Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 466 of 518 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467468476516 ... LastLast
Results 11,626 to 11,650 of 12943
  1. #11626
    Old. Slow. Happy. MileHighMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    1,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    Oooh, pretty. Volagi Viaje is my N+1! (Probably not for 5+ years though).

    I wandered through your flickr stream, and I see you're running a lot of Microshift. How's that workin out? Did you put that on the Viaje, or just on your Dillinger?

    Also I saw your tire stack and recognized Vee Rubber V12, among other Vees. I was disappointed as my V12 29x1.75 basically 50% wore out after about 500 miles, mostly asphalt. I took them off to reserve them for trails only.
    The Viaje came equipped with 105 and a 9-speed XT rear mech. The latter was needed for compatibility with the 11-36t (10s) cassette. Since it's a demo/loaner, I've pretty much left it stock.

    My Black Mountain sports a microSHIFT Centos/R10 mix, and I really like it. I'll get burned at the stake for saying this, but I prefer the microSHIFT interface over the Campy levers I was previously using.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  2. #11627
    Dirty Schwinn-Lover deeth82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    My Bikes
    '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Volagi Viaje in daily rider mode:

    Beautiful bike; beautiful scenery...it would be hard not to ride with such conditions present!
    Ride what you like, how you like.

  3. #11628
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,486
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are some shots of my newest commuter bike, a Gunnar Crosshairs. I just had it built and have not ridden it to work yet, but it's ready to go. Added the rear rack and the reflective tires for commuting, and I have some SKS Raceblade fenders that I can strap on when the weather is iffy.

    The Crosshairs is replacing my Gunnar Sport, which was a nice bike but I prefer the versatility of a cross frame. I've got the Sport for sale in the market place forum here.

    I've also been commuting some on my Ritchey Breakaway Cross that I picked up used earlier this summer. I don't want to put fenders on this bike since I also use it off-road, so I only ride it on days when rain is unlikely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #11629
    Dirty Schwinn-Lover deeth82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    My Bikes
    '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Here are some shots of my newest commuter bike, a Gunnar Crosshairs. I just had it built and have not ridden it to work yet, but it's ready to go. Added the rear rack and the reflective tires for commuting, and I have some SKS Raceblade fenders that I can strap on when the weather is iffy.

    The Crosshairs is replacing my Gunnar Sport, which was a nice bike but I prefer the versatility of a cross frame. I've got the Sport for sale in the market place forum here.

    I've also been commuting some on my Ritchey Breakaway Cross that I picked up used earlier this summer. I don't want to put fenders on this bike since I also use it off-road, so I only ride it on days when rain is unlikely.
    Is that a Blackburn rack on the Gunnar? And what make/model of saddle rack is that?

    These bikes have me drooling. I think I like the Ritchey the best...something about those orange bikes, especially when they bridge that look between classic and modern.
    Ride what you like, how you like.

  5. #11630
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,486
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The rack on the Gunnar is a Planet Bike Koko. It only cost about $35 at my LBS and is very adjustable. Quite the bargain for a rack and load capacity is 55 lbs.

    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4005.html

    Regarding the Ritchey, I had been looking for a Swiss Cross for years but never found one in my size that I could afford. Saw the Breakaway Cross for sale on eBay and bought it for a bargain price. It really suits my needs better than a Swiss Cross because it has mounts for fenders and racks, plus I really like the orange color as well.

  6. #11631
    Dirty Schwinn-Lover deeth82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    My Bikes
    '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    The rack on the Gunnar is a Planet Bike Koko. It only cost about $35 at my LBS and is very adjustable. Quite the bargain for a rack and load capacity is 55 lbs.

    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4005.html

    Regarding the Ritchey, I had been looking for a Swiss Cross for years but never found one in my size that I could afford. Saw the Breakaway Cross for sale on eBay and bought it for a bargain price. It really suits my needs better than a Swiss Cross because it has mounts for fenders and racks, plus I really like the orange color as well.
    Oh wow! I have the Koko on my Amazon wish list, but never actually saw one "in the wild". Looks great! I may end up adding it to my already-ridiculous collection. Good catch on the Breakaway!
    Ride what you like, how you like.

  7. #11632
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimmy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Stone View Post
    A Nashbar Mk. III (Ishiwata Steel!) frame I found and and then cobbled together as an about town bike.
    Zach,
    I commute on a very similar bike this size (Nishiki). The frame seems to be very flexible and could benefit from a second top tube. Do you have any issues with shimmy? I once attached a seat-post mounted rack with 10 lbs on it. This caused a shimmy so horrible that I never even try to put anything in the back anymore...

    photo.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #11633
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    98011
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #11634
    Senior Member blakcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S3L, Masi Adventure Bike (Gravel Grinder)
    Posts
    539
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update of my daily three season commuter.

    FSA Metropolis bars, Paul Thumbies with Dura Ace bar ends, porteur rack with Wald basket, Salsa Delgado rims on LX hubs and dynamo up front, Edulux front light, Dutch frame lock and kickstand.



  10. #11635
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    My Bikes
    70s Bottecchia road bike w/Campy 8 speed ti record, Nashbar Mk III dressed up as a commuter
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=fun29er;16224994]Zach,
    I commute on a very similar bike this size (Nishiki). The frame seems to be very flexible and could benefit from a second top tube. Do you have any issues with shimmy? I once attached a seat-post mounted rack with 10 lbs on it. This caused a shimmy so horrible that I never even try to put anything in the back anymore...

    photo.jpg
    Never had that problem? But I also never really get rolling on it. But even the one time it has crested, say 25mph, descending a gravel pass in Nelson County it felt pretty rock solid even with 15lbs (of beer) in the seat bag. I use a bag man to support the bag from the saddle, not the post, and the flex of ths steel rack gives the bag abit of suspension.

    More imporantly, what is/where did you get that frame bag and can it take a laptop? been looking for one just like that!

  11. #11636
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeth82 View Post
    Oh wow! I have the Koko on my Amazon wish list, but never actually saw one "in the wild". Looks great! I may end up adding it to my already-ridiculous collection. Good catch on the Breakaway!
    I just looked on amazon and bought one - that's a NICE rack for great price! Thanks guys!!
    I'm slow, go around

  12. #11637
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Zach_Stone;16226783]
    Quote Originally Posted by fun29er View Post
    Zach,
    Never had that problem? But I also never really get rolling on it. But even the one time it has crested, say 25mph, descending a gravel pass in Nelson County it felt pretty rock solid even with 15lbs (of beer) in the seat bag. I use a bag man to support the bag from the saddle, not the post, and the flex of ths steel rack gives the bag abit of suspension.

    More imporantly, what is/where did you get that frame bag and can it take a laptop? been looking for one just like that!
    I'm thinking my issue had to do with the weird weight distribution created by the post-mounted rack. It's good to know that a seat bag should work fine.

    The beauty of riding a 27" frame is being able to just hang an actual laptop bag from the top tube! I think this old bag is from the late 90's. It has a metal lining at the top as part of the original design. I removed the handle and riveted (!) the four Velcros to it. Any reasonably thin laptop bag can be attached this way, as long as the top is held up by more than just fabric. If I were using a modern laptop bag without the metal lining, I would probably use a strip of metal from a can of pop and rivet/bolt it to the Velcros from the inside.

    IMG_0528.jpg
    Last edited by fun29er; 11-07-13 at 09:29 AM.

  13. #11638
    Senior Member Sasquatch.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape, Several BMX
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has become my new favorite commuter/utility do everything bike.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Live boldly, minimally & deliberately.

  14. #11639
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they'd switched the Safari to discs... wow.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  15. #11640
    Fork and spoon operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hopkins, Minnesota
    My Bikes
    2013 Surly Crosscheck, 2003 Trek 7200, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 199x Schwinn police bike
    Posts
    363
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's beautiful! What year is that? Is that black leather bar tape?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch. View Post
    This has become my new favorite commuter/utility do everything bike.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  16. #11641
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact Sport
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't done any actual commuting on it but I'm sure it'll be a painful learning experience.

    2013 Specialized Allez Compact Sport, 2011 Trek Madone 4.5, 2008 Intense 5.5 EVP, 2006 Trek 8500

  17. #11642
    Senior Member Sasquatch.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape, Several BMX
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    I thought they'd switched the Safari to discs... wow.
    It comes disc ready, It has disc hubs and the frame and forks have mounts. I think thy went with v-brakes to help keep cost down. Is that wow a good wow or a bad wow?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyTheDog View Post
    Wow, that's beautiful! What year is that? Is that black leather bar tape?
    Thanks, It's a 2013 the bar tape is cheap pleather type material.
    Live boldly, minimally & deliberately.

  18. #11643
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,755
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch. View Post
    It comes disc ready, It has disc hubs and the frame and forks have mounts. I think thy went with v-brakes to help keep cost down. Is that wow a good wow or a bad wow?
    good wow.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: II openSUSE: II

  19. #11644
    Member codyhmrck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Shelby, North Carolina
    My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Super Le Tour ll
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sunrisebikecommute.jpg
    This is over the major highway that runs through my town at sunrise.

  20. #11645
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,418
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    W plus 1 for the wet slush and snow... added the fenders and swapped the thumbies for some LX STI's this evening. Things had warmed a little by the time I was on my way back and things were wet and slushy and those fenders were most appreciated.

    Bike is late 80's BRC Ricochet hybrid in pretty much new shape... warrants a better picture now.

    2013BRC1.jpg

  21. #11646
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,486
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    I just looked on amazon and bought one - that's a NICE rack for great price! Thanks guys!!
    Planet Bike is the bomb! I've had nothing but good products from them, with great prices and service. I've got 2 PB Superflashes, 3 sets of Cascadia fenders, the KOKO rack and probably other items I am forgetting. They also sell a lot of useful small parts, like tail-light mounts that fit rear racks perfectly.

  22. #11647
    Dirty Schwinn-Lover deeth82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    My Bikes
    '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Planet Bike is the bomb! I've had nothing but good products from them, with great prices and service. I've got 2 PB Superflashes, 3 sets of Cascadia fenders, the KOKO rack and probably other items I am forgetting. They also sell a lot of useful small parts, like tail-light mounts that fit rear racks perfectly.
    +1 on PB's awesomeness...on top of Cascadia fenders, I've gotten saddles (A.R.S. 5020 & 5022) and an awesome (though cumbersome) chain lock that does the trick (and also doubles as costume flair when dressing as Ghost Rider).
    Ride what you like, how you like.

  23. #11648
    Senior Member arsprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Basso Coral, Cannondale H400, Giant ATX 760
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=fun29er;16226887]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Stone View Post
    The beauty of riding a 27" frame is being able to just hang an actual laptop bag from the top tube!

    IMG_0528.jpg
    That's brilliant! I wish my frame was big enough to do the same (I'm short and stubby). Still looking for better way to carry my laptop other than in saddlebags
    I'm slow, go around

  24. #11649
    Senior Member Sasquatch.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape, Several BMX
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a better pic of mine.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Live boldly, minimally & deliberately.

  25. #11650
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Superlight (29er), Specialized Secteur Elite, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 21 years have retried my Trek 700, here is the new commuter rig. It will also do double duty for some light dirt/gravel and touring rides:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •