb Office bag is an issue on any adult sized bike

The Ortlieb Office Bag has the same mounting mechanism (QL2) as the other new Ortlieb bags. You can move this backwards a lot, as well as you can tilt the bag such that the bottom is further backwards than the top.

I looked at the rack as well. The spring mechanism may be an issue, since you need some free space to hook the Office bag onto the rack.

Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 12:32 PM   #4
cristobal41
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spain
Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duppie View Post
I doubt that heelstrike with an Ortlieb Office bag is an issue on any adult sized bike

The Ortlieb Office Bag has the same mounting mechanism (QL2) as the other new Ortlieb bags. You can move this backwards a lot, as well as you can tilt the bag such that the bottom is further backwards than the top.

I looked at the rack as well. The spring mechanism may be an issue, since you need some free space to hook the Office bag onto the rack.

Duppie
Thanks to all of you.

Duppie,

so you think that the spring system might be an issue? I like it because offers you more transporting options when the bags are not attached.

Regarding the Tubus Fly, the one I like, it seems to be narrower in the front and wider in the rear. Will the bags be parallel to the frame or misaligned?

Your concerns, please.
cristobal41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 01:03 PM   #5
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,473
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
On the Fly, not enough out of parallel to cause any problems, or even necessarily be immediately noticeable.

The spring-loaded clamp thingy is pretty cool, an old standby that doesn't seem nearly as common as it used to. But is potentially replaced by a couple of bungie cords or a bungie netting.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 01:11 PM   #6
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal41 View Post
Thanks to all of you.

Duppie,

so you think that the spring system might be an issue? I like it because offers you more transporting options when the bags are not attached.

Regarding the Tubus Fly, the one I like, it seems to be narrower in the front and wider in the rear. Will the bags be parallel to the frame or misaligned?

Your concerns, please.
You bags will fit fine with the Fly.



Two panniers and a basket on my Fly.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 08:51 PM   #7
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal41 View Post
Thanks to all of you.

Duppie,

so you think that the spring system might be an issue?
All I have to go by is the picture in the link. It may or may not be an issue, but it looked a little narrow to me
Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:12 AM   #8
cristobal41
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spain
Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ortlieb QL2 System

DOes anybody know if you can mount and dismount easily the Ortlieb panniers with the QL2 system I mean as a sort of quick release that allows you to install tha bag without tools. I could need the bags sometimes and not others.
Thanks.
cristobal41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 08:20 AM   #9
duppie
Senior Member
 
duppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal41 View Post
DOes anybody know if you can mount and dismount easily the Ortlieb panniers with the QL2 system I mean as a sort of quick release that allows you to install tha bag without tools. I could need the bags sometimes and not others.
Thanks.
0.56 seconds

That is how long it takes to mount or dismount an Ortlieb bag. They mounting system is designed to be put on/taken off regularly. you just lift it on the handles and they will come off. I do it twice a day.
Duppie
duppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 08:45 AM   #10
cristobal41
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spain
Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more option

Quote:
Originally Posted by duppie View Post
0.56 seconds

That is how long it takes to mount or dismount an Ortlieb bag. They mounting system is designed to be put on/taken off regularly. you just lift it on the handles and they will come off. I do it twice a day.
Duppie
Hi, Duppie:

Thanks for your help and clarity. What about a Ortlieb Travel Bike horizontally on the rack using the property adaptor?
Sounds good to me as I will never fill both side panniers up. A bike with just one side bag is like a wobbly bike, do you agree? In case of needing more room, I haul my bobtrailer. The Ortlieb Travel Bike would only be used for occasional commuting to work.
Regards.
cristobal41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.