Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 456 of 501 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466 ... LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 12522
  1. #11376
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I can't put my finger on what makes this bike look so badass. Is it the decals? What is it?
    It's lime green. It's so psychedelic. Yeah, baby!

  2. #11377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
    It's lime green. It's so psychedelic. Yeah, baby!
    Kawasaki green, in fact. http://www.powderbuythepound.com/KAWASAKI_GREEN/

  3. #11378
    Senior Member joyota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    1998 Nishiki Blazer, 2004 Trek 4500
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emveezee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I can't put my finger on what makes this bike look so badass. Is it the decals? What is it?
    For me, it's the black blade fork, rims, and brake levers. Very cool.
    "The ratio of wheels per passenger should never exceed 2:1." - Me


    My Rides

  4. #11379
    Get on your bikes & ride! xB_Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lextown
    My Bikes
    See signature (it varys day to day)
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seat stay setup is sweet too. Very bad a$$ bike...
    Litespeed Classic
    Soma Double Cross DC

  5. #11380
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xB_Nutt View Post
    The seat stay setup is sweet too. Very bad a$$ bike...
    funny how about 1 or 2 pages ago when i posted my bike it has the same type of forked seat stay and someone was saying they hated it

  6. #11381
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and i agree it's a hot bike - i think the shape of the bike is very appealing - traditional road bike look, not giant oversized, and the color scheme is mega. the bright green with the white decals is very eye catching. to be honest i never noticed it had a black fork until someone pointed it out :lol
    it's not an overbearing hot road bike, which is nice to see these days.

  7. #11382
    cheese connoisseur Mumonkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    3,904
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I can't put my finger on what makes this bike look so badass. Is it the decals? What is it?
    the sum of all things.
    ride bikes, eat food. the circle of life.

  8. #11383
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my new commuter:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #11384
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,809
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ninevictor, that's interesting. Tell us about it.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  10. #11385
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Superbe, 1986 Miyata 610, 2011 Kona Phd
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I alternate just about equally among my three bikes on a 20k round trip commute

    1974 Raleigh Superbe.jpg1986 Miyata 610.jpg2011 Kona Phd.jpg


    Sooo many fine looking bikes on this thread!

  11. #11386
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    ninevictor, that's interesting. Tell us about it.
    OK! =)

    The bike is a custom build by Zealot Bikes out of Corona, CA. The frame is KVA MS2 stainless steel with Paragon Poly Drops designed for belt drive. The frame and fork have eyelets for racks and fenders should I choose to go that route instead of the backpack I currently use.

    The drivetrain is Gates Carbon Drive paired with Shimano Alfine 11 Di2

    I wanted disc brakes so they selected Avid BB7 S Road calipers with Shimano centerlock rotors.

    The front hub is an Alfine dynamo hub laced to Stan's ZTR Alpha 340 Disc tubeless rims with Hutchison Secteur 28c tires.

    The framebuilder is a fellow bike + train commuter and rides a belt-drive bike. It was my interest in belt drive that sparked the conversation that resulted in this bike. We imagined a low-maintenance commute bike that could stand in for a traditional road bike because of my propensity to throw in some "extra credit" mileage on my afternoon rides home. Stainless steel was selected as the low-maintenance frame material. Shimano's mechanical Alfine 11 was the initial IGH of choice but we soon changed to Di2 after Di2 parts started becoming more readily available in the US. There's no functional reason we decided on Di2. The honest truth is that we all thought it would just be really cool. Gates' Carbon Drive was always the drive component of choice because of its durability and clean method of operation. No lube required; can't have grease getting on the pant legs. Disc brakes were used because I commute by bike rain-or-shine and the improved wet-weather performance of disc brakes over standard road calipers cannot be denied.

    The Alfine 11 gear range is incredibly wide and very functional. I've taken the bike up some of the steeper climbs (>15% grade) in the area so the low gears are more than sufficient. Additionally I can easily cruise at 20 mph on the local MUPs and still have a couple of taller gears at my disposal. An added benefit is the belt drive is extremely quiet! It's even quieter than the single speed chain that was used to test the bike while the builders were waiting on Gates to release the Di2-compatible rear sprocket.

    I hope that covers what you were looking for!

  12. #11387
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,809
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, and more. It's a very special bike indeed.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  13. #11388
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,809
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    funny how about 1 or 2 pages ago when i posted my bike it has the same type of forked seat stay and someone was saying they hated it
    Are you talking about this bike of yours? Sorry, but it's pretty different, aesthetically, from MVZ's bike.

    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  14. #11389
    Cue
    Cue is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninevictor View Post
    Here's my new commuter:

    Details? Brand?

  15. #11390
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,346
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninevictor View Post
    rted becoming more readily available in the US. There's no functional reason we decided on Di2. The honest truth is that we all thought it would just be really cool.
    Wait, did you jury-rig Di2 shifter & actuator to drive an Alfine, or does Shimano make an Alfine IGH with a Di2 shifter?

  16. #11391
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Details? Brand?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15960886

  17. #11392
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    Wait, did you jury-rig Di2 shifter & actuator to drive an Alfine, or does Shimano make an Alfine IGH with a Di2 shifter?
    It's a Shimano groupset. They offer Di2 in Dura-Ace, Ultegra and Alfine IGH. This is all I could find on the Shimano website: http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...lfine_di2.html

  18. #11393
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Are you talking about this bike of yours? Sorry, but it's pretty different, aesthetically, from MVZ's bike.
    crap i guess i thought this was the hot or not thread when i said that. that's an old picture, i've changed a few things and have new pics in that other thread. i know it's not exactly the same but its the same idea. doesn't really matter was just making an observation

  19. #11394
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it. My next bike will be a belt drive. SS or IGH, I don't care.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: I openSUSE: II

  20. #11395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    That's it. My next bike will be a belt drive. SS or IGH, I don't care.
    You won't regret it. I'm loving mine.

  21. #11396
    Senior Member Nick The Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, Torker U-District
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninevictor View Post
    OK! =)

    The bike is a custom build by Zealot Bikes out of Corona, CA. The frame is KVA MS2 stainless steel with Paragon Poly Drops designed for belt drive. The frame and fork have eyelets for racks and fenders should I choose to go that route instead of the backpack I currently use.

    The drivetrain is Gates Carbon Drive paired with Shimano Alfine 11 Di2

    I wanted disc brakes so they selected Avid BB7 S Road calipers with Shimano centerlock rotors.

    The front hub is an Alfine dynamo hub laced to Stan's ZTR Alpha 340 Disc tubeless rims with Hutchison Secteur 28c tires.

    The framebuilder is a fellow bike + train commuter and rides a belt-drive bike. It was my interest in belt drive that sparked the conversation that resulted in this bike. We imagined a low-maintenance commute bike that could stand in for a traditional road bike because of my propensity to throw in some "extra credit" mileage on my afternoon rides home. Stainless steel was selected as the low-maintenance frame material. Shimano's mechanical Alfine 11 was the initial IGH of choice but we soon changed to Di2 after Di2 parts started becoming more readily available in the US. There's no functional reason we decided on Di2. The honest truth is that we all thought it would just be really cool. Gates' Carbon Drive was always the drive component of choice because of its durability and clean method of operation. No lube required; can't have grease getting on the pant legs. Disc brakes were used because I commute by bike rain-or-shine and the improved wet-weather performance of disc brakes over standard road calipers cannot be denied.

    The Alfine 11 gear range is incredibly wide and very functional. I've taken the bike up some of the steeper climbs (>15% grade) in the area so the low gears are more than sufficient. Additionally I can easily cruise at 20 mph on the local MUPs and still have a couple of taller gears at my disposal. An added benefit is the belt drive is extremely quiet! It's even quieter than the single speed chain that was used to test the bike while the builders were waiting on Gates to release the Di2-compatible rear sprocket.

    I hope that covers what you were looking for!
    Damn that's slick!
    http://instagram.com/nickandbruce

  22. #11397
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny, I grew up in Corona... I will have to see if I know these guys.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: I openSUSE: II

  23. #11398
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant Sedona
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninevictor View Post
    OK! =)

    The bike is a custom build by Zealot Bikes out of Corona, CA. The frame is KVA MS2 stainless steel with Paragon Poly Drops designed for belt drive. The frame and fork have eyelets for racks and fenders should I choose to go that route instead of the backpack I currently use.

    The drivetrain is Gates Carbon Drive paired with Shimano Alfine 11 Di2

    I wanted disc brakes so they selected Avid BB7 S Road calipers with Shimano centerlock rotors.

    The front hub is an Alfine dynamo hub laced to Stan's ZTR Alpha 340 Disc tubeless rims with Hutchison Secteur 28c tires.

    The framebuilder is a fellow bike + train commuter and rides a belt-drive bike. It was my interest in belt drive that sparked the conversation that resulted in this bike. We imagined a low-maintenance commute bike that could stand in for a traditional road bike because of my propensity to throw in some "extra credit" mileage on my afternoon rides home. Stainless steel was selected as the low-maintenance frame material. Shimano's mechanical Alfine 11 was the initial IGH of choice but we soon changed to Di2 after Di2 parts started becoming more readily available in the US. There's no functional reason we decided on Di2. The honest truth is that we all thought it would just be really cool. Gates' Carbon Drive was always the drive component of choice because of its durability and clean method of operation. No lube required; can't have grease getting on the pant legs. Disc brakes were used because I commute by bike rain-or-shine and the improved wet-weather performance of disc brakes over standard road calipers cannot be denied.

    The Alfine 11 gear range is incredibly wide and very functional. I've taken the bike up some of the steeper climbs (>15% grade) in the area so the low gears are more than sufficient. Additionally I can easily cruise at 20 mph on the local MUPs and still have a couple of taller gears at my disposal. An added benefit is the belt drive is extremely quiet! It's even quieter than the single speed chain that was used to test the bike while the builders were waiting on Gates to release the Di2-compatible rear sprocket.

    I hope that covers what you were looking for!
    Tre cool! Can I ask in what part of the world you live?
    I'm slow, go around

  24. #11399
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    Tre cool! Can I ask in what part of the world you live?
    From the picture... Southern California, maybe Los Angeles county.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: I openSUSE: II

  25. #11400
    High Plains Luddite
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    1 road bike, 1 MTB
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics of my new-to-me commuter bike, from craigslist. It looks pretty drab but rides so much better than the full-suspension Mongoose I had been riding. This is much faster, especially uphill. I bought it yesterday evening after work and rode it to work this morning after adding the underseat bag with a tube and lock and the front water bottle cage with a mini-pump clipped to the side.

    It's a Raleigh USA MT 400, made in Seattle. The brakes, brake levers, shifters, and tires don't match each other, but both derailleurs are Shimano Deore LX. I imagine I'll change stuff over time - like having matching brake levers, especially. Do you guys have any favorites on the lower side of the price range? Right now one feels great (Shimano, looks like aluminum to me) but one feels cheap and flimsy (ProMax, looks like cheapest Chinese pot metal available).

    Do either of the tires look backwards to you guys? They both do to me, but I confess I know little about bike tires.

    Shopping list - brake levers...maybe I can buy one that matches the Shimano I like on craiglist, eBay, etc.?

    Pedals - I don't like clips on pedals and while I could remove these, the pedals themselves are pretty mashed up. Is there sort of an inexpensive but durable favorite pedal among MTBers and commuters who wear regular shoes while riding?

    Fenders, rear rack, and some kind of rack bag. Maybe a little stubby front rack too that mounts on the brake...uh...mounts? You guys know what I mean. There's a recent thread about them.

    Grips. These are terrible. They are thicker at the outside and after my five mile commute this morning, it felt like all the pressure was on the bone between my pinky and wrist on each hand, instead of evenly distributed across my hands.

    Saddle. It looks and feels like the stock seat on my Mongoose but I've been at my desk for about an hour now and I still feel like I'm on the bike. That didn't happen on the other bike. I guess it might be the lack of suspension, but otherwise I stand whenever going over bumps and such. I'll switch them out tonight and see how that works tomorrow.






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •