Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Commuter Bicycle Pics (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/49471-commuter-bicycle-pics.html)

cjewett65 04-04-12 09:34 PM

My commuter setup: Marin Novato 29er
 
My Marin Novato 29er: Best commuter setup i could fathom in my mind
In all its glory, headlight is niterider 350, bunch of rear blinkies, rack is topeak explorer disk
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-04121944.jpg
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-04122535.jpg
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-04122154.jpg
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-04122129.jpg

Guitarfool5931 04-05-12 09:39 AM

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/...931/photo1.jpg


Sorry about the last blank post. I tried deleting but for some reason it hasn't.

Anyway I've had this bike for almost a month now. I have no car so I commute to work instead of taking the bus. I love the bike and the only thing I've notices is that the shifters tend to skip every now and then. This is probably something I'll upgrade later on.

runningDoc 04-05-12 09:41 AM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7256/6...fa5ffed0_b.jpg

now with outfitted for commuting.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7...bf244172_b.jpg

TheTreauth 04-05-12 10:01 AM

That Redline is so pimp.

erg79 04-05-12 10:10 AM

Yeah, the fenders look great with the black rims.

Underground 04-05-12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTreauth (Post 14061665)
That Redline is so pimp.

^^^^^ Agreed!

Chris Chicago 04-05-12 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 14061570)

now with outfitted for commuting.

i cringed when i read that before scrolling down, bc it looked so nice, almost perfect, in the first pic i was anticipating a hot mess. but you pulled it off.

runningDoc 04-05-12 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago (Post 14063796)
i cringed when i read that before scrolling down, bc it looked so nice, almost perfect, in the first pic i was anticipating a hot mess. but you pulled it off.

thanks! after taking this pic there was a gust of wind and it promptly fell over and I bent the derailleur hanger. :(

I had to go to my LBS and have them align it for me... I may have built up the bike but still don't have derailleur hanger alignment, and headset tools yet.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7...d5036f6f_b.jpg

bigbenaugust 04-05-12 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 14064027)
thanks! after taking this pic there was a gust of wind and it promptly fell over and I bent the derailleur hanger. :(
I had to go to my LBS and have them align it for me... I may have built up the bike but still don't have derailleur hanger alignment, and headset tools yet.

Can't you just eyeball that sort of thing? I haven't had to do it before, so call me crazy...

hartsu 04-06-12 02:05 AM

Beautiful Redline^^
(One small cosmetic flaws, rack is not level..)

Underground 04-06-12 03:24 AM

I didn't even notice it until you pointed that out. Good eye.

I guess since it flowed along the same line as the top tube, it just blended in and worked. Now you pointed it out, it still doesn't bug me. Weird.

oliverb 04-06-12 03:34 AM

My Ribble Commuter
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6...05fccde5_z.jpg
Ribble 7005 Audax / Winter Training 2012 by Brett Oliver, on Flickr

Specs.
Ribble 7005 Audax / Winter Training
Ribble Audax 7005 Horizontal Frame Blue 50cm (C-Top)
CSN BlackStorm Mguard eyes Winter Forks 1 1/8" ITS
Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
Shimano Tiagra 4603 10 Spd Triple Groupset
Shimano 4600 BB Cups (double/triple) Eng
Shimano Tiagra 4600 Brakes
Shimano 10 Spd Tiagra 4600 Cassette 12-30
Shimano 10 Speed 4601 Tiagra Chain
Shimano Tiagra Triple 4603 10 Chainset 170 30/39/50
Shimano Tiagra 4603 10 Triple Front Gear Braze-on
Shimano Tiagra 4600 10 Spd Rear Gear Medium
Shimano STI Levers Tiagra 4603 with cables Triple
Wheels Mavic Aksium Race Clincher
Deda Zero 100 Oversize Handlebars 42cm
ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Stem Black 100mm
CSN Headset Spacer Alloy 1 1/8 10mm Black
CSN Superleggera K10 Saddle Black
CSN Superleggera Alloy Seatpillar Black 27.2 350mm
Continental Ultra Gator Skin Folding Tyre 700x23mm Black/Black
Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
Zefal Narrow Guards (pair) Black
Pro Gel Handlebar Tape Black
Shimano Clipless Spd A600 Pedals
Weight inc pedals 22.5lbs

DVC45 04-06-12 05:53 PM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMAG0189.jpg

I know, I know, it's crossed chained...
:o

TurbineBlade 04-06-12 07:30 PM

Quote:

Can't you just eyeball that sort of thing? I haven't had to do it before, so call me crazy...
Some people do this with a huge adjustsable wrench or just by jamming an allen key in there and bending it by eye, but this is a really terrible idea. If you "ovalize" the hanger bolt hole you're ****ed. It's a lot easier to have the shop do it for a few bucks or find a bike co-op.

monsterpile 04-06-12 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVC45 (Post 14067971)

Maybe I missed it, but was this built up from that gigantic Nashbar frame sale?

DVC45 04-06-12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterpile (Post 14068662)
Maybe I missed it, but was this built up from that gigantic Nashbar frame sale?

Yup!

bigbenaugust 04-06-12 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurbineBlade (Post 14068284)
Some people do this with a huge adjustsable wrench or just by jamming an allen key in there and bending it by eye, but this is a really terrible idea. If you "ovalize" the hanger bolt hole you're ****ed. It's a lot easier to have the shop do it for a few bucks or find a bike co-op.

The shop caught it for me the one time I bent a derailleur hanger. I went down when my chain got caught between my big ring and the f/d in an intersection and snapped a link. Not being the amateur wrench I am now, I got it together at the curb and limped home, then took it to the shop.

Now all of my bikes are either SS or have replaceable hangers.

djork 04-07-12 12:01 AM

DVC45: That's a big seat post rack/bag thing you have. Doesn't it put lateral stress on the seat post or the seat tube? Nice bike, btw.

DVC45 04-07-12 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djork (Post 14069003)
DVC45: That's a big seat post rack/bag thing you have. Doesn't it put lateral stress on the seat post or the seat tube? Nice bike, btw.

Maybe, but my seat post is aluminum, if that matters.
I only put extra coat, tire repair kit and lunch in there. Nothing heavy.

Thanks!

monsterpile 04-07-12 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVC45 (Post 14068905)
Yup!

Sweet did it come together well? Maybe you had a thread about the bike and I missed it because I didn't post for a while. If there was a thread I would like to read it. I would be alot more jealous that I never got one of those Nashbar frames to build up if I hadn't got such a great deal on my Windsor Tourist.

DVC45 04-07-12 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterpile (Post 14069493)
Sweet did it come together well? Maybe you had a thread about the bike and I missed it because I didn't post for a while. If there was a thread I would like to read it. I would be alot more jealous that I never got one of those Nashbar frames to build up if I hadn't got such a great deal on my Windsor Tourist.

The forum is not allowing username thread search (or maybe it's just me).
Anyway, the only thing I was disappointed of, is the frame won't take 700x35 tires with fenders on. But, yes, the build was problem free. Everything fell in place. I was able to use most parts I have laying around to good use. The dynamo hub and Planet Bike Blaze headlight is nice thing to have and the disc brake in front is awesome for stopping. I'm really happy with this build.

I will eventually convert it to full disc brakes, but only if I find a great deal for one. :)

RGNY 04-09-12 04:29 AM

Nashbar steel CX and Leader 722ts. one for the gravel access roads to one office, one for the urban ride to the other:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5343/7...82199dbb_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5276/6...282fcc9b_c.jpg

Ridefreemc 04-09-12 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hartsu (Post 14065014)
Beautiful Redline^^
(One small cosmetic flaws, rack is not level..)

If you square off the support it will have more strength then if you were to leave it rounded. At least that has been my experience.

Like the bell BTW.

WolfsBane 04-09-12 02:05 PM

I've already been using her to go everywhere on my daily routine, including commuting to work. Originally built her to be my all around, all weather, on road/off road riding machine. She's turning out to be my "go anywhere, anytime" riding machine. Hardly use any of my motored vehicles to go around town anymore... I just love to ride my Gunnar wherever I go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5450510...ream/lightbox/

flake 04-10-12 10:55 PM

Hi,

This is my go to anywhere bike (missus banned from the bedroom, though :-)).
2011 Tricross Comp. Changed the pedals to XT trekking pedals and added fenders. Otherwise, stock.


http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5449/6...733f7dcdca.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7...cea6c2b7cd.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7...1d3cff5fb9.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.