Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mike B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dodge City, KS.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, World Avenue One
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Presta Problem!! Newbie need help!!

    I need the guideance of you commuting gods.

    I just bought this bike http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1586 and started putting it together, it didn't take long to find out that the rear tube had a problem. The presta valve was bad (cracked) and now it needs replaced. I realize it's under a guarentee so maybe they'll send me a new tube at no cost. Hate to send the old one back and have to pay shipping plus the extra time waiting. Nope, no LBS in Dodge City, KS. However we do have a Wal Mart.

    The tires on my new bike are 700 X 28c I suppose the c has something to do with the wheel size? Now would I be ok using these tubes http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true They are 700c X 28-32. Does the 28-32 represent mm?

    Thanks for any help you can give!
    I may not be the most important person in your LIFE.
    I just hope that when you hear my name you smile and say,
    THAT'S MY FRIEND!

  2. #2
    BreakingWind BreakingWind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Ruby Pro, Santana Tandem, Trek MTB, Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This tube should work.

  3. #3
    BreakingWind BreakingWind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Ruby Pro, Santana Tandem, Trek MTB, Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $2.99 and no LBS I would order a bunch of them.

  4. #4
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,375
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Does the 28-32 represent mm?
    Yes.

    It's a good idea to keep a small stock of spare tubes, and to carry one with you along with a patch kit. It seems especially so for you, given that they're not available locally. As you can, you may want to lay in supplies of other wear parts like chains, brake pads and a tire at minimum. I also keep a set of spare cables at home too.

    That looks like a great bike. Good luck with it and welcome!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.óPeter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  5. #5
    bored of "Senior Member"
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD / metro DC
    My Bikes
    Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700 is the wheel size. 28 has to do with the aspect ratio of the tire. Bigger numbers will be larger in cross-section.

    Tires are one size, tubes fit a range of tire sizes (like shoes and socks, e.g. for size 9-12). A tube marked 28-32 is designed for tires sized between 28 and 32. You're OK.

    For a couple of bucks for a tube, it isn't worth the return hassle.

  6. #6
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, for whatever it's worth, you don't really have to sweat the tire width too much, as long as it's close, and as long as you get the right diameter. I'm currently running 700x23/25C tubes in one bike with 700x23C tires and another bike with 700x28C tires, and everything's just peachy. Why? Because I like this valve length for the rims on both those bikes, so I bought a bunch of them.

  7. #7
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 tubes and patch kit.

    If i get a flat, get a fresh tube on the wheel and patch the punctured one at lunchtime.

    5 bucks a tube can get spendy with a bit of bad luck.
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with all above listed responses, but add this:

    call performance customer satisfaction department, or even tech support, and let them know what went on with your tube. they have a pretty good support policy and may repay you under their own terms. it does not hurt to ask/list!

    have fun riding your new bike!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mike B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dodge City, KS.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, World Avenue One
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just ordered some new tubes from Performance. Also dropped them an e-mail explaining how I just bought this new Schwinn and about the cracked valve.

    Maybe after showing them my support of their company by ordering new tubes they'll help me out, but then again maybe they won't. Time will tell.

    Thanks for all your respnses and I'll let you know what Performance decides.

    Thanks again!
    I may not be the most important person in your LIFE.
    I just hope that when you hear my name you smile and say,
    THAT'S MY FRIEND!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy - fixed / Kona Smoke
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also buy a presta to schraeder converter for about a buck a piece. The converter screws on to the presta valve. They are handy to have if you need to get air at a service station.

  11. #11
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tubes are cheap. Definitely see about getting a replacement from Performance, but for heaven's sake, don't sit around waiting for however long it takes to get there. Just go to the LBS, knock the moths out of your wallet, and buy another tube to put on now. You'll need the other one eventually.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mike B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dodge City, KS.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, World Avenue One
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Nope, no LBS in Dodge City, KS. However we do have a Wal Mart.
    lil brown bat,

    I already ordered new tubes from performance, just a few minutes ago! I did check at our local Wal Mart. No luck there.
    I may not be the most important person in your LIFE.
    I just hope that when you hear my name you smile and say,
    THAT'S MY FRIEND!

  13. #13
    nashcommguy
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    nashville, tn
    My Bikes
    Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300
    Posts
    2,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    I need the guideance of you commuting gods.

    I just bought this bike http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1586 and started putting it together, it didn't take long to find out that the rear tube had a problem. The presta valve was bad (cracked) and now it needs replaced. I realize it's under a guarentee so maybe they'll send me a new tube at no cost. Hate to send the old one back and have to pay shipping plus the extra time waiting. Nope, no LBS in Dodge City, KS. However we do have a Wal Mart.

    The tires on my new bike are 700 X 28c I suppose the c has something to do with the wheel size? Now would I be ok using these tubes http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true They are 700c X 28-32. Does the 28-32 represent mm?

    Thanks for any help you can give!
    When I ran pneumatics, undersized tubes always worked best for me when I'd have a flat. When using 700x28mm tires I would use 18x23mm tubes as my 'carry on' tubes as I could fit 2 of them in my seat bag. Tubes vary in size(as do tires) a great deal, so one brand's 28-32mm may be a great deal larger than another brand. Long stem presta's are what I would get because they would fit any rim in my group of bikes. Then when I got home I'd patch the punctured tube, replace the smaller one with it and deflate the smaller one and put it back in the seat bag. It was a bit of a process, but better to struggle a little bit at home than get a 'pinch flat' on a rainy day and have to do the whole 'road replacement' routine twice. Get a Topeak Road Morph w/guage for your pump. 30.00 w/no shipping from http://www.bikeisland.com. Best deal on the best frame pump on the market. I'm not a shill, just believe in the integrity of the product and the vendor.

    You wont find ANY presta tubes at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. as they only stock Schraeder tubes.

    BTW, I've gone over to Nu-Teck airless on all of my bikes now. Just got a new commuter(Motobecane fantom/cx cyclocross) from bikesdirect.com and am running the stock 30mm pneumatics at present on it(w/2 18-23mm, long stem prestas in my seat bag ), but the 700x28mm 130 psi airless Touring tires are on the way.
    Last edited by nashcommguy; 05-11-08 at 09:15 PM.

  14. #14
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nashcommguy View Post
    When I ran pneumatics, undersized tubes always worked best for me when I'd have a flat. When using 700x28mm tires I would use 18x23mm tubes as my 'carry on' tubes as I could fit 2 of them in my seat bag. Tubes vary in size(as do tires) a great deal, so one brand's 28-32mm may be a great deal larger than another brand. Long stem presta's are what I would get because they would fit any rim in my group of bikes. Then when I got home I'd patch the punctured tube, replace the smaller one with it and deflate the smaller one and put it back in the seat bag. It was a bit of a process, but better to struggle a little bit at home than get a 'pinch flat' on a rainy day and have to do the whole 'road replacement' routine twice. Get a Topeak Road Morph w/guage for your pump. 30.00 w/no shipping from http://www.bikeisland.com. Best deal on the best frame pump on the market. I'm not a shill, just believe in the integrity of the product and the vendor.

    You wont find ANY presta tubes at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. as they only stock Schraeder tubes.

    BTW, I've gone over to Nu-Teck airless on all of my bikes now. Just got a new commuter(Motobecane fantom/cx cyclocross) from bikesdirect.com and am running the stock 30mm pneumatics at present on it(w/2 18-23mm, long stem prestas in my seat bag ), but the 700x28mm 130 psi airless Touring tires are on the way.
    linky to the airless tube?
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  15. #15
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,602
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Nope, no LBS in Dodge City, KS.
    Are you sure? I did a quick search and found these.
    Country Pedaler
    1509 W Wyatt Earp Blvd
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-2267

    also came up as:
    Country Pedaler
    109 Gunsmoke St
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-2267


    Bradís Bicycle Shop
    1505 W Wyatt Earp Blvd
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-7574

    also came up as:
    Brad's Bicycle Shop
    411 S 2Nd Ave
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-7574
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  16. #16
    Senior Member adebrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Sanwa road bike with SunTour components. Gary Fisher Joshua F1 with XTR
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Are you sure? I did a quick search and found these.
    Country Pedaler
    1509 W Wyatt Earp Blvd
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-2267

    also came up as:
    Country Pedaler
    109 Gunsmoke St
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-2267


    Bradís Bicycle Shop
    1505 W Wyatt Earp Blvd
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-7574

    also came up as:
    Brad's Bicycle Shop
    411 S 2Nd Ave
    Dodge City, KS 67801
    phone 316-227-7574
    I did that same search and found the same results...you beat me to the post! Glad the purchase wasn't made at Wal-Mart though. Small bike shops have a tough time making money as it is, if you can support them, then please try to.

  17. #17
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    lil brown bat,

    I already ordered new tubes from performance, just a few minutes ago! I did check at our local Wal Mart. No luck there.
    As others have posted, it would appear that that's not quite accurate. You really should check out one or more of your local bike shops, on the assumption that you'll need to purchase tubes and other consumables more than once every couple of years.

  18. #18
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lns55 View Post
    You can also buy a presta to schraeder converter for about a buck a piece. The converter screws on to the presta valve. They are handy to have if you need to get air at a service station.
    Yes, these are very good to have. They're small, so I keep a couple in my roadside repair kit and a few more at the house. I have found that they come in different lengths, and the longer ones don't work with any of my Presta valves.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Mike B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dodge City, KS.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, World Avenue One
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adebrunner View Post
    I did that same search and found the same results...you beat me to the post! Glad the purchase wasn't made at Wal-Mart though. Small bike shops have a tough time making money as it is, if you can support them, then please try to.
    All those bike shops are closed now. Dodge City is a small town about 33,000, with the majority being illegals working at the meat packing houses. I know the guy who owned the Country Pedeler. His name is Larry Adams. We work together. He's now helping me tune up my bike. But since he went out of business he also got rid of most of his tools also. Brad also closed up shop here in Dodge.

    You're absolutly correct about small bike shops having a tough time making money. My wife and I supported Larry as much as we could when the need arose. Joan used to ride about 10-15 miles a day just for the fun of it. She bought a $1,600.00 Specialized from Larry and also had him do all the work on it when needed. But alas, not enough business in Dodge for him to stay open.

    I agree, support your LBS!!!
    I may not be the most important person in your LIFE.
    I just hope that when you hear my name you smile and say,
    THAT'S MY FRIEND!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •