Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Bikes really don't belong on the roads. (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/526393-bikes-really-dont-belong-roads.html)

bdcheung 04-01-09 06:58 AM

Bikes really don't belong on the roads.
 
Ok. I've been commuting for a year and a half now through all seasons and on both road and trail. After all this I have determined that bicyclists really don't belong on the road. All we do is impede traffic, annoy drivers and contest roads. The externalities caused by on-road bike commuting are too many and the overall social effects net harm. Stay off the roads and make the world a better place.

enine 04-01-09 07:05 AM

I'll start riding through your yard tomorrow so I can be off the road.

bdcheung 04-01-09 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enine (Post 8641931)
I'll start riding through your yard tomorrow so I can be off the road.

That's fine. At least on my yard your only threat is dog poop. And on my yard you're not in anyone's way.

yxddwry 04-01-09 07:09 AM

We must have an April Fool here!

bjoerges 04-01-09 07:09 AM

Happy April :)

jack002 04-01-09 07:12 AM

Ah this is April 1, like grounhawg day, but with TROLLS instead. *yawn*

wickedcold 04-01-09 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enine (Post 8641931)
I'll start riding through your yard tomorrow so I can be off the road.

Oh SNAP!

chipcom 04-01-09 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack002 (Post 8641968)
Ah this is April 1, like grounhawg day, but with TROLLS instead. *yawn*

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

bdcheung 04-01-09 07:20 AM

Well if this were funny I could undersrand its misperception as a "joke". It apparently y'alls sense of humor is as broken as your sense of respect for fellow commuters (see, that word is meant to imply more than just people who ride bikes to work). I've gotten over myself and my inflated sense of self importance. Why can't you??

MulliganAl 04-01-09 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdcheung (Post 8642023)
Well if this were funny I could undersrand its misperception as a "joke". It apparently y'alls sense of humor is as broken as your sense of respect for fellow commuters (see, that word is meant to imply more than just people who ride bikes to work). I've gotten over myself and my inflated sense of self importance. Why can't you??

After my initial shock I thought it was pretty funny. Great April fools joke.

bdcheung 04-01-09 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MulliganAl (Post 8642041)
After my initial shock I thought it was pretty funny. Great April fools joke.

I guess it's easier to deflect than actually address the issue.

keiththesnake 04-01-09 07:40 AM

Okay. Everybody's entitled to his own opinion. The OP figures bike commuters don't belong on the road. That's his business. I guess he can stay off the road.

chipcom 04-01-09 07:45 AM

The roads are for motor vehicles...not Peter Pans who never grew up playing on their toys.
The sooner you all accept that, the better off you will be. You are not me, so please, for your own safety, quit trying to be like me.

10 Wheels 04-01-09 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 8642169)
The roads are for motor vehicles...not Peter Pans who never grew up playing on their toys.
The sooner you all accept that, the better off you will be. You are not me, so please, for your own safety, quit trying to be like me.

Too many cars and trucks on the road.
Can you recommend a good Sidewalk Bike?

Thanks

ryanwood 04-01-09 07:50 AM

where else can I ride? at least half of my ride does not include a sidewalk, I would need to ride an extra 3 miles to stay off the road, and I am not willing to make that kind of a sacrifice so that the well oiled traffic machine can operate .001% better. I have nothing against the drivers on the road and I even try not to hold it against them when they do dumb stuff, but I refuse to ride extra distance making my commute longer just so that a bunch of people in their cars can get to work 1.5 seconds faster, because thats about how long it takes to pass me on the road.

MIKEnDC 04-01-09 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdcheung (Post 8641895)
...and the overall social effects net harm. Stay off the roads and make the world a better place.

I think you are talking to the wrong commuter community. :p

crawdaddio 04-01-09 08:02 AM

Okay.
Build me an elevated bike path above all the streets in chicago and I will use it.
Your argument (if not a joke) is unfounded. Most cycling laws prove this.

buzzman 04-01-09 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdcheung (Post 8641895)
Ok. I've been commuting for a year and a half now through all seasons and on both road and trail. After all this I have determined that bicyclists really don't belong on the road. All we do is impede traffic, annoy drivers and contest roads. The externalities caused by on-road bike commuting are too many and the overall social effects net harm. Stay off the roads and make the world a better place.

:roflmao2:

I only wish you'd posted this in A & S rather than here- where we are far less knee jerk in our reactions.

Crast 04-01-09 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 8642190)
Too many cars and trucks on the road.
Can you recommend a good Sidewalk Bike?

Thanks

http://www.kiddietoys.com/images/one/34.jpg

never gets flats, fender included, no brakes to wear out, no complicated drivetrain to worry about, no issues with getting chain crud on your pant leg. Legal on the sidewalk in most states. What more could you ask?

CliftonGK1 04-01-09 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crast (Post 8642357)
http://www.kiddietoys.com/images/one/34.jpg

never gets flats, fender included, no brakes to wear out, no complicated drivetrain to worry about, no issues with getting chain crud on your pant leg. Legal on the sidewalk in most states. What more could you ask?

Hipster fixie garbage.

Denny Koll 04-01-09 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack002 (Post 8641968)
Ah this is April 1, like grounhawg day, but with TROLLS instead. *yawn*

Two of the most overused forum cliches in one post...the ubiquitous troll comment and the ever popular yawn. Congrats.

chipcom 04-01-09 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 8642190)
Too many cars and trucks on the road.
Can you recommend a good Sidewalk Bike?

Thanks

If it's good enough for our fine police, it should be good enough for you.

http://www.techstung.com/wp-content/...cle_page_1.jpg

chipcom 04-01-09 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanwood (Post 8642205)
where else can I ride? at least half of my ride does not include a sidewalk, I would need to ride an extra 3 miles to stay off the road, and I am not willing to make that kind of a sacrifice so that the well oiled traffic machine can operate .001% better. I have nothing against the drivers on the road and I even try not to hold it against them when they do dumb stuff, but I refuse to ride extra distance making my commute longer just so that a bunch of people in their cars can get to work 1.5 seconds faster, because thats about how long it takes to pass me on the road.

Take a bus or drive...you should be willing to do ANYTHING to be safe.

chipcom 04-01-09 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEnDC (Post 8642278)
I think you are talking to the wrong commuter community. :p

Of course you inside-the-beltway types would love to see the rest of us FREE people crushed and broken on the roadways of Amerika. Your jackboots are showing.

chipcom 04-01-09 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawdaddio (Post 8642289)
Okay.
Build me an elevated bike path above all the streets in chicago and I will use it.
Your argument (if not a joke) is unfounded. Most cycling laws prove this.

Plans are in the works...it's part of the stimulus package. Please do your homework before spouting off in an Internet forum. Thank you.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.