Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone know who makes Signal lights?

    i was thinking... is there a manufacturer out there that makes the signal lights for the bike? U know like the signal lights on ur car?

  2. #2
    L-Dawg™ L-Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Fuji Thrill
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    i was thinking... is there a manufacturer out there that makes the signal lights for the bike? U know like the signal lights on ur car?
    Maybe a clever way to rig a motorcycle light-system ~ or a way to mirror that?
    There are three things we all should do every day. Number one is laugh. Number two is think. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day.
    -Jim Valvano

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't build one two small LED blinkies and a pair of switches rigged to the handlebars...

  4. #4
    OregonBound
    Guest
    It has been done many times over the years and the general consensus has always been:

    1. The seperation on the typical bike is not sufficent to provide adequate visual signal.

    2. Motorists are not accustomed to looking for turn signals on a bike.

    3. The complexity/weight trade off is not favorable.

    4. Hand signals are a viable system for cyclists.

    Amazingly, a search on Google for "turn signal lights bicycle" (with out the quotes) turns up several sources for the signals. Google is your friend.

    Paul

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    My Bikes
    '84 Ross Mt. Rainier, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Pro, '98 Novara Trionfo TeamSL, '00 Novara Metro with Xtracycle
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out www.funsourcellc.com. I have never seen these in a shop or on a bike, but they are there.

  6. #6
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humm... i was thinking about something along this line. perhaps it's not that hard to make one, just have to find the right parts i guess.

    as for mounting it... you can mount it on the end of your handle bars, or if you have a rear rack, you can mount it on there as well. besides, if the LED lights has a shape of an Aarow and is amber, i am sure the drivers will see it.

  7. #7
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERTON
    they used to sell them at walmart when i was little. ... ... i think puting blinkers on yer hands would be better.
    as a matter of fact, i remembered seeing them in walmart before. on of my dad's friend sells those LED in Taiwan. perhaps I should ask him if they made those or not.

  8. #8
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonBound
    It has been done many times over the years and the general consensus has always been:

    1. The seperation on the typical bike is not sufficent to provide adequate visual signal.

    2. Motorists are not accustomed to looking for turn signals on a bike.

    3. The complexity/weight trade off is not favorable.

    4. Hand signals are a viable system for cyclists.

    Amazingly, a search on Google for "turn signal lights bicycle" (with out the quotes) turns up several sources for the signals. Google is your friend.

    Paul
    Differing on most points. LEDs are light and can be large enough to run on trailers or whatever. As I'm traveling a decent, I need to signal much longer than can be done by hand. In rush hour, same...to get the drivers to see me sooner.

    I need front and rear signals, brake and running lights all one one circuit cuz my Cl*pBrite Euro clip broke in a bad spot so please post alternatives??..

  9. #9
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-Dawg
    Maybe a clever way to rig a motorcycle light-system ~ or a way to mirror that?
    I'm thinking if a left mirror and right mirror could be mounted on each handle bar with an LED FACING oncoming traffic this may be suitable. Like some of the new cars? Don't know where to get that. When I ask at the auto store...they smile and know I'm blond.

    -V

  10. #10
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrkelley
    I'm thinking if a left mirror and right mirror could be mounted on each handle bar with an LED FACING oncoming traffic this may be suitable. Like some of the new cars? Don't know where to get that. When I ask at the auto store...they smile and know I'm blond.

    -V
    V, i too have thought about that. before i got into biking, i was heavily into modding cars. they sell some LED arrow pointers that you an stick onto the mirrors of your car and powered by a 12V. now, i can probably get that to fit on those small bike mirrors.. but would have to think of how to make the trigger and how to get it powered.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    My Bikes
    2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    i was thinking... is there a manufacturer out there that makes the signal lights for the bike? U know like the signal lights on ur car?
    They sold them like 25 years ago

  12. #12
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pletcgm
    They sold them like 25 years ago
    25 yrs ago? well, time to bring them back to life then... hehehe

  13. #13
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at motorcycles, there is something like 50 cm (18-20 inches) between the centre line and each of the turn signals. To get something where both directions are easily identified, you would need to get both flashers ON dimly and the one which actually flashes go bright. Even with LEDs, that's a lot of battery power and a lot of wiring needed.

    I think that with proper on-bike training and a well-fitted bicycle, one is able to signal in most situations with one's arm. BTW, I operate my front brake with the right hand and find it quite easy to brake and signal at the same time, even (especially) on a bike with drop bars. At night, a couple of reflective bands on the wrists should solve the problem of nighttime visibility.

    Regards,
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  14. #14
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgagnonlv
    If you look at motorcycles, there is something like 50 cm (18-20 inches) between the centre line and each of the turn signals. To get something where both directions are easily identified, you would need to get both flashers ON dimly and the one which actually flashes go bright. Even with LEDs, that's a lot of battery power and a lot of wiring needed.

    I think that with proper on-bike training and a well-fitted bicycle, one is able to signal in most situations with one's arm. BTW, I operate my front brake with the right hand and find it quite easy to brake and signal at the same time, even (especially) on a bike with drop bars. At night, a couple of reflective bands on the wrists should solve the problem of nighttime visibility.

    Regards,
    true... u can signal with your arm. the funny thing i found is when i tried to do that... the drivers here has no idea what you are doing and then they just continue to drive... go figure

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    My Bikes
    2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    true... u can signal with your arm. the funny thing i found is when i tried to do that... the drivers here has no idea what you are doing and then they just continue to drive... go figure
    Same situation here! Is that not pathetic?!?!? They don't even know the basic arm traffic signals. I have had people to wave at me thinking that I had waved at them. I will be like !

  16. #16
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pletcgm
    Same situation here! Is that not pathetic?!?!? They don't even know the basic arm traffic signals. I have had people to wave at me thinking that I had waved at them. I will be like !
    :werd: totally agree on that one! most of the time, they really do think ur waving at them. i mean.. when i took my driver's license test 10 yrs ago... i remember seeing the arm signals for cyclist in the booklet. i guess either DMV took that out or those people didn't get tested on that one.

  17. #17
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    V, i too have thought about that. before i got into biking, i was heavily into modding cars. they sell some LED arrow pointers that you an stick onto the mirrors of your car and powered by a 12V. now, i can probably get that to fit on those small bike mirrors.. but would have to think of how to make the trigger and how to get it powered.
    You'd almost need a switch on each handle bar. When turning left, hit the left turn. Right, hit the right turn switch. But the front and back would need to be wired together. And you'd have to turn them off after you come out of the turn.

    -V

  18. #18
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrkelley
    You'd almost need a switch on each handle bar. When turning left, hit the left turn. Right, hit the right turn switch. But the front and back would need to be wired together. And you'd have to turn them off after you come out of the turn.

    -V
    the switch part isn't too hard. the wiring should be fine as well. just the power source is what I'm thinking about. I would need enough juice to power both front and rear.

  19. #19
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    the switch part isn't too hard. the wiring should be fine as well. just the power source is what I'm thinking about. I would need enough juice to power both front and rear.
    Well the switch would need a timer in it to turn the light on and off. Which one were you thinking about?

    Here are the lights I'm considering (not doing anything for at least a month due to Spring-Honey-Do projects) http://www.brakelite.com/page4.html Some take 6V or others AA batteries. I have a 18V battery and am not sure how to regulate the voltage so the lights don't burn out.

  20. #20
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrkelley
    Well the switch would need a timer in it to turn the light on and off. Which one were you thinking about?

    Here are the lights I'm considering (not doing anything for at least a month due to Spring-Honey-Do projects) http://www.brakelite.com/page4.html Some take 6V or others AA batteries. I have a 18V battery and am not sure how to regulate the voltage so the lights don't burn out.
    i probably wouldn't be planning on using any timer switch of that sort. i would just use some switches that i normally use for interior decor for the car. radio shack sells those button type switch that allows you to control the on/off feature with a push of a button. they are pretty small and thus easy to mount, but will have to fab up some mounts first.

    i've been pretty swamped at work lately.. wish i had some Honey Do list.. lol. but i'll think of something.. and then perhaps write up a DIY for it.

  21. #21
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They sell these on ebay.com.au and will post to usa and europe
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=3669621684
    I have a couple of set coming to play with one, set is going on an electric bike the other one I will think about. They seem to be getting dearer at each auction one of mine was only $5 !

  22. #22
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee
    They sell these on ebay.com.au and will post to usa and europe
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=3669621684
    I have a couple of set coming to play with one, set is going on an electric bike the other one I will think about. They seem to be getting dearer at each auction one of mine was only $5 !
    What they *don't* show in the picture is how the plug sits at the back of this light (and has the electrodes that control the signals to the lights). If this one is designed like the Cl*pBr*te, the weight of the light causes the light to bounce out of it's bracket. You can use a rubberband to hold the light against it's own bracket, but as the band stretches out, the lights tend to "turn on" or give incorrect signals at the wrong times (like when you go over a bump).

    If you're runs better than mine, will you post the company who made it?
    Last edited by vrkelley; 04-03-04 at 05:33 AM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries will post when They showup.

  24. #24
    need to go out and ride.. ruirui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R1, 2013 NB-CRF
    Posts
    1,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee
    No worries will post when They showup.
    that's actually pretty nice except that the lights are so close together. that would mean that it's not going to be too easy for drivers to see it. also, this unit will be nice if you mounted on the back of your rear rack.

    plus from what i remembered of seeing that unit online.. there are 4 buttons on the control console...
    1- on/off
    2- left light
    3- right light
    4- stop light

    so if you panic.. what if you end up pushing the wrong buttons? well, geebee.. let us know how it works out for you. thanks!

    rui

  25. #25
    Enjoy
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Seattle metro
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    6,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirui
    that's actually pretty nice
    so if you panic.. what if you end up pushing the wrong buttons? well, geebee.. let us know how it works out for you. thanks!

    rui
    The drivers seemed to understand the signalling. But with a winter glove, on a decent and making a left turn, you must look down and carefully move the switch to the left. That part's takes a little learning..but to cancel when you come out of the turn it's too easy to push the switch all of the way to the right (falsely indicating that you'll be now turning right).

    But maybe for other people who are just traveling on the flats this would be OK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •