Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I need a 700x23c rim/tire w/ MTB disc hub...

    for my Cannondale BB Ultra. I commute to work most days. I am switching out the derailleurs to road, a road cassette, bullhorn bars w/ STI 9spd shifters. Why - because. What wheel set can I buy that is 700x23c tire/rim laced to MTB hubs that are compat with Shimano road cassette. Or do I need to buy the rims sep and have them built. My LBS is Stadlers (largest in the world I think) and they want 300 euro for some Mavics with XT hubs. Obviously I would like to spend a little less. Any other tips on this conversion? are appreciated.

  2. #2
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shimano road and MTB cassettes are fully interchangable, except for 10sp only road hubs.
    you can even keep the XT rear dérailleur since it'll work with the shifters.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look here for a reasonable priced set.

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/160...-29er-Rims.htm

    You didn't state specifically but your rear dropouts are spaced for a mountain bike hub at 135mm. Standard road bike hubs are only 130mm, hence you want a road rim laced to a mountain bike hub. That said, any 29er wheelset should work just fine. Will you have adequate clearance for the larger diameter wheels ??? Better check that with a 700c wheel before you begin. As for your cassette, the M475 free hub body is the standard Shimano 8/9/10 free hub body. It will take virtually any 8/9/10 speed cassette, though you may need a spacer depending on which cassette manufacturer you pick. Good luck!

    B

  5. #5
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    shimano road and MTB cassettes are fully interchangable, except for 10sp only road hubs.
    you can even keep the XT rear dérailleur since it'll work with the shifters.
    I swapped my 9 spd mtb cassette to a road cassette, and kept my XT derailer, no issues.

    I also picked up a wheelset, similar to what the OP priced. I got XT disc hubs, and Mavic 319, 36 hole rims, for $230 including shipping on Ebay (about $180 Euro). But my rims are wider, 700x28 min. I had to look a long time to find the set I wanted at that price, especially the 36 hole rims. Bottom line, I think you could get a better price on Ebay, if you can find that set-up.

    I am also interested in the bullhorn/aero set-up. Anyone know if the bullhorn reverse brake levers are compatible with mtb disc brakes(Avid BB7)?
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  6. #6
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reverse brake levers are for calipers or cantis, unless you use a travel agent.
    http://www.problemsolversbike.com/products.html
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  7. #7
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
    I also picked up a wheelset, similar to what the OP priced. I got XT disc hubs, and Mavic 319, 36 hole rims, for $230 including shipping on Ebay (about $180 Euro). But my rims are wider, 700x28 min. I had to look a long time to find the set I wanted at that price, especially the 36 hole rims. Bottom line, I think you could get a better price on Ebay, if you can find that set-up.
    Yeah, there's a place out in Colorado that sells a bunch of wheels like that on Ebay. I bought some a few months ago and have been very please.

  8. #8
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    reverse brake levers are for calipers or cantis, unless you use a travel agent.
    http://www.problemsolversbike.com/products.html
    Thanks--added to favorites. I will get the inline agent when I catch the right bars at the right price on Ebay.
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  9. #9
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, are you in Europe? If so, price out the parts on www.chainreactioncycle.com. I just ordered an XT disc wheelset from them for ~$155 CDN. I think they would build up XT hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims for you if you asked.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  10. #10
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Avid makes a short pull 'road' version of their disk brakes that would work with tt style levers

  11. #11
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the LBS build up XT Centrelocks on Open Pros, butted spokes.

    Probably could have got it cheaper online, but whatever.

  12. #12
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    I was thinking cyclocross tires but then got cross eyed trying to figure out what size was what.

  13. #13
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    shimano road and MTB cassettes are fully interchangable, except for 10sp only road hubs.
    you can even keep the XT rear dérailleur since it'll work with the shifters.
    are you saying that XT derailleurs are compat w/ STI shifters? Regardless - I have SRAM X-7 RD and shifters (I am swapping them out)

  14. #14
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berniebikes View Post
    Look here for a reasonable priced set.

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/160...-29er-Rims.htm

    You didn't state specifically but your rear dropouts are spaced for a mountain bike hub at 135mm. Standard road bike hubs are only 130mm, hence you want a road rim laced to a mountain bike hub. That said, any 29er wheelset should work just fine. Will you have adequate clearance for the larger diameter wheels ??? Better check that with a 700c wheel before you begin. As for your cassette, the M475 free hub body is the standard Shimano 8/9/10 free hub body. It will take virtually any 8/9/10 speed cassette, though you may need a spacer depending on which cassette manufacturer you pick. Good luck!

    B
    OK - what is a 29er exactly - is it a 700c rim that is wider to take 1 inch tires or bigger? My BB came with 700x28c Vitoria's on Sun rims. They only have 1/8 inch clearance. And it's a MTB frame so I'm pretty sure it has a 135mm rear end.

  15. #15
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
    I swapped my 9 spd mtb cassette to a road cassette, and kept my XT derailer, no issues.

    I also picked up a wheelset, similar to what the OP priced. I got XT disc hubs, and Mavic 319, 36 hole rims, for $230 including shipping on Ebay (about $180 Euro). But my rims are wider, 700x28 min. I had to look a long time to find the set I wanted at that price, especially the 36 hole rims. Bottom line, I think you could get a better price on Ebay, if you can find that set-up.

    I am also interested in the bullhorn/aero set-up. Anyone know if the bullhorn reverse brake levers are compatible with mtb disc brakes(Avid BB7)?
    I know STI brakes need the Avid Road BB5/BB7. I don't know about the reverse brakes.

  16. #16
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thanks....

    thanks for all the replies. Are cyclocross wheels = 29er's? Will a 29er fit the same as a 700c (assuming they have the same hubs). I am thinking I will have to have a road rim built on a MTB hub. What are the performance differences in commuting between a 700x23c and a 700x28c?

  17. #17
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28c allows you to run lower pressures than 23c, which means it'll be a bit more comfortable over rough roads.

    29'er and 700c are the same thing, they use 622mm rims 29'er can usually fit fatter tyres.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  18. #18
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    7,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwitex71 View Post
    Are cyclocross wheels = 29er's?
    Generally, no. Cyclocross tends to involve tires more in the 30-35 width range. That said, the only difference between 700c and 29er rims is the width, and some cyclocross bikes have 135mm spacing on the rear hub, so there's some similarity I suppose.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwitex71 View Post
    Will a 29er fit the same as a 700c (assuming they have the same hubs). I am thinking I will have to have a road rim built on a MTB hub.
    The only difference is width. A road rim on a MTB hub will work just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwitex71 View Post
    What are the performance differences in commuting between a 700x23c and a 700x28c?
    Performance differences would be minimal. The 23 has a smaller contact area, so on ideal pavement it would have a bit less rolling resistance. I would expect them to be pretty similar.

  19. #19
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just built Open Pros on Deore LX centerlock hubs. Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.

    Works great.
    Good night...and good luck

  20. #20
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    I just built Open Pros on Deore LX centerlock hubs. Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.
    I assume this is also for a MTB bike designed for 26" wheels? Have you noticed the increase in BB height?

    I'm trying to decide if it bothers me enough to look into dropping the suspension a bit. Probably not.

  21. #21
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I assume this is also for a MTB bike designed for 26" wheels? Have you noticed the increase in BB height?

    I'm trying to decide if it bothers me enough to look into dropping the suspension a bit. Probably not.
    No. It's for a disc equipped cross bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing.

    Another option is; I believe the Mavic Speedcity is 700c with 135mm hubs, disc capable.
    Good night...and good luck

  22. #22
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    All Mod Cons M_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Face down in a snowbank
    My Bikes
    K2 Enemey Cyclocross franken build; Redline D660 29er, Volpe SS Cross
    Posts
    3,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use any 29er wheel, except that most of them wil not take a 23mm tire. 35mm, yes, maybe even 30.

    Otherwise I think your only option may be to have it built up custom. In the long run you get a better wheel that way, though.

  23. #23
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwitex71 View Post
    are you saying that XT derailleurs are compat w/ STI shifters?
    Yes. One of my bikes has 9-speed Ultegra STI levers and an XT rear derailleur. Works very well.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwitex71 View Post
    are you saying that XT derailleurs are compat w/ STI shifters? Regardless - I have SRAM X-7 RD and shifters (I am swapping them out)
    I can confirm that; I am building a cross bike with:
    - STI 9s shifters and front derailleur (triple)
    - XT crankset, BB, chain, cassette, rear derailleur.

    Before I installed the chain, I set the high/low derailleur stops by eyeball, and snugged up the cables.
    I put on the chain and the rear shifting was perfect; I didn't even need to make any adjustment.

    The front shifting is another story. It is very difficult to get adjusted. I think part of the issue is the 44/32/22 chainring set. I can't get the derailleur down tight to the large chainring because the lower end of the cage hits the chainstay. I may need to try the spare set (48/46/26). I was hoping to use the smaller set for the mountain climbs I'm always doing.

  25. #25
    Bike Ninja
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bavaria
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500 DC, CD BB Ultra, Trek 300
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    No. It's for a disc equipped cross bike with 135mm rear dropout spacing.

    Another option is; I believe the Mavic Speedcity is 700c with 135mm hubs, disc capable.
    I looked at the Mavic Speedcity set and boy are they proud of them. @ $450 a set I think I can get a custom made set cheaper in the color scheme I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •