Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Commuter Bicycle Pics (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/49471-commuter-bicycle-pics.html)

Jean Beetham Smith 04-10-04 01:53 PM

Chuckfox, you get the prize for taking the biggest lunch to work!

chuckfox 04-10-04 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
Chuckfox, you get the prize for taking the biggest lunch to work!

Yeah, I'm really hungry after that morning commute!

caloso 04-10-04 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchreiberBike
Do you have reflective handlebar tape there, or am I seeing things?

Yup. It's genius. Really makes the bike stand out in headlights and keeps a clean, sleek look in the daytime.

vrkelley 04-10-04 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso
Mine is a REI Novara Triompho. I call him "Ray." Haven't done much to it since it's my rain trainer and all-around "B" bike as well as the daily commuter.

Cool bike.. So what do you have on this bike that helps it weather rain???

greywolf 04-10-04 11:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres my wet weather bike 'Rainrunner' ,I've posted it pics before, but it realy comes under commuter,errand bike , its the same one that dumped me & broke my hip ! was seriously thinking of taking the gas-axe to it :eek:

SchreiberBike 04-10-04 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso
Yup. It's genius. Really makes the bike stand out in headlights and keeps a clean, sleek look in the daytime.

So, is it a product designed for that purpose, or have you adapted something? How did you adapt it?

caloso 04-11-04 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchreiberBike
So, is it a product designed for that purpose, or have you adapted something? How did you adapt it?

It is a product of the fine folks at Cinelli: http://www.cinelli.it/eng/bici/original/LUX.html

caloso 04-11-04 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrkelley
Cool bike.. So what do you have on this bike that helps it weather rain???

It has advanced technology, originally developed by Kelly Johnson at the famed Skunk Works, that allows me to ride it between the rain drops. ;)

Actually, nothing. I was going to try to find those race fenders and never got around to it. So, basically, I get wet.

mjw16 04-12-04 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso
It has advanced technology, originally developed by Kelly Johnson at the famed Skunk Works, that allows me to ride it between the rain drops. ;)

Actually, nothing. I was going to try to find those race fenders and never got around to it. So, basically, I get wet.

"Commutasaurus"


[IMG]

trekkie820 04-12-04 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My commuter, before my mods. I put on a shimano 600 crankset with a 43t chainwheel, making my ratio 43-17, fender, and a Selle Itala genuine gel saddle, plus a few stickers to up the beater factor.

Patrick A 04-12-04 05:49 PM

Right now, my rear wheel is off. That, and I got a flat, replaced the tube and then got a pinch flat, then realized that I didn't have a patch kit. So, the big knobby was the only tire/tube combo I had around to make the ting road able. My commute is short but tough (about 8 miles each way, street and trail) so the big, fat rear actually works very well. I had clearance issues with the fender, so I had to work some zip-tie magic. The rig is soon to get 60 mm fenders and 26 x 1.95 Armadillo Hemispheres. The bar ends turned the other way on the riser makes for a comfortable ride. (I like upright)

http://www.patrickarena.com/april04_057.jpg
http://www.patrickarena.com/april04_058.jpg

Pictured unloaded without bags and locks.

Trying out the new Nitto Albatross bar with some old grips. The cable isn't long enough for the front brake and I have neither the tools nor materials around to rig a new cable. Going to teach myself, I guess. The old grips there will go away and the bar will get taped. Might also change out the grip shifter to an old Sturmey-Archer thumb shifter (as I've taken off the front derailleur).

http://www.patrickarena.com/april04_082.jpg

bradw 04-12-04 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought this Trek 6500 about two years ago. Use it mostly for my 12.5 mile round trip commute. The hubs on the original wheels went bad, so I have a new set of wheels with Deore hubs and Mavic 221 rims. Also have Continental Top Touring tires, Zefal fenders, and Road Toad Combo lights.

slvoid 04-12-04 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My NYC commuter, Specialized hardrock sport, it's more lock than bike...

Zin 04-13-04 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slvoid
My NYC commuter, Specialized hardrock sport, it's more lock than bike...

YIKES! :eek:

caloso 04-13-04 01:36 PM

Slvoid, are those strips of scotchlite tape on your rims?

vixen2yall 04-13-04 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's my baby, but these are older pictures as i've changed the lighting on her and added some "tape" lights on the fenders. i need to finish setting the lights up and reposty the new pictures when i take em.

cheers
Kat

slvoid 04-13-04 07:50 PM

They're 1" long strips of 3M white reflective tape. Some people like a quarter of their wheel covered by it so it flashes as the wheel spins. I had extra time so I just covered the whole inner rim. Makes for two nice glowing rings of light in front of cars, it looks pretty cool.
As you can see though, the spoke reflectors don't work for squat. The reflective stuff though works good, under regular lighting without the flash the stickers are so filthy they're actually a dull gray. Which reminds me, I better wipe them down right now!

slvoid 04-13-04 08:05 PM

I already have a 10 pound fahgaddaboudit chain. In NYC, you can pretty much wrap the chain around anything, including thick 12" dia lamp posts. The short cable's for the front wheel though if the place's bad enough, I'll just take the wheel off and lock it to the back. Plus it's good to make a quick lockup while I run into a store for a drink. The larger cable's nice cause I can lock the back of my gf's bike and mine with the chain and thread the cable around both our front wheels and frames plus her seat.
Most u-lock's are too small to clear the front fender plus make the distance between the front wheel and downtube.

Schiek 04-14-04 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1980's Unishikivega converted to fixed gear. 45t chainring, 16t cog, and 170 cranks. I have swapped out everything except the fork and headset. Built up the wheels about a month ago. Great in the rain, which seems to be neverending in DC these days.

K6-III 04-14-04 10:41 AM

1994 Giant Perigee with almost no stock parts remaining:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~kaga0008/2.jpg

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~kaga0008/3.jpg

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~kaga0008/4.jpg

SKS Raceblade Fenders
Sigma Diode tail-light
EL300 headlight

PatLuc 04-14-04 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Specialized Globe and Jeunet SS project...
Pat

cyclezealot 04-14-04 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso
Mine is a REI Novara Triompho. I call him "Ray." Haven't done much to it since it's my rain trainer and all-around "B" bike as well as the daily commuter.

Caloso..I notice how effective your handlebars are with the reflective tape about them...Good idea..Bet that really shows up..I assume you just wrapped reflective tape about the handlebar tape. Don't thnk handlebar tape comes already reflecterized...Fear taping reflectized tape over tape...Reflective tape would wear quickly.

Dv8shawn 04-14-04 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Caloso..I notice how effective your handlebars are with the reflective tape about them...Good idea..Bet that really shows up..I assume you just wrapped reflective tape about the handlebar tape. Don't thnk handlebar tape comes already reflecterized...Fear taping reflectized tape over tape...Reflective tape would wear quickly.

As mentioned above. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso
It is a product of the fine folks at Cinelli: http://www.cinelli.it/eng/bici/original/LUX.html


caloso 04-15-04 12:13 AM

Well, actually it's true that the reflective stuff wears off. But it wears off where you usually put your hands and they'd cover it up anyway.

But on the drops, it shows up really well and it's a very distinctive pattern to boot.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 AM.