Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    KS
    My Bikes
    Early 90's Trek, 07 Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Slowest....Fall....Ever

    I've officially had my second commuting 'crash' and this one wasn't nearly as fun as the first.

    This past week commuting has been my first experience using clipless pedals (egg beaters). I thought I was getting the hang of things prett well. As I was leaving work yesterday, it was really hard to engage my left foot but I didn't really think much about it. Early on in my ride, I have to cross traffic and go over a tall curb to get to the MUP I ride home. As I'm approaching the curb I try to get my left foot out to plant as I lift my front wheel over the curb. Only I can't. I literally turn my heel 90 degrees but It won't come out. I slow down even more and fall hard to my right. By this point cars are coming and I'm laying in the middle of the road clipped in. I get my right foot out fine and am able to finally hobble off to the side. I still can't get my left foot out so I take off the shoe. One of the screws is missing from my cleat and the other is loose, allowing the whole cleat to pivot with the pedal. All my tools are with my other bike. I call the wife and she picks me up on her way home.

    I share this for two reasons. First, I like laughing at myself in silly situations and maybe some will get a laugh at imagining my misfortune. Second, is there anything I should know about my cleats and pedals? I'm guessing I simply didn't screw my cleats in tight enough? I've only had them for about a week but both cleats show signs of wear that I wouldn't expect at this stage. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Call me The Breeze I_bRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Corbyville Ontario
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
    Posts
    3,699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cleat bolts have to be tight. And grease them too so you can get them out again. Also, if they're of the hex-socket variety, you can melt candle wax into the socket hole... when it comes time to remove them, instead of spending 10mins trying to pick out mud that's hardened into concrete, you simply melt the wax out and remove them.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator making's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Road bike
    Posts
    2,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfc57 View Post
    I've officially had my second commuting 'crash' and this one wasn't nearly as fun as the first.

    This past week commuting has been my first experience using clipless pedals (egg beaters). I thought I was getting the hang of things prett well. As I was leaving work yesterday, it was really hard to engage my left foot but I didn't really think much about it. Early on in my ride, I have to cross traffic and go over a tall curb to get to the MUP I ride home. As I'm approaching the curb I try to get my left foot out to plant as I lift my front wheel over the curb. Only I can't. I literally turn my heel 90 degrees but It won't come out. I slow down even more and fall hard to my right. By this point cars are coming and I'm laying in the middle of the road clipped in. I get my right foot out fine and am able to finally hobble off to the side. I still can't get my left foot out so I take off the shoe. One of the screws is missing from my cleat and the other is loose, allowing the whole cleat to pivot with the pedal. All my tools are with my other bike. I call the wife and she picks me up on her way home.

    I share this for two reasons. First, I like laughing at myself in silly situations and maybe some will get a laugh at imagining my misfortune. Second, is there anything I should know about my cleats and pedals? I'm guessing I simply didn't screw my cleats in tight enough? I've only had them for about a week but both cleats show signs of wear that I wouldn't expect at this stage. Any thoughts?
    I have never heard of anyone else falling down with clipless. Ok maybe I have but only twice, so far.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

  4. #4
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,326
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just prompted me to check my cleats. I should do that more often.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a spare screw or 2 in my saddlebag. If you loose a screw, you're screwed.

    Maybe we should call them bolts.

  6. #6
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read your thread's title and thought, "Ah, he must have been riding clipless"

    Glad you're all right.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    KS
    My Bikes
    Early 90's Trek, 07 Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have spare screws but didn't have any on me. I used to be prepared but I've let things slip a bit. I think my new weekend chore will be making sure both bikes have patches, a spare tube, tools, etc.

  8. #8
    An Army of Fred harleyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail
    Posts
    1,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGirl View Post
    I keep a spare screw or 2 in my saddlebag. If you loose a screw, you're screwed.

    Maybe we should call them bolts.
    Well, there are some of us around with with a few screws loose.

    Answer to loose screws (and bolts): blue loctite.
    Owner/operator of Fredkenstein™ I
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/289...r613833gj7.gif
    You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much -- Bill Hicks

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    KS
    My Bikes
    Early 90's Trek, 07 Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it normal that my cleats look like they've been on my shoes for months when it's only been days?

  10. #10
    ews
    ews is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had that happen to me too. Luckily I didnt' fall and was able to keep riding. Once I got home I had to slide my foot out of my clipped in shoe. Extra screws are definitely something you must keep with you at all times for situations like that.

  11. #11
    What is this demonry?! Szczuldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central IL
    My Bikes
    KHS Aero Comp.
    Posts
    1,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfc57 View Post
    Is it normal that my cleats look like they've been on my shoes for months when it's only been days?
    how do you know how cleats are supposed to look like months in advanced when you've only had them a couple of days?

    and the way I see it is, they'll wear fast at first to adjust to your style, then they'll start to wear slower.

  12. #12
    Que CERA, CERA jefferee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    I have never heard of anyone else falling down with clipless. Ok maybe I have but only twice, so far.
    I have never heard of anyone who rides clipless routinely who hasn't had at least one clipless fall. Most of us have been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMantra View Post
    Cycling (taken to the typical roadie extreme) causes you to cough up your own soul as every fibre of your worthless being sings in choral agony. Once you embrace the pain everything is dandy.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have to admit, imaging that did make me laugh. Hopefully I'll never go through that experience... I want to try those pedals sometime soon though so you never know, I may be posting on here in the future saying "you'll never geuss what I just did".

  14. #14
    still commuting...... Brian T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Port Hueneme, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGirl View Post
    I keep a spare screw or 2 in my saddlebag. If you loose a screw, you're screwed.

    Maybe we should call them bolts.
    sounds like you gotta a screw loose...lol
    just kidding....
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhare View Post
    I saw a guy riding without bars the other day. Cheapo MTB. He was riding holding onto the stem.
    Now that i think about, he couldnt have had any brakes working either.
    Nothing safer than no bars, no brakes on a freewheeled bike.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me a couple days ago. My right foot became suspiciously floaty while pedaling. Fortunately I was able to disengage my left foot before having a 0mph fall. I must have looked batty sitting on the curb wearing one shoe while spinning the other shoe counterclockwise around the pedal.

  16. #16
    Senior Member charly17201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tulsa
    My Bikes
    RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferee View Post
    I have never heard of anyone who rides clipless routinely who hasn't had at least one clipless fall. Most of us have been there.
    Try getting used to clipless on a 'bent...... I'd ridden clipless for years on a DF, but a bent is a completely different animal. I had to adjust them to the loosest setting to be able to get out when I needed. - and I took a couple of falls just sitting in the drive while getting them adjusted. At least not one saw me.
    Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm.

    In response to bicycling being so dangerous: "We could all died today from any number of accidents. I'm not going to stop living to keep from dying." The Northern Tier by Lief Carlsen

  17. #17
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank bros. cleats are a softer metal so they wear quickly. Having said that, I'll go close to a year or more before replacing them. Once I start unintentionally unclipping, they get replaced. BTW, why didn't you just put your shoe back on and unclip your other foot when coming to stops?
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •