Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Raleigh Sojourn vs my old Trek

    I am considering buying a Raleigh Sojourn for my 20km round trip commute. I currently ride a 97 Trek that I bought last summer for $80. I added fenders and v-brakes. I was wondering if the sojourn would be overkill or a fun upgrade to my Trek. I have been commuting full time since last summer. I really like it and don't plan on stopping so I thought an upgrade would be fun. I also rode through the winter, I live in Edmonton where it gets fairly cold, would this bike handle the cold ok? Would the geometry help me be faster? Would this be a significant upgrade? Would this be a good commuter? Any other thoughts?

    Thanks for any input.

    My Trek


    The Raleigh Sojourn

  2. #2
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    I am considering buying a Raleigh Sojourn for my 20km round trip commute. I currently ride a 97 Trek that I bought last summer for $80. I added fenders and v-brakes. I was wondering if the sojourn would be overkill or a fun upgrade to my Trek. I have been commuting full time since last summer. I really like it and don't plan on stopping so I thought an upgrade would be fun. I also rode through the winter, I live in Edmonton where it gets fairly cold, would this bike handle the cold ok? Would the geometry help me be faster? Would this be a significant upgrade? Would this be a good commuter? Any other thoughts?

    Thanks for any input.

    My Trek


    The Raleigh Sojourn
    I don't think you could lose by buying the Sojourn. It would have two advantages that I can think of over your mountain bike: hand positions and gearing. The semi-mustached handlebar gives you more hand positions over a mountain bike flat bar which lends itself to more comfort over longer distances. The Sojourn in all likelihood has higher gearing than your mountain bike and will feel and probably be faster.

    I think the only thing I would like better for commuting is a Harris Cyclery/Bianchi SanJose8 just so that I could change gears while waiting at a light.

    One thing I would do is I would retain the mountain bike for a foul/cold weather bike.

  3. #3
    Senior Member emptgrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    2006 Fuji Roubaix RC ; 2002 Bianci Eros ; Raleigh Grand Prix
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reward yourself for your work and $aving$ !!

  4. #4
    ?
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    I have almost the same bike. Everything stock except the saddle, tires, and RD which I upgraded to SRAM 9.0SL(not in picture).

  5. #5
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    vw trek

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    I have almost the same bike. Everything stock except the saddle, tires, and RD which I upgraded to SRAM 9.0SL(not in picture).
    I bought mine at a police auction, well I think it was a police auction, last summer. It has been really good overall. I still have the seat, it just isn't very comfortable.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider View Post
    I don't think you could lose by buying the Sojourn. It would have two advantages that I can think of over your mountain bike: hand positions and gearing. The semi-mustached handlebar gives you more hand positions over a mountain bike flat bar which lends itself to more comfort over longer distances. The Sojourn in all likelihood has higher gearing than your mountain bike and will feel and probably be faster.

    I think the only thing I would like better for commuting is a Harris Cyclery/Bianchi SanJose8 just so that I could change gears while waiting at a light.

    One thing I would do is I would retain the mountain bike for a foul/cold weather bike.
    Are you saying you don't think it would work well in the cold weather, or that it would be a shame to beat it up?

    Do you have a Sojourn?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have a lot more fun riding your dream bike.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, man, the great thing about bicycles is that you can have more than one. I see you are from England. Smashing!

    Here in the States, we fill our garages full of bicycles until our wives start screaming. Then we sell them off and make enough money to do it all over again.

    Enjoy the excesses of bicycling.
    Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there stuff you don't like about your Trek? If it is hard to imagine that another bike could be better, then sticking with your current bike is the way to go.

    If you *do* see problems with your Trek, then it might make sense to get a second bike. Might not, depends on the problems.

  10. #10
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Hey, man, the great thing about bicycles is that you can have more than one. I see you are from England. Smashing!

    Here in the States, we fill our garages full of bicycles until our wives start screaming. Then we sell them off and make enough money to do it all over again.

    Enjoy the excesses of bicycling.
    I am Canadian, although I do say Mum instead of Mom. If you could pan to the right of my bike in that picture you would see my full suspension mountain bike.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    My Bikes
    Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
    Posts
    926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sojourn looks like a sweet bike and with the road handlebars, you will be a bit more efficient in your commuting... I also like the bar end shifters, they are practically indestructible.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that Sojourn. The Brooks pre-aged saddle with the pebbled finish and laces at the skirt and the Brooks leather bar tape are some nice little extras that would run about $200 if you were buying them separately. Love the bar-end shifters, decent quality rack, fenders, and componentry. This seems like a lot of bike for the price.

  13. #13
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for it! Nice Raleigh. The larger wheels should make for a smoother commute.

    yeah, keep the mtb for lousy weather so you don't don't lose sleep over mud and crud.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  14. #14
    An Army of Fred harleyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sojourn is on my short list of bikes I'm considering when I get the money (hopefully sometime next year). The other is the Specialized Tricross Sport Triple. I say, if you have the chance, give the Sojourn a test ride, wait about a week, and test ride it again to see how you like it.

    And +1 for keeping your current bike as a foul weather commuter.
    Owner/operator of Fredkenstein™ I
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/289...r613833gj7.gif
    You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much -- Bill Hicks

  15. #15
    Super Moderator making's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Road bike
    Posts
    2,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at one last weekend at the LBS, it is a sweet bike. Buy it. I would have if I wasnt sure I would have had to listen to it for years (I am married).
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

  16. #16
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcons,Tiagra/Deore,BB5's for $1100? That's a fair bit of dosh just for a fancy saddle and bartape. My Safari will do everything that can,just as well,for a whole lot less.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  17. #17
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    I looked at one last weekend at the LBS, it is a sweet bike. Buy it. I would have if I wasnt sure I would have had to listen to it for years (I am married).
    I already have the approval from the CFO, so it won't cause any marital disharmony. For some reason she seems to get a kick out of my bike riding.

  18. #18
    Senior Member zeroderby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Barcons,Tiagra/Deore,BB5's for $1100? That's a fair bit of dosh just for a fancy saddle and bartape. My Safari will do everything that can,just as well,for a whole lot less.
    What's a safari? I would like to check it out.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator making's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Road bike
    Posts
    2,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    I already have the approval from the CFO, so it won't cause any marital disharmony. For some reason she seems to get a kick out of my bike riding.
    Wanna trade.....her?
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

  20. #20
    An Army of Fred harleyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Barcons,Tiagra/Deore,BB5's for $1100? That's a fair bit of dosh just for a fancy saddle and bartape. My Safari will do everything that can,just as well,for a whole lot less.
    Not to mention Tubus Cargo rack, WTB Mountain Road Drop bars, and SKS fenders on top of all that.
    Owner/operator of Fredkenstein™ I
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/289...r613833gj7.gif
    You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much -- Bill Hicks

  21. #21
    No Sidewalks. capolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago Ill
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Capo.
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hate the geometry on treks.


    my two cents.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Barcons,Tiagra/Deore,BB5's for $1100? That's a fair bit of dosh just for a fancy saddle and bartape. My Safari will do everything that can,just as well,for a whole lot less.
    Plus Reynolds 520 tubing, SKS fenders, decent rack. IMO, it's attractively priced. [edit: Harleyfrog beat me to it.]

    For my riding purposes (not the OP's), what would give me pause on this bike would be the wheels and the total weight.

    Unless I splurge and go custom, the Casseroll is at the top of my list. However, I'm not buying anything without testing the Sojourn. The OP might also want to look at the Novara Randonee (and search prior threads about getting them at steep discounts).

  23. #23
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    Are you saying you don't think it would work well in the cold weather, or that it would be a shame to beat it up?

    Do you have a Sojourn?
    It would be a shame to beat it up when you have a bike that was designed for "Wet work"

  24. #24
    An Army of Fred harleyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zowie, I agree with you on the wheels, but then again, if it were me, I'd build a second set of wheels with the front built around a dynohub. Weight? Meh. Once it's loaded down, it's not going to make that much of a difference. I'd rather have a sturdy built bike then a road racer.
    Owner/operator of Fredkenstein™ I
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/289...r613833gj7.gif
    You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much -- Bill Hicks

  25. #25
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
    What's a safari? I would like to check it out.
    http://www.rei.com/product/730480?vcat=REI_SEARCH

    It's teh awsomes. All weather commuting,grocery hauling,polo,taxi intimidating. Mine's been abused and it's stone axe reliable.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •