Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Fred Heaven

  1. #1
    Jive Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Bianchis Eros, Veloce and Milano. Trek 850 XC Mountain Track
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fred Heaven

    So I'm going in to work on my once or twice/week 44 mile round trip commute and I can't help but notice how many more bikes are on the road. Usually I'll see two or three other cyclists and that's in the city. This morning I'm passing moms on cruisers during rush hour traffic on country roads. At one particularly bad intersection, where I'm usually trapped between a bus and a dump truck, I'm sitting at the light behind four other cyclists. I drafted the last mile behind a hipster fixie. Then, after a shower and changing, I walked into Harvard Square and was greeted by a crowd of Freds scooping up free swag, coffee and bagels. I asked another cyclist what the heck was going on and he says "Bike to Work Week, free breakfast for bike commuters."
    Sometimes Massachusetts is just so cool.
    p.s. I know, I'm clueless.
    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه

  2. #2
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Bike to Work Week in a lot of places, not just MA.

    See http://www.baystatebikeweek.org/ I'm doing the Boston breakfast ride on Friday (the "Green Line" route from Allston).

  3. #3
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to get something going here for next year - getting a couple of LBS's together on that. Just got contacted by a reporter doing a piece on commuting.

  4. #4
    Jive Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Bianchis Eros, Veloce and Milano. Trek 850 XC Mountain Track
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil brown bat View Post
    It's Bike to Work Week in a lot of places, not just MA.

    See http://www.baystatebikeweek.org/ I'm doing the Boston breakfast ride on Friday (the "Green Line" route from Allston).
    Yes, I know. It's just that it seems to be working here. Has anyone else noticed more people on the road?
    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه

  5. #5
    Jive Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Bianchis Eros, Veloce and Milano. Trek 850 XC Mountain Track
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tude View Post
    I'm looking to get something going here for next year - getting a couple of LBS's together on that. Just got contacted by a reporter doing a piece on commuting.
    Hey, I'm a Rochester native! There's some great riding on the shores of Lake Ontario. And now there's racing too, right? I hoping to be in town for that. Good luck with your efforts.
    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه

  6. #6
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antimatt_er View Post
    Yes, I know. It's just that it seems to be working here. Has anyone else noticed more people on the road?
    I think there are more cyclists, but it's hard to tell how much is due to spring and how many are actually new to commuting.

    A couple of places were offering free breakfast along my commute this morning in honor of bike to work week. It took me a bit longer to get into work than usual ;-). There were also a lot of commuters around even though I got a late start and missed most of rush hour.

    Rumor has it the mayor was at one of those places earlier. I'm getting a free lunch too, and my guess is I'll catch him there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Steelman road bike, '81 Schwinn Le Tour single speed,
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see a single other commuter on my almost 12mi ride today.

  8. #8
    Seńior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,736
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several times this year I've seen more bikes on the road in one trip home than I saw all of last year. I would have bet money against it a month ago; around here bikes are tolerated pretty well, but I had never talked to anyone who would consider riding one in traffic even a mile.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  9. #9
    Laid back bent rider unixpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burien, WA
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen quite a few more riders lately, and quite a few that are obviously new riders, but I also don't know if it's because of BTW or gas prices or what. I do know that I went to a LBS last weekend that was having a big sale in their parking lot and the place was a real ZOO! Dozens of people trying out all kinds of rides.

    I've even seen some people in my neighborhood, where I don't think I've ever encountered another commuter. One guy was riding a commuting-set up mountain style, and the other a very expensive Rans crank-forward. The lady riding the RANS said that she had just started commuting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Buglady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Bikes
    2013 MEC Col Ltd. road bike; 2012 MEC Silhouette hybrid; 2001 Specialized Allez (too small); 1984 Raleigh 5-speed city bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer; 1976 Raleigh Twenty folding bike; 1988 (?) Kuwahara "Blaze" mountain bike
    Posts
    2,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike to Work Week makes a LOT more sense in May than the way they did it here - the first week in April, when it's usually still pretty cold and often actually snowing!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Otter 718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, NY
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.2 FX, 2005 Schwinn Mesa, 1978 Raleigh Super Course
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antimatt_er View Post
    Sometimes Massachusetts is just so cool.
    Your fair city was featured in this month's Bicycling magazine, as a Future Best City for Cycling. Looks like the mayor is doing some good there.

    On a side note: This was supposed to be my last issue, but the feature article, plus one about cycling in Holland, may have changed my mind.

  12. #12
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,244
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've seen one other bike commuter all week, but that's the first one I've seen in months. All of our local events are on Friday, which has been designated Bike to Work Day here. Of course, the forecasters are predicting rain on Friday, and I've got an out-of-town meeting all day so I won't be able to participate. I've ridden every day this week, however, and plan to ride tomorrow.

  13. #13
    Comfortably Numb! BA Commuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Jabip
    My Bikes
    Jamis Commuter 3.0
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen more people commuting, but my company interviewed me for Bike to Work week. Maybe, the piece will raise awareness and help to get a few others motivated to ride to work and leave their cars at home...
    “Cycling is like church. Many attend, but few understand." -Jim Burlant

    Jamis Commuter 3.0
    Raleigh R500
    Trek 800
    Dahon Boardwalk

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rob_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Surly Longhaul Trucker, Dahon Boardwalk, Raleigh 20
    Posts
    1,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I've seen no more people on the road, and I've been biking both ways this week instead of just home, like usual. Wait, that makes me the extra person on the road.

    But seriously, I see a disappointing lack of new commuters during this Bike To Work Week. But then I work on a college campus. Graduation was last weekend, and summer classes start next week, so I guess there's few people going my way this week.

  15. #15
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antimatt_er View Post
    So I'm going in to work on my once or twice/week 44 mile round trip commute and I can't help but notice how many more bikes are on the road. Usually I'll see two or three other cyclists and that's in the city. This morning I'm passing moms on cruisers during rush hour traffic on country roads. At one particularly bad intersection, where I'm usually trapped between a bus and a dump truck, I'm sitting at the light behind four other cyclists. I drafted the last mile behind a hipster fixie. Then, after a shower and changing, I walked into Harvard Square and was greeted by a crowd of Freds scooping up free swag, coffee and bagels. I asked another cyclist what the heck was going on and he says "Bike to Work Week, free breakfast for bike commuters."
    Sometimes Massachusetts is just so cool.
    p.s. I know, I'm clueless.
    Great report, antimatt. This is fab news! You know what happens next - those newb bicycle commuters are going to love it.

    ... and there ain't no turnin' back once you fall in love with bicycling.
    Mike

  16. #16
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a guy today on a shiny new mountain bike, which -- I kid you not -- still had the price tag on it -- $139! I talked to him at a red light. He looked my bike over and guessed that it cost $1000 (actual cost $850), so I guess he shopped around before buying his new bike.

    I'm quite happy to have more bikes on the road.

  17. #17
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Great report, antimatt. This is fab news! You know what happens next - those newb bicycle commuters are going to love it.

    ... and there ain't no turnin' back once you fall in love with bicycling.
    Amen, brother. Amen.

  18. #18
    Fred E Fenders fthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    S. California - Again!
    My Bikes
    Randonee
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Translation Please

    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه
    F Thomas

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

  19. #19
    Senior Member awunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    1990 Peugeot Bordeaux/105, 1986 Cannondale, 1972 Peugeot UO8... oh, I've lost count.
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have bike to work week in Albany too, but no free breakfast! Bah!

  20. #20
    Jive Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Bianchis Eros, Veloce and Milano. Trek 850 XC Mountain Track
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter 718 View Post
    Your fair city was featured in this month's Bicycling magazine, as a Future Best City for Cycling. Looks like the mayor is doing some good there.

    On a side note: This was supposed to be my last issue, but the feature article, plus one about cycling in Holland, may have changed my mind.
    Thanks for that. Menino has been making a lot of noise but we've yet to see results. Cambridge, on the other hand, seems to reshaping the entire town around bike paths. Very encouraging and about time.
    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه

  21. #21
    Jive Turkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Bianchis Eros, Veloce and Milano. Trek 850 XC Mountain Track
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    Translation Please

    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه
    very awkwardly:
    "We are old friends but, alas,
    our friendship is not as it was in the past"

    Mir Sayyid Ali Moshtaq, 18 c.
    یار دیرینه ایم و حیف که نیست
    یار ما یار یار دیرینه

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reston, VA
    My Bikes
    2003 Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antimatt_er View Post
    Yes, I know. It's just that it seems to be working here. Has anyone else noticed more people on the road?
    Not that many, outside of this week (which is also our bike to work week). There were a ton yesterday because the weather was fantastic after last week's monsoon.

    I've seen a few new faces, but by and large I'm seeing a lot of the same guys I've seen all winter, and a handful I remember from last fall.

  23. #23
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antimatt_er View Post
    Thanks for that. Menino has been making a lot of noise but we've yet to see results. Cambridge, on the other hand, seems to reshaping the entire town around bike paths. Very encouraging and about time.
    There's a convoy to City Hall Plaza from Mumbles' hood tomorrow AM -- if he doesn't bike to work tomorrow, he's totally weak and worthless!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •