Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 470 of 542 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480520 ... LastLast
Results 11,726 to 11,750 of 13531
  1. #11726
    Senior Member azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the BRC Sixty Fiver!

  2. #11727
    Recreational Member SpotOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    OKC, OK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock 2010
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike was meant for commuter riding and/or just a get-around-bike. It was bought initially for $15 with front/rear lights on it, as well as a choice of a comfort seat and a regular (the one pictured). Let me put it nicely; I do not like the comfort seat, so I changed to the normal one... However, the rear inner tube did not hold air properly, so bought a new inner tube ($6). Everything seemed to work fine until recently, where at a stop light the rear tube bursted out from the rear tire and exploded, making me have to walk an hour all the way to where I was going. I decided to buy a completely new rear tire as well as a new inner tube ($20 + $6), since the rear tire was very old with many cracks. Taking the tire off the rim was quite a challenge with only 2 plastic tire levers and one person working it (a very tight rim/tire ratio). The super-cheap bicycle ended up totaling right under $50, but the process of fixing it myself made the entire journey enjoyable.

    Good single speed / fixed gear on a budget? http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/952592-good-single-speed-budget-recommendations-welcome.html

  3. #11728
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    3,016
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work spotty, and I like the color too. And yes, bikes are so much cheaper than cars it's not even funny; especially used bikes, there are so many deals out there!

  4. #11729
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standalone View Post
    Interesting, what frame is that? Is it a folder? Looks good!
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  5. #11730
    Ride More. Feel Better.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Digging the wood rack-platform. Is it DIY?

    M.
    The add-on to the rack is a "cargo cradle." I design and make these myself and sell them on eBay and Etsy. You can see some pics of these cargo cradles on BikeCultureRising.com or do a search for "cargo cradle" on eBay or Etsy.com.

  6. #11731
    babylon by bike Standalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Haven, CT, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Interesting, what frame is that? Is it a folder? Looks good!
    Thanks. It's a Dahon Espresso, one that has been through several upgrades and iterations. It now has nothing original on it except for the frame, fork, and maybe the seatpost clamp. (wow, I just realized that!) Even the headset has been replaced, but all over time and all I suppose as needed.

    Dahon's Espresso and Matrix both use this frame, and I think so does the Jack.

    I'm 6'4", so the Dahon Curve D3 that I originally rode around was just never big enough. This one isn't quite large enough, either, though!

    I think that I have seen Dahon frames like this on sale, bare frame. They make a good platform, are reasonably light, and fold well.
    Last edited by Standalone; 12-23-13 at 05:46 AM.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley

  7. #11732
    Senior Member AusTexMurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Love the BRC Sixty Fiver!
    +1
    The BRC is clean, simple, classic. Spry winter bicycle, too, I am sure.
    Nice ride, as are all of your bikes, Sixty Fiver.

  8. #11733
    Senior Member djyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Yuba City, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post
    The bike was meant for commuter riding and/or just a get-around-bike. It was bought initially for $15 with front/rear lights on it, as well as a choice of a comfort seat and a regular (the one pictured). Let me put it nicely; I do not like the comfort seat, so I changed to the normal one... However, the rear inner tube did not hold air properly, so bought a new inner tube ($6). Everything seemed to work fine until recently, where at a stop light the rear tube bursted out from the rear tire and exploded, making me have to walk an hour all the way to where I was going. I decided to buy a completely new rear tire as well as a new inner tube ($20 + $6), since the rear tire was very old with many cracks. Taking the tire off the rim was quite a challenge with only 2 plastic tire levers and one person working it (a very tight rim/tire ratio). The super-cheap bicycle ended up totaling right under $50, but the process of fixing it myself made the entire journey enjoyable.


    Nice job! Amazing how a little work can make it all worth while. Something as simple as a bike can make a guy so happy.

  9. #11734
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    22,896
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeCultureGuy View Post
    The add-on to the rack is a "cargo cradle." I design and make these myself and sell them on eBay and Etsy. You can see some pics of these cargo cradles on BikeCultureRising.com or do a search for "cargo cradle" on eBay or Etsy.com.
    Fantastic blog!
    I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter. --Blaise Pascal

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  10. #11735
    Senior Member AusTexMurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeCultureGuy View Post
    Here's my ride in sunny South Florida in December

    Attachment 355673
    http://bikeculturerising.com

    Great site.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy AllTheDays.

  11. #11736
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,733
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTexMurf View Post
    +1
    The BRC is clean, simple, classic. Spry winter bicycle, too, I am sure.
    Nice ride, as are all of your bikes, Sixty Fiver.
    It was $50.00 well spent... it looked like a garage queen and still had fuzzy tyres which let me know it could run 38's and could probably handle 45's.

    The upgrades came from my stash and it is a very spry bicycle that is very pleasing to ride... it has nicely balanced steering and the 700c wheels and tyres are good on warmer slushier days and with the front studded tyre it handles the packed snow and ice really well.

  12. #11737
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine. All City Nature Boy, fixed 36x16 for the winter and the hills, and I just cruise slowly in the summer. Studded winter tires, 2mmx1.5mmx2mm spokes, Dyad rims.IMG_0080.jpg

  13. #11738
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standalone View Post
    Thanks. It's a Dahon Espresso, one that has been through several upgrades and iterations. It now has nothing original on it except for the frame, fork, and maybe the seatpost clamp. (wow, I just realized that!) Even the headset has been replaced, but all over time and all I suppose as needed.

    Dahon's Espresso and Matrix both use this frame, and I think so does the Jack.

    I'm 6'4", so the Dahon Curve D3 that I originally rode around was just never big enough. This one isn't quite large enough, either, though!

    I think that I have seen Dahon frames like this on sale, bare frame. They make a good platform, are reasonably light, and fold well.

    Thanks for the info! Someday I'll end up adding a folder to my fleet, and I like the looks of this one. I'd also like to try out a small wheeled folder, but well, you know, N+1!
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  14. #11739
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My everyday commuter bike in LA, rain or dry. 1989 Schwinn Prologue 2x7 speed that originally came with full Shimano 600 (purchased for $150).

    I've since upgraded some parts very cheaply (mostly used), including:

    A ton of black and grey honda touch up paint
    Ultegra 6600 compact crankset and brake calipers
    105 5700 rear derailleur
    Tektro brake levers (awesome stuff)
    Shimano RS30 wheelset
    MTB wide range cassette 12-28 (lots of hills in the downtown LA area)
    Generic stem and seatpost
    M520 double sided spd pedals




    The night I bought it:
    Last edited by link0; 12-25-13 at 11:34 AM.

  15. #11740
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    3,016
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by link0 View Post
    My everyday commuter bike in LA, rain or dry. 1989 Schwinn Prologue 2x7 speed that originally came with full Shimano 600 (purchased for $150).

    I've since upgraded some parts very cheaply (mostly used), including:

    Ultegra 6600 compact crankset and brake calipers
    105 5700 rear derailleur
    Tektro brake levers (awesome stuff)
    Shimano RS30 wheelset
    MTB wide range cassette 12-28 (lots of bill hills in the downtown LA area)
    Generic stem and seatpost
    M520 double sided spd pedals
    That is one hot Schwinn! Funny, the toptube decals are worn off, I thought the model was "Cholo" (which you'll probably appreciate since you're in LA). I see you've already gotten some Tektro levers, but if you want to move your shifters up front, you might consider a pair of Retroshift CX2 for $129. Likely the same (rebranded, modified) brake levers, plus shifter bosses.

  16. #11741
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    That is one hot Schwinn! Funny, the toptube decals are worn off, I thought the model was "Cholo" (which you'll probably appreciate since you're in LA). I see you've already gotten some Tektro levers, but if you want to move your shifters up front, you might consider a pair of Retroshift CX2 for $129. Likely the same (rebranded, modified) brake levers, plus shifter bosses.
    Hahaha it does look like "Cholo". I would love to get some Retroshift shifters, as I think they look awesome. However, I think they are overpriced if bought new (I've scored perfect condition 105 5700 brifters for under $100 on eBay). I've actually searched for them a few times on eBay in the hopes of scoring some used. No such luck
    Last edited by link0; 12-24-13 at 05:20 PM.

  17. #11742
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,556
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    schwinn looks great. you helped it out a ton. nice!
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  18. #11743
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    3,016
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by link0 View Post
    Hahaha it does look like "Cholo". I would love to get some Retroshift shifters, as I think they look awesome. However, I think they are overpriced if bought new (I've scored perfect condition 105 5700 brifters for under $100 on eBay). I've actually searched for them a few times on eBay in the hopes of scoring some used. No such luck
    Yah I think they are too new to be in the used market much yet. Maybe in another year or two.

    Oh hey, I didn't see that before pic before, did you add that later? You certainly did clean it up well! Personally my 250-lb self would have stuck with the 36H mavics (if true). And the Dia Compe on the fork -- was that a decal you scraped off?
    Last edited by RubeRad; 12-25-13 at 07:50 AM.

  19. #11744
    Senior Member link0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    Yah I think they are too new to be in the used market much yet. Maybe in another year or two.

    Oh hey, I didn't see that before pic before, did you add that later? You certainly did clean it up well! Personally my 250-lb self would have stuck with the 36H mavics (if true). And the Dia Compe on the fork -- was that a decal you scraped off?
    Thanks! Yea, I added/edited that 2nd picture later. I did remove the Dia Compe decal after I replaced the Dia Compe calipers with the 6600 calipers. The Mavic Ma2s were true and smooth, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in old wheels, and they were quite heavy.

  20. #11745
    Boise Biker Jason Abbott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale CAADX
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love biking in fresh snow. Now that my commute takes me down eight miles of roadside bike lanes, I haven't been doing it. But I put together some vignettes from the past when I had no cars to contend with: http://www.trailimage.com/tag/bicycle (about 35 photos). Do it if you can!

  21. #11746
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my all season commuter bike. Cheap and very reliable.

    DSC03568.jpg

  22. #11747
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John78 View Post
    Cheap and very reliable.
    That's the best combination.

  23. #11748
    Senior Member Big Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kansas City
    My Bikes
    Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently added a Brooks B17 seat, new Michelin City tires after getting a flat on the stock Bontragers, and a White Industries ENO freewheel. I love riding this bike.

    Soho_S_Brooks_small.jpg

  24. #11749
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by link0 View Post
    Hahaha it does look like "Cholo". I would love to get some Retroshift shifters, as I think they look awesome. However, I think they are overpriced if bought new (I've scored perfect condition 105 5700 brifters for under $100 on eBay). I've actually searched for them a few times on eBay in the hopes of scoring some used. No such luck
    The Retroshift are probably a bit spendy for what they are, but they are the only ones doing what they're doing. I plopped down on a set of CX-1's for my drop bar 3-speed and love them. Was worth spending a bit extra to get it just how I wanted it.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK
    '12 Gravity Zilla, '12 Giant Talon 29'r, '88 Jamis Quest, Redline 9.2.5 (wrecked), Steyr Clubman, Raleigh Technium, GT Hardtail, DK Signal, Eastern Shovelhead

  25. #11750
    Senior Member mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    My Bikes
    Sleeper
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted mine before, but I've put on a new seat and a compact crank since, so here's an updated picture of my one and only.

    Brilliant!
    http://www.gofundme.com/sf2la2015

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •