Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-09, 12:14 PM   #1
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best Hybrid bike for around 400?

Hi guys, i'm brand new to this forum so I hope I get more responses than I did on yahoo answer.

I currently have a mountain bike which I've had for several years since school and it hasn't been ridden for about 5 years. It has a heavy frame and by now the gears, chain, tyres, brakes etc will all be in serious need of an expensive service. I am looking to replace it with a Hybrid bike which is faster and lighter, with no suspension. I am interested in some fairly short road trips, commuting and keeping fit. I won't be taking it off road. Some people suggested getting road tyres for the mountain bike but I think it isn't in good shape and it may be too small a frame by now. I'm inside leg 34" so I presume frame should be 20-22"?

Anyway I've found some good bikes but I would like to know what is the best bike I can buy for around 400? I am very interested in the Specialized sirrus elite 2008 and the sport 2009. Also the trek 7.3 Fx 2009 looks great but slightly pricey. Let me know if there are any i've missed out, and tell me what your suggestion is and why.

Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008
Specialized Sirrus Sport 2009
Pinnacle Borealis 3.0
Pinnacle Stratus 3.0 2009
Giant FCR 2 2008.5
Giant FCR 4 2009
Trek 7.2 FX 2009
Trek 7.3 FX 2009
Trek SOHO 2009
Gary Fisher Wingra 2009
Scott Sub 20 2008

I would really appreciate any help, ideas or suggestions because I want to buy this bike as soon as possible. Thanks so much for your time.

Daniel P
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:18 PM   #2
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 2008 Sirrus will have better componentry than the 2009, probably for less money.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:04 PM   #3
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specialized and Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
The 2008 Sirrus will have better componentry than the 2009, probably for less money.
Thankyou so much for your reply. I've looked into it and would agree the 08 elite is better than the 09 sport. I don't see a massive difference in price but both are in budget. The 2009 elite is also available - but is over budget at 530. Would it be worth the extra 130? What do you think of the Trek bikes in comparison to Specialized? Thanks again!
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 07:36 PM   #4
Anthony87
Commuter
 
Anthony87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc, 2009 Trek 7.3FX
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trek or Specialized Bicycles are both great. 400 pounds is $800 and that will get you a quality bicycle that will last you for a while. Just be sure and keep it locked up well. I'm considering a Trek 7.3fx myself because it has the best parts for the price. I like drop handle bars but they have "steal me" all over'em. Hey I assume you are from the UK. Go M.U.F.C!!!!
Anthony87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 09:03 PM   #5
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trek 7.3 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
Trek or Specialized Bicycles are both great. 400 pounds is $800 and that will get you a quality bicycle that will last you for a while. Just be sure and keep it locked up well. I'm considering a Trek 7.3fx myself because it has the best parts for the price. I like drop handle bars but they have "steal me" all over'em. Hey I assume you are from the UK. Go M.U.F.C!!!!
Thankyou so much for your advice. Can I just ask you a couple more questions so I can clarify this in my head. Would I be best looking for a Trek 7.3 fx 2008 which I could get for about 350 or should I stick with the 2009 at 420? Also what if I could get a Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008 for around 400?

Thanks a lot!
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 09:23 PM   #6
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I just add to that - I've noticed that I could probably get a Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007 for a similar price. So basically what would you suggest:

Trek 7.3 fx 2008?
Trek 7.3 fx 2009?
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008?
Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007?

Cheers,
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 11:42 PM   #7
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando
 
Sirrus Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
Posts: 2,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcpaterson View Post
Can I just add to that - I've noticed that I could probably get a Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007 for a similar price. So basically what would you suggest:

Trek 7.3 fx 2008?
Trek 7.3 fx 2009?
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008?
Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007?

Cheers,
Daniel
My vote is for the Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007. I have the base level of '07 and I like the frame better than the two later models.
Sirrus Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:41 AM   #8
mrbrown
Senior Member
 
mrbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am riding a Scott Sub 20 (07) right now. Love it very much. I did kinda change some things, most notably the cassette to a 9-speed Ultegra. But the bike, even stock, rides very well. It is very nimble in traffic (for a full-sized bike, though not as nimble as my foldies) and has a forward riding position which I like (lets me speed a little). The included slicks are ok, though down the line, more puncture resistant tires like Panaracers will be better.

I ride the 26-inch wheels model, though I am told the 700C one is better if one likes go to a little faster.
mrbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:55 PM   #9
marcoocram
some call me fred
 
marcoocram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Corrales, NM
Bikes: Panasonic DX 1000
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pounds of what? Wow, I bet that was not funny.
marcoocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 09:32 AM   #10
delman
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
Trek or Specialized Bicycles are both great. 400 pounds is $800 and that will get you a quality bicycle that will last you for a while. Just be sure and keep it locked up well. I'm considering a Trek 7.3fx myself because it has the best parts for the price. I like drop handle bars but they have "steal me" all over'em. Hey I assume you are from the UK. Go M.U.F.C!!!!
On that exchange rate the pound is really weak and it equals $1.4233 as of yesterday. So more like $570. Plus the fee for conversion if needed. It was just a gap of several hundred so I figured that it should be noted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 05:57 PM   #11
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I'm buying the bike with pounds in the UK, so there is no problem with exchange rate. All the bikes I mentioned can be bought for roughly 400, however I just noticed EvansCycles are not selling either the Specialized Sirrus Comp 2007 or the Elite 2008 any more - they were by far the cheapest retailer! The Comp 2007 is now out as it is over budget at 700.

I can actually get the Elite 2008 for 450 but wondered about the Specialized Sirrus Sport 2009 at 390 or do you think I should even push it up to 537 for the Elite 2009? As you say the 2008 frame may be better and it is a similar bike but much cheaper.

The Trek 7.3 fx 2008 is also an idea however it is slower than the Sirrus range apparently, although the Sirrus is unforgiving on any rough road surfaces and apparently the back end is quite volatile in certain conditions. The Sirrus are flat bar road bikes whereas the Trek is a hybrid - is that basically correct?
I can get the Trek 7.3 fx 2008 for 342.55 and the 2009 for 424. Any thoughts?

I'm aiming to order and buy in the next couple of days.
Which would you buy?

Thanks,
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 06:04 PM   #12
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, thanks for your responses!

I have noticed that Evans Cycles have now stopped selling the Sirrus Comp 2007 and the Elite 2008 - they were by far the cheapest retailer! The Comp 2007 is now out of the question as it is very hard to find and above budget at 700.

I can get the Elite 2008 somewhere else for 450 which seems like a fairly good deal. However, would you suggest the Sport 2009 at 390 or pushing it up to 537 for the Elite 2009? Perhaps the 2008 is the best idea as it is cheaper, similar components and possibly better frame?
The Trek 7.3 fx is still an idea. I can get the 2008 for 342 and 2009 for 424.

Based on quality, components and prices which bike would you go for?
I'm going to order and buy in the next couple of days so please respond.
Any help is so appreciated because I really need a good bike.

Thanks a lot,
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 06:06 PM   #13
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar
 
X-LinkedRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeast PA
Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, if you are looking to go more road than comfort in a commuter, which I would and did for a multitude of reasons. I have a giant FCR3 (2006) which was around 500 american. It has served every purpose I could throw at it. I toured cross country or at least 1400 miles worth, use it to commute for work/errands/social, and go hang with some of the roadies for a 40-50 miler no problem. I love my Giant and pretty much every giant I can remember owning. I would pick up that 2008.5 FCR2 if I were you.
X-LinkedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 06:51 PM   #14
daven1986
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I test rode both trek and specialized globe sport disc and found the trek a much harsher ride so went with the specialized.

From my own experience I'd go with disc brakes and drop handlebars, but test ride extensively first.
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 07:14 PM   #15
bornintime22
Dutch
 
bornintime22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delco, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own a Trek 7100.

You can grab one around 300-400 US.

Good bike, serves it's purpose. Shifting is cheap and it is a bit heavy. Other then that if you're on flat ground this bike can fly!
bornintime22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:37 PM   #16
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Giants?

Hi guys thanks again for your useful replies. I have realised that I could get a Trek 7.5 fx 2008 at 444 instead of a 7.3 fx 2009. How much better is the 7.5? Also, many people have said that Trek and Specialized are quite harsh rides. So I looked into the Giant FCR range which apparently is almost as fast, more comfortable and higher-spec bikes in general. I can get a FCR1 2007 for 440 and the 2008 for 464. The CRS Alliance is also highly praised at 447. Anyway is the FCR1 2008 the best Giant here? I would think so.

If so my final decision is probably between the Trek 7.5 fx 2008, the Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008 and the Giant FCR1 2008?

Please reply, thanks people
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:51 PM   #17
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar
 
X-LinkedRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeast PA
Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes the best Giant on the list int he Road hybrid category. FCR1 is better than the 2 is better than the 3. The next step up is the TCR and then the always coveted OCR.

I cannot state enough, how much I love my Giant. Specialized does make some cool looking water bottle holders though.
X-LinkedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 10:58 PM   #18
delman
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Currently if my ordered bike falls through I think that I may get the trek 7.3 but the 7.5 would be better in your case but that is only off of what I can get my hands on here easilly.

If you have it down to those three, try them and decide which one you like most. Specs only go so far.

I am in close to the same situation but I had my mind set on what I wanted so it is on order but it doesn't really compare as much especially equipment wise but I plan on using it as a solid foundation that will last through the upgrades that I plan to make.

Last edited by delman; 03-07-09 at 11:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 08:55 AM   #19
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys

Hi guys thanks for your responses. I am leaning toward the FCR 1 2008 mainly because of the higher-spec components and its solidity and fairly comfortable ride. However, what would you say the main noticeable differences are between it and the Sirrus and 7.5 FX? Ie. Handling, speed, comfort, maintenance, factory default tyres etc. The Sirrus seems to be getting many votes as I have posted this thread on a couple of other forums. It seems very popular but I think the Giant is better value.

Many thanks,
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 10:01 AM   #20
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar
 
X-LinkedRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeast PA
Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are all good bikes. I found the same thing, the Giant to be best value and better than the sirrus which was better than the trek. I like the ride and the cost of the giant the best. In the end, I defintiely made the right decision.

Plus the Giant had the least amount of decals and such.

3000 miles later I could not think of a better bike for me to have gotten.
X-LinkedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 10:24 AM   #21
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcpaterson View Post
Hi guys thanks for your responses. I am leaning toward the FCR 1 2008 mainly because of the higher-spec components and its solidity and fairly comfortable ride. However, what would you say the main noticeable differences are between it and the Sirrus and 7.5 FX? Ie. Handling, speed, comfort, maintenance, factory default tyres etc. The Sirrus seems to be getting many votes as I have posted this thread on a couple of other forums. It seems very popular but I think the Giant is better value.

Many thanks,
Daniel
Some general "rules" (for road bicycles).

* Generally, for the same model (eg, Specialized Sirrus Elite), companies downgrade the components slightly each year to keep the price of that model relatively constant. This means "last year's" model will tend to be the better buy.

* Generally, the quality of components for a given price range will be fairly close in performance. (Note that it's possible that a particular model of a particular component might have design/reliablity issues but this problem should be rare.

* Beyond the inexpensive range, the reliability and maintenance costs of components doesn't really improve much with the cost of the component. That is, a lot of "midrange" components last just as long as the high end. It's the midrange where the value lies. Keep in mind that midrange is also cheaper to replace if they wear out or get damaged. (It's possible that this "rule" does not apply to tires!) A lot of what you are paying for with expensive components is reduced weight. You also get better looking stuff with more money (but better looking isn't necessarily better functioning).

* $800 should get you quite a nice bicycle from any reputable company (Specialized, Trek, Giant are all reputable companies).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-10-09 at 10:32 AM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 06:04 PM   #22
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys

Hi guys,
Remember that I am looking for something that WILL be able to cope with city roads, hills, the occasional pot-hole, uneven slabs and perhaps some rougher pavements and roads. I want to use it in the city and on 40mile road trips and some bike paths. However, I will NOT be using it on tracks or off road, so not on any very loose, rocky, muddy, gravelly surfaces.
With this in mind, the Specialized Sirrus Elite 2008 may be out of the question because several people on various forums have suggested that it is quite a harsh ride and doesn't cope with city roads particularly well. Also they complain of frequent punctures with the factory default tyres and say the handlebars shake considerably on even semi-rough surfaces. Also the Giant FCR 1 2008 is a road bike with flatbars. It is really designed only for the road so someone suggested I look at the Giant CRS Alliance 2008 which is apparently comfortable, fast and more versatile.
I am already aware that the Trek 7.5 Fx 2008 is highly rated, very popular, light, versatile, quite fast and can cope with some long road trips and some rough surfaces. People say the cons of this bike are the narrow hand grips and hard seat - both of which can be easily upgraded.
There are very few reviews of the Giant CRS Alliance so I would appreciate it if anyone could give me the heads up on it? What are the pros and cons? How does it compare to the Trek 7.5 fx?
I think I am almost at a decision of what to test-ride.

Any help would be great and thanks for your help so far, you've been great!
Daniel
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 07:42 PM   #23
danielcpaterson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Conclusion, your opinion?

Hello, I have narrowed my search down to the Trek 7.5 FX 2008 and the Giant CRS Alliance 2008.
Both cost roughly the same. Below are their specs. There are some differences in materials used, the crank, the frame and even tyres so I would appreciate your idea on which would my needs better ie. some city cycling and some short road trips.

Trek: Aluminium frame, carbon fork, 32mm Bontrager tyres, cassette 11-26, 9 speed, crank 48/36/26, alloy pedals, avid brakes.

Giant: Composite frame, carbon composite fork w/ aluminium steerer, 35mm Kenda tyres, cassette 12-26, 27 speed, crank 12-26, steel pedals, shimano brakes.

Please answer and I promise not to post again on this topic hehe!
danielcpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.