Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-09, 10:38 AM   #1
PotatoSlayer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PotatoSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I ready to do this again?

Just got back from my first ride in a while. Due to weather, hard hours at work, among other reasons I haven't been on the bike for about 5 weeks. I think I made one or two rides in but I think it may have been sooner than that..

So today I got up early, not planning on commuting in as I'm out of shape, but just to get on the bike again and leisurely ride around. I rode for an hour, at a moderate to leisurely pace, not pushing myself too hard.

Of course, 1/4 mile from home I got into it with a motorist.. well, in the past I would blow a fuse but I made it a point not to confront these idiots.

I'm at an intersection, two lanes. Left lane = Left turn only, right lane = Right turn or straight. I am about six inches to the left of the curb, going straight in the right lane. pickup truck turning right tries to go around me then turn right. Almost hits me, lays on his horn.

He yells out "If you ride in the road you're a car and you need to follow the rules!"

All I did was reply "I was going straight in the right lane." He starts yelling a bunch of obscenities, and I figure if this continued he'd start foaming at the mouth.

I just put my hand up, not wanting to hear anymore, and started pedaling again.

I had a number of run-ins last summer, for various reasons. Now I'm asking myself if I really want to put up with the stupidity around here. I've bike-commuted in other cities before... never having problems like I've had here on the outskirts of Cincinnati.
PotatoSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 03:22 PM   #2
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The dude is an a**hat. You merely pointed out what you were doing was legal and he takes it as an insult. Just smile and wave, smile and wave...

One question though: was your bike position centerish in the lane, but more towards the right or the left? (just kidding)
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 03:36 PM   #3
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoSlayer View Post
I'm at an intersection, two lanes. Left lane = Left turn only, right lane = Right turn or straight. I am about six inches to the left of the curb, going straight in the right lane. pickup truck turning right tries to go around me then turn right. Almost hits me, lays on his horn.

He yells out "If you ride in the road you're a car and you need to follow the rules!"

All I did was reply "I was going straight in the right lane." He starts yelling a bunch of obscenities, and I figure if this continued he'd start foaming at the mouth.
The truck should not have turn like that with you in the way, even if you were making the right turn, so shame on him, but....

You could have done yourself a big favor by taking the lane there and making your intentions clear. Actually, in situations like that I tend to ride in the left part of the straight/right-turn lane.
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 04:40 PM   #4
Revuhlution
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are you? You make it sound as if this type of stuff is a regular occurence.

I love to just wave, smile, and laugh. It does me no good to get into it with someone, but I can laugh at him (or her)...Speaking of which..has anyone had major run ins with a woman? I don't think I ever have, except for some words in passing.

*edit* Hell yes, you're ready. Sounds like you're less likely to get into with others, so you're taking care of yourself. Are you going to let the ignorant actions of others effect how you live? If its dangerous, thats one thing...if its verbal BS, keep riding.

Last edited by Revuhlution; 02-26-09 at 04:43 PM.
Revuhlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 10:37 PM   #5
daxr
Senior Member
 
daxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: K.F., Orygun
Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
The truck should not have turn like that with you in the way, even if you were making the right turn, so shame on him, but....

You could have done yourself a big favor by taking the lane there and making your intentions clear. Actually, in situations like that I tend to ride in the left part of the straight/right-turn lane.
I agree. Its always hard to say, not being there, but if I am at a light like that I am either in the middle of the lane so the cars have no doubt about where I'm going, or left of center so a right-turner can go by safely. The truck was in the wrong, but if you are right of center you let him take the lane, which is rightly yours if you are going straight.

Thats what I do where I live (Oregon) knowing that its understood by most drivers and unlikely to cause problems. Other areas are probably different (and I'd probably ride in a place for awhile before I decided what was best).
daxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 11:20 PM   #6
PotatoSlayer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
PotatoSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In hindsight I realized I didn't really take the lane like I normally do. I was just cruising and not really doing a full blown ride.

I can't say stuff like this happens all the time around here, but I have had more grief cycling in this area than any other area I've lived in. Usually it's stupidity shouted out a car window in passing or occasionally someone hurls a projectile at my bike.. last time it was a 3/4 rull bottle of gatorade.
PotatoSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 07:39 PM   #7
daxr
Senior Member
 
daxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: K.F., Orygun
Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoSlayer View Post
In hindsight I realized I didn't really take the lane like I normally do. I was just cruising and not really doing a full blown ride.

I can't say stuff like this happens all the time around here, but I have had more grief cycling in this area than any other area I've lived in. Usually it's stupidity shouted out a car window in passing or occasionally someone hurls a projectile at my bike.. last time it was a 3/4 rull bottle of gatorade.
That's too bad about the motorists where you're at...I wondered if I'd have problems here when I started commuting, but was pleasantly surprised. Except for getting yelled at once everyone has been just fine. I think last summer it was the gas prices - everyone was in the same boat, there were lots of new cyclists on the road and it was obvious why. Perhaps if the economy tanks even farther there will be more biking-by-necessity, and better manners.
daxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 09:10 PM   #8
Brian T.
Senior Member
 
Brian T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '08 Schwinn Super Sport "Betty, '09 Trek 1.2 "Veronica"
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey P.S. I know what you mean about the traffic around here. Commuted most of the year last year till it got too cold( I know, fair weathered). I had a fair share of ignorant drivers,but a few decent ones. The one thing that I noticed around here is that if you are assertive and ride like you're supposed to be there, most people leave you alone. Just keep an eye out and expect people to to stupid things, that way you won't be too surprised.

I can't wait till the weather breaks and I can get "back in the saddle again."
Brian T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.