Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member thehum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MA/CT roads icy?

    I'm planning on making a three-day trip from Boston to NY next week since I have spring break. I know this is more a touring question but I figured I'd ask here since commuters ride all the time. I'm planning on following this route:

    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-York-City1537

    However, I'm concerned about ice since I'd be traveling in rural areas for most of the way-in fact, a quick google news search turns up several articles citing icy road conditions a few weeks ago all over ct. If that's still the case i'll probably postpone this trip. If anyone has commuted on any of these roads recently and is aware of their current status any input or suggestions for alternative routes would be appreciated-I'm still debating whether to get studded tires or not. Right now i'm running schwalbe marathon plus 26x1.75s, which I could deflate if I run into any ice, and I do have some 2.1 knobbies.
    Last edited by thehum; 02-28-09 at 11:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is hard to say at this time, most roads are clear and dry here in CT atm, but expecting a big storm to move up the coast later Sunday into monday with 5" to 2' expected along the coast

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are on regular passenger roads, ice should not be a problem, unless you're in the midst of a storm.

  4. #4
    meandering nomad
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Newport,Rhode Island
    My Bikes
    eleven bikes no car
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of those roads in the border area of RI Ct and MA are in a hilly terrain I would worry about the width of the travel lane and sandy shoulders. that and a lot of "hillbilly" mentality when it comes to bikes. I would say that road conditions would be way less than ideal and to wait for spring for this trip.
    Safety Nanny Checklist
    1.Two headlights major brand 100+ Lumens plus helmet light2.Two tail-lights at minimum but really you need more3.Mirrors on helmet, handlebar and back of glove.4. Reflective vest and tape on every surface5.Disc and caliper brakes just in case6.Horn, bell and train whistle7.Chicken Little’s Phone# 8.Wear a helmet at all times (you might fall out of bed)Because it's scary out there!

  5. #5
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intending to do a little bike tour during that week as well starting from Boston and heading down through South Eastern MA and the Cape. But the weather is not looking cooperative.

    We're expecting a good dose of snow today and tomorrow and then the weather doesn't look too promising for a serious melt down before a week from now. (Are you on break from BU?, which starts on March
    7th?)

    What you'll more than likely encounter for conditions is narrowed roads due to snow on sides, sandy, salty roads, wet roads during the sunny part of the day with puddles and hard to spot potholes (filled with water). Early in the morning you can expect ice, some black ice and there is some sleeting/snow predicted for that week.

    I just ordered a Schwalbe Marathon Winter tire (studded) 26x1.5 from BikeTiresDirect to replace a rear studded Nokian and have a Nokian studded 1.9 on the front. I was planning on using my road bike for the tour but may go with my commuter if the weather continues to be wintry.

    A pair of Schwalbe Marathon winters will run you about 150.00 with tax and shipping. For $209.00 you could get a round trip flight to Vegas and ride Red Rock and the surrounding areas and stay in a cheap hotel for the week or camp out and ride in the warmth and sun- weather is predicted to be 65-75 and sunny for the next 2 weeks.

  6. #6
    What, me hurry? Boston Commuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, 1987 Peugeot Iseran mixte
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of 9 pm Sunday the 1st, we're expecting a foot of snow in Boston before morning. All the schools are declaring snow days for Monday. It's expected to remain at or below freezing for the rest of the week. I'll be riding my bike with the studded tires this week for commuting.

    Is your tour this week (beginning March 1) or the following week?

  7. #7
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Commuter View Post
    As of 9 pm Sunday the 1st, we're expecting a foot of snow in Boston before morning.
    That's highly exaggerated, but still, there's snow on the ground -- about 4-5 inches and more coming. If you're looking to ride on dry roads, early this week doesn't look good.
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  8. #8
    What, me hurry? Boston Commuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, 1987 Peugeot Iseran mixte
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil brown bat View Post
    That's highly exaggerated, but still, there's snow on the ground -- about 4-5 inches and more coming. If you're looking to ride on dry roads, early this week doesn't look good.
    That was the forecast last night. Looking out the window this morning, it does seem to have been a bit exaggerated. On the other hand, all the schools and universities have declared snow days today. As of 9 AM the main roads are not cleared and it's still snowing.

    I guess the groundhog really did see his shadow this year.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 am, snow's over in Boston.
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  10. #10
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow Day for me!!!

    And my Marathon Winter Tire arrived- no snow day for UPS, I guess.

    And what do you mean "highly exaggerated"? I think the reports said we could get as much as or up to a foot- not that we would definitely get a foot of snow. We got pretty much exactly what the weather reports I heard and read predicted- 8"-12". We got about 9 in Newton. I didn't have to ride in today so I have no idea how much Boston got- I would guess a little less: 8"? I'm sure there are some areas that got a full foot of snow but very hard to predict what the exact totals will be on a coastal Nor'easter like this one.

    But for your bike trip, unless there is some really warm weather the roads are going to be kind of crappy for touring. The snow storm travelled in exactly the same line you intend to take to NYC. My trip Cape bound may not be that much better but there might be a bit less snow and somewhat warmer temps.

  11. #11
    What, me hurry? Boston Commuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, 1987 Peugeot Iseran mixte
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil brown bat View Post
    10 am, snow's over in Boston.
    Bat, I gather you live in "Boston, sort of" -- at least that's what is says below your name. Where is that, and what is the weather like there?

    In the interest of keeping the OP accurately informed: here in Actual Boston (Jamaica Plain neighborhood thereof), it's still snowing lightly but steadily at 2 pm, and we did have about a foot of snow on the ground this morning.

  12. #12
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Commuter View Post
    Bat, I gather you live in "Boston, sort of" -- at least that's what is says below your name. Where is that, and what is the weather like there?
    I wrote that from my office across from Boston Common. As I wrote, the snow was over with by 10 am. It''s cloudy now. Ca suffit?
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  13. #13
    Senior Member thehum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    I'm intending to do a little bike tour during that week as well starting from Boston and heading down through South Eastern MA and the Cape. But the weather is not looking cooperative.

    We're expecting a good dose of snow today and tomorrow and then the weather doesn't look too promising for a serious melt down before a week from now. (Are you on break from BU?, which starts on March
    7th?)

    What you'll more than likely encounter for conditions is narrowed roads due to snow on sides, sandy, salty roads, wet roads during the sunny part of the day with puddles and hard to spot potholes (filled with water). Early in the morning you can expect ice, some black ice and there is some sleeting/snow predicted for that week.

    I just ordered a Schwalbe Marathon Winter tire (studded) 26x1.5 from BikeTiresDirect to replace a rear studded Nokian and have a Nokian studded 1.9 on the front. I was planning on using my road bike for the tour but may go with my commuter if the weather continues to be wintry.

    A pair of Schwalbe Marathon winters will run you about 150.00 with tax and shipping. For $209.00 you could get a round trip flight to Vegas and ride Red Rock and the surrounding areas and stay in a cheap hotel for the week or camp out and ride in the warmth and sun- weather is predicted to be 65-75 and sunny for the next 2 weeks.
    yeah, i'll be on bu spring break starts this weekend.

    boston got about 4-5 inches. I just rode into work (from bu to cambridge) and stuck to highly salted roads. not too bad.

    BU shut down school for the day so comm ave was eerily empty this morning. It was beautiful. Just a few peds, the T, and me.

    It doesn't look like i'll be making this trip after all-at least not this weekend. The weather isn't looking too great this week. If I had marathon winters I would definately go but but i really can't afford to spend $150 for one trip on top of the SMP's I just got.

    I appreciate all the replies, so thanks everyone.
    Last edited by thehum; 03-02-09 at 02:57 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member thehum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm so this weekend temps are supposed to reach mid-high 50s on saturday and sunday across MA and CT. I'm considering just going with what I have (non-studded SMPs) and expecting lots of wet salty roads with minimal ice. Of course i'd be assuming after monday's snowfall (and tonights shower/flurries) all the roads I'll be traveling on will be plowed and salted (or at least mostly melted. The warm weather is very tempting, so unless someone has reports of nasty conditions of the smaller routes, I think i might just make this trip.

    buzzman i'm assuming you'll be running marathon winters on your trip to the cape. are you still intending on making that trip?

  15. #15
    Senior Member rugerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thehum-
    Glad to hear you'll be making the trip after all.
    I'm in the New Haven area. I was actually in Boston last Sunday/Monday for the snow. Not too bad as storms go.

    Here in the New Haven area things have been clear and dry for a day or two. Today's sunshine and warmer temps got rid of everything that was left. I think you'd do fine on the roads around here.
    MOLON LABE

  16. #16
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehum View Post
    hmm so this weekend temps are supposed to reach mid-high 50s on saturday and sunday across MA and CT. I'm considering just going with what I have (non-studded SMPs) and expecting lots of wet salty roads with minimal ice. Of course i'd be assuming after monday's snowfall (and tonights shower/flurries) all the roads I'll be traveling on will be plowed and salted (or at least mostly melted. The warm weather is very tempting, so unless someone has reports of nasty conditions of the smaller routes, I think i might just make this trip.

    buzzman i'm assuming you'll be running marathon winters on your trip to the cape. are you still intending on making that trip?
    I've decided to go with some cyclo-cross tires I put on my road bike to do a dirt road classic ride (D2H2) last summer. My marathon winter tire didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's listed as a 1.75 but had the same width as the 1.9 and was bit of a jam fit in my chain stays.

    I'm hoping the weather works out for us.

  17. #17
    Senior Member thehum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    I've decided to go with some cyclo-cross tires I put on my road bike to do a dirt road classic ride (D2H2) last summer. My marathon winter tire didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's listed as a 1.75 but had the same width as the 1.9 and was bit of a jam fit in my chain stays.

    I'm hoping the weather works out for us.
    heh i just saw your post about the winters not fitting. I'll be leaving saturday morning and will be updating my status live though twitter using my cellphone, which will be posted at bubikes.org, so feel free to follow when I start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •