Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 464 of 518 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514 ... LastLast
Results 11,576 to 11,600 of 12941
  1. #11576
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,596
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heycool, so is that a rack trunk, or just a backpack that fits really really well onto your rack?

  2. #11577
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    My Bikes
    Bmx cruzers, old ATB commuter
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arkel seat rail rack and matching bag
    really cool set up. Working great so far

  3. #11578
    Senior Member Buzzatronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2012 Jamis Bosanova, 2014 Motobecane Fixie Record, 2001 Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we're having no rain this week in Seattle I took the opportunity to break out the single speed again and ride it to work. I "murdered" it out a bit with all black accessories (but I wear a big bird yellow jacket ). I passed 2 guys on geared bikes coming up the 1.1mi 5% climb which felt really good.


  4. #11579
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    20,797
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buzzatronic, that's slick.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  5. #11580
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic View Post
    Since we're having no rain this week in Seattle I took the opportunity to break out the single speed again and ride it to work. I "murdered" it out a bit with all black accessories (but I wear a big bird yellow jacket ). I passed 2 guys on geared bikes coming up the 1.1mi 5% climb which felt really good.
    Slick ride. I don't have the cojones to ride a fixie for my commute, nor the legs to pass anybody on it on a 1.1 mile 5% climb.

  6. #11581
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love that bike. top tube bag kills it though
    function over form though while commuting i suppose
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  7. #11582
    Senior Member Buzzatronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2012 Jamis Bosanova, 2014 Motobecane Fixie Record, 2001 Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    love that bike. top tube bag kills it though
    function over form though while commuting i suppose
    Yeah I'm torn about the top tube bag. Basically I keep my wallet, phone and garage door opener in it. I need ready access to both when I leave and arrive at my office/house or else I have to take my backpack off each time to open doors.

  8. #11583
    Senior Member Buzzatronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2012 Jamis Bosanova, 2014 Motobecane Fixie Record, 2001 Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroG33r View Post
    Slick ride. I don't have the cojones to ride a fixie for my commute, nor the legs to pass anybody on it on a 1.1 mile 5% climb.
    I swapped out the original 16T rear cog for an 18T for the climbing which has helped a bit but I'm still out of the saddle mashing a bunch. The worst climb is on my way home actually, 7.9% average for 0.7mi. It's a total MASH FEST going up that hill. According to my Garmin my cadence going up that hill averages just 38rpm.

  9. #11584
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Westminster, BC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur Expert Disc Compact
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic View Post
    I swapped out the original 16T rear cog for an 18T for the climbing which has helped a bit but I'm still out of the saddle mashing a bunch. The worst climb is on my way home actually, 7.9% average for 0.7mi. It's a total MASH FEST going up that hill. According to my Garmin my cadence going up that hill averages just 38rpm.
    Haha - my cadence sensor has helped immensely with my pedalling... not sure what I would've done without it! 38 rpm is rough... that's a slog though!

  10. #11585
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


  11. #11586
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Memphis TN area
    Posts
    4,194
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike but the chain is looking a tad loose there.
    2011 Felt Z85 105 | Ultegra | KMC | Selle Italia | Vuelta | Topeak
    90's-ish KHS Alite 1000 MTB Road-going utility hauler

  12. #11587
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,596
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Nice bike but the chain is looking a tad loose there.
    Picky, picky!

    I think that bike looks really cool, and the racks actually make it look more interesting! What is that rear rack you've got?

    [EDIT] Oopx, now I realize that's actually a fender back there. I was wondering how something so flimsy-looking could bear weight!

  13. #11588
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, yes the chain is a bit looser than I normally run it. I put on a new chain yesterday and am doing a bit of an experiment. I'm trying the whole "track slack" thing on the street to see if it prolongs the life of the chain. Allegedly less friction / less wear & tear. It's not so loose that there is a chance of it popping off so no danger there.

  14. #11589
    Seņor Member cali_axela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Tommaso Superleggera, BAMF Piledriver (fixed commuter), Santa Cruz Superlight
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Nice bike but the chain is looking a tad loose there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    Thanks guys, yes the chain is a bit looser than I normally run it. I put on a new chain yesterday and am doing a bit of an experiment. I'm trying the whole "track slack" thing on the street to see if it prolongs the life of the chain. Allegedly less friction / less wear & tear. It's not so loose that there is a chance of it popping off so no danger there.
    Looks perfect to me for a fixed gear bike, assuming it's 1/8". Spins better with a bit of slack like that for sure. Mine is setup similar and no issues, still on the same chain for almost a full year of all-weather commuting and several long dirty mixed terrain rides as well.

  15. #11590
    Senior Member treal512's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Marcos, TX
    My Bikes
    '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
    That's a good looking bike! How is that fender working out for you? I just bought one, but haven't gotten to use it yet.

  16. #11591
    Senior Member Sasquatch.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape, Several BMX
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I commute on minus the front bags and the trailer.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Live boldly, minimally & deliberately.

  17. #11592
    one life on two wheels cobrabyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treal512 View Post
    That's a good looking bike! How is that fender working out for you? I just bought one, but haven't gotten to use it yet.
    Thanks it does the job well I've used it for a few years now and FL gets a lot of rain so it gets used often.

    Quote Originally Posted by cali_axela View Post
    Looks perfect to me for a fixed gear bike, assuming it's 1/8". Spins better with a bit of slack like that for sure. Mine is setup similar and no issues, still on the same chain for almost a full year of all-weather commuting and several long dirty mixed terrain rides as well.
    That's good info thanks, yep 1/8" I like it so far so I'll stick with it.

  18. #11593
    Senior Member treal512's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Marcos, TX
    My Bikes
    '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    My daily commuter. Rides amazing.

  19. #11594
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my latest commuter. It's a Raleigh...it's a 3-speed, but not the one you think. Came in around 18lbs without even trying to be weight weenie.



    Retroshift.

    Pax
    Tulsa, OK
    '12 Gravity Zilla, '12 Giant Talon 29'r, '88 Jamis Quest, Redline 9.2.5 (wrecked), Steyr Clubman, Raleigh Technium, GT Hardtail, DK Signal, Eastern Shovelhead

  20. #11595
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Rockhopper (converted for commuter duty.)
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still in the transition phase from MTB to full time commuter, but she fulfills my needs. 1x9 with some newly acquired Zero Lite's and some new brake pads. She should suit well for this wet weather season. Just need to get the rack and panniers back on and we will be good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #11596
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    My Bridgestone RB-2 with 30mm cross tires and a flatbar.

  22. #11597
    Newbie Cafn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    Here's my latest commuter. It's a Raleigh...it's a 3-speed, but not the one you think. Came in around 18lbs without even trying to be weight weenie.



    Retroshift.

    That's a pretty slick setup. What else can you tell us about the drivetrain and shifter? I have a Raleigh Tripper, (also a 3-speed) which I've been considering converting to drop bars, and thought my only good option was a Sturmey-Archer bar end shifter.

  23. #11598
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Commuter
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NeilDiamondback_800.jpg
    My daily commuter, upright seating position.

  24. #11599
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    Here's my latest commuter. It's a Raleigh...it's a 3-speed, but not the one you think. Came in around 18lbs without even trying to be weight weenie.



    Retroshift.
    very clever shift mounting - you just drill a hole in the lever housing?
    I'm slow, go around

  25. #11600
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,596
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    very clever shift mounting - you just drill a hole in the lever housing?
    He didn't invent those himself; they're Retroshift. (However, that's the first time I've seen them used for an IGH)

    FYI, here's my review.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •