Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Changing Office bike policy restriction

    My company doesn't allow bikes in the office. Of the ~3000 employees at work, I'm 1 out of 10 people who regularly ride their bikes to work. The ongoing workforce reductions leaves a lot of offices and work areas vacant.

    I want to better understand the rational for the restriction and build my case to try and convince them otherwise.

    What ideas or resources do you have that I could use to help me convince my employer allow bikes in the office? Why would my company have such a restriction on bicycle commuters?

  2. #2
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other vehicles do they allow inside the building?
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you're going to understand the rationale for the restriction by asking about it here. You'd have to ask the people who created it why they did so.
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
    What other vehicles do they allow inside the building?
    At least 3000 pairs of shoes, in fact, I bet they even require them.

    The thing I don't get is why the public generally is against bringing bicycles inside while simultaneously regarding them as sidewalk vehicles like shoes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think "the public" is generally anything on the subject. You've got to get specific if you want to address restrictions like this one.
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  6. #6
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your work environment like, what facilities are provided to you otherwise, etc. etc.

    I can understand employers not wanting bicycles being physically brought inside into offices, but if you're not being otherwise accomodated then that's a different issue.

  7. #7
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo_vt View Post
    What's your work environment like, what facilities are provided to you otherwise, etc. etc.

    I can understand employers not wanting bicycles being physically brought inside into offices, but if you're not being otherwise accomodated then that's a different issue.
    My entire office building/campus is owned by my company. While it's a major site, it's not the corporate office where the exects are running around with a white glove. My office is on the second floor and I spend most of my day in my cubicle on the internet (kidding). The office enviroment is really laid back. Most people are technicains/engineers and the dress code is very relaxed (most people wear jeans, shorts, sandles, etc).

    The company does provide a bike rack down on the second floor. We have lockers and shower facilities so they do support those who wish to workout during the day.

    Outside of the common areas, front/back doors, cafeteria, etc, the floors have the high-foot traffic carpet.

  8. #8
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds similar to my situation, though with more people.

    The few bike commuters here have a covered rack outside the main employee entrance and shower facilities. I don't know whether bikes are allowed inside, but it's never been an issue really - we're isolated enough that a few people just leave their bikes unlocked in the rack, and I use only a cheap cable combo lock. I guess indoor storage would be nice, but there's little need for it here.

    I understand why an employer would not want bicycles brought inside. It probably wouldn't be an issue with most riders, but as usual these sorts of privileges are quickly ruined by people who just don't have any sense. I guess you could argue for indoor parking, but so far you haven't really said why you want that.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lil brown bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston (sort of)
    My Bikes
    1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with the bike rack on the second floor? It sounds like it's indoors.
    You have the right to your own opinion. You don't have the right to your own facts.

  10. #10
    Snapping chain = pain mangosalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hills-Vegas, NC
    My Bikes
    1987 Schwinn Traveler;1991 Bridgestone CB1;Rigid SS MTB
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that rack is indoors, on private property, and they provide showers ... I don't know if
    I'd (personally) have any complaints at all. This is what my company provides as well,
    except the racks are outside. I was able to get the OK from building maintenance to
    park my bike in a HVAC/air-handler room within our lab. Without their OK, I'd have to
    lock up outside.
    Last edited by mangosalsa; 04-02-09 at 11:43 AM.

  11. #11
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may only apply to government buildings but maybe they are just following suit?
    Dallas legal stuff online
    "SEC. 9-2. BICYCLES PROHIBITED IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS.
    No person shall carry, push, propel or ride an assembled or operable bicycle in any public building in the city. (Ord. 13686)
    "

  12. #12
    not a role model JeffS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4,644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle16v View Post
    The company does provide a bike rack down on the second floor. We have lockers and shower facilities so they do support those who wish to workout during the day.
    So what's the problem again?

    You're wanting to bring it closer to you, but you don't have any personal space to put it in? From a company perspective, vacant space is not "free space". I can see where a site that size couldn't allow people to stick a bike wherever they wanted to. They were proactive and provided a space, and it seems reasonable that they now expect you to use it.

    I can sympathize. My bike is sitting in my office with me today. It's MY office though, not an empty one. There's only 200 or so of us here though, so things work differently. Our landlord refused to install a bike rack when another employee (without an office) wanted one. Said it hurt the aesthetics of the building.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    This may only apply to government buildings but maybe they are just following suit?
    Dallas legal stuff online
    "SEC. 9-2. BICYCLES PROHIBITED IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS.
    No person shall carry, push, propel or ride an assembled or operable bicycle in any public building in the city. (Ord. 13686)
    "
    Do (folded) folding bikes get around this rule? Or how about a normal bike with the front wheel QR'd off? In both cases they're neither assembled nor operable in that state.

  14. #14
    On the road to health. Griffin2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle16v View Post
    My entire office building/campus is owned by my company. While it's a major site, it's not the corporate office where the exects are running around with a white glove. My office is on the second floor and I spend most of my day in my cubicle on the internet (kidding). The office enviroment is really laid back. Most people are technicains/engineers and the dress code is very relaxed (most people wear jeans, shorts, sandles, etc).

    The company does provide a bike rack down on the second floor. We have lockers and shower facilities so they do support those who wish to workout during the day.

    Outside of the common areas, front/back doors, cafeteria, etc, the floors have the high-foot traffic carpet.
    Do you work for EDS (HP) or Cisco? lol

  15. #15
    On the road to health. Griffin2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    This may only apply to government buildings but maybe they are just following suit?
    Dallas legal stuff online
    "SEC. 9-2. BICYCLES PROHIBITED IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS.
    No person shall carry, push, propel or ride an assembled or operable bicycle in any public building in the city. (Ord. 13686)
    "
    So, you cannot take your bike into City Hall, the Library, the Courthouse....

    Any building that is privately owned, though it may have public access, is not a public building.

  16. #16
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    solution = folding bike.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  17. #17
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    Do (folded) folding bikes get around this rule? Or how about a normal bike with the front wheel QR'd off? In both cases they're neither assembled nor operable in that state.
    Forget the folding bike I wanna ride my trike in there.. Bicycle?! I got three wheels officer

    I hope they'd allow a folder, though maybe not walking a strida with the wheels on the ground, but the "assembled or operable bicycle" kinda throws me. I can only guess they want you not to be able to do is easily hop on and ride when/where no one is looking. If I pull the front wheel off it is not assembled or operable right?


    If the 2nd floor rack is somewhat secured I think the OP has a really good deal. I gotta rol over 4 usually wet speed bumps, 2 wheel catcher grates and around a parking garage with a few blind turns that people speed through to lock up to a railing and I have gotten yelled at and lectured about that.

  18. #18
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,807
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate that my company allows us to bring out bikes into the office but I consider it a privilege and would understand if they were to one day decide to change their mind.

    It may mean that I'd keep my "nice bike" at home more often than not.

    That doesn't mean you have to give up hope. Find out who made the decision and request 15 minutes of their time. See if you can find out ahead of the meeting what their objections are and come up with solutions. Be prepared for the objections not being entirely rational. Above all be courteous and no matter what the ultimate answer his, thank them for their consideration.

    As a manager I find that there are things I have a gut negative reaction to and given time to mull it over I can change my mind. That's most likely to happen when I'm presented with a well thought out argument in a level headed manor. I have more than once said no then a few days or weeks later reconsidered. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

    Skip any BS about it beneficial to the company unless the benefits are pretty concrete and demonstrable.
    Last edited by tjspiel; 04-02-09 at 12:29 PM.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  19. #19
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo_vt View Post
    I guess you could argue for indoor parking, but so far you haven't really said why you want that.
    It's a security thing. After all the forum talk about stolen bikes, busting locks and videos of how easy it is to take my bike, I thought I would lobby somebody at my office to give us an area to secure our bikes.

    I just bought my new bike and the last thing I want is for somebody to do is take it from me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lil brown bat View Post
    What's wrong with the bike rack on the second floor? It sounds like it's indoors.
    Its a covered parking area but it's not enclosed. A pedestrian now and then can walk through to get to the other side of the building. On the backside, the parking lot opens up to a sidewalk which runs parallel to the commuter train so, if someone was interested they could walk up, do the deal, and ride off with my bike.

  21. #21
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    You're wanting to bring it closer to you, but you don't have any personal space to put it in? From a company perspective, vacant space is not "free space".
    I agree, I'm not suggesting I should be allowed to take up their free space. If they let me bring it in, I have plenty of room in my cube. Part of my plan was asking them to consider letting use some available space if they won't let me bring my bike to my cube.

  22. #22
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    I really appreciate that my company allows us to bring out bikes into the office but I consider it a privilege and would understand if they were to one day decide to change their mind.

    It may mean that I'd keep my "nice bike" at home more often than not.

    That doesn't mean you have to give up hope. Find out who made the decision and request 15 minutes of their time. See if you can find out ahead of the meeting what their objections are and come up with solutions. Be prepared for the objections not being entirely rational. Above all be courteous and no matter what the ultimate answer his, thank them for their consideration.

    As a manager I find that there are things I have a gut negative reaction to and given time to mull it over I can change my mind. That's most likely to happen when I'm presented with a well thought out argument in a level headed manor. I have more than once said no then a few days or weeks later reconsidered. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

    Skip any BS about it beneficial to the company unless the benefits are pretty concrete and demonstrable.
    Great feedback! I totally agree. I'm still trying to find that person who can answer my questions. I will want to sit with them to see how they came to these decisions and see if they're willing to consider giving us cyclist an indoor area. I'm not wanting them to put out any expenses towards our effort. I just want to better understand the policies in place and see if there's an opportunity to re-evaluate the restrictions on cycles in the building. Maybe the rational was appropraite at the time but there may be a chance the policy can be changed. All I can do is ask.

  23. #23
    Senior Member cycle16v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Giant, Specialized
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
    Do you work for EDS (HP) or Cisco? lol
    My two daughters. The job place is just where I go to talk to "goofballs" when they're at school.

  24. #24
    Senior Member flattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    Raleigh M20; Jamis Bosanova & timesharing a citibike
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle16v View Post
    Great feedback! I totally agree. I'm still trying to find that person who can answer my questions. I will want to sit with them to see how they came to these decisions and see if they're willing to consider giving us cyclist an indoor area. I'm not wanting them to put out any expenses towards our effort. I just want to better understand the policies in place and see if there's an opportunity to re-evaluate the restrictions on cycles in the building. Maybe the rational was appropraite at the time but there may be a chance the policy can be changed. All I can do is ask.
    You mentioned in your first post that there are lots of empty offices/areas due to layoffs. Having been in a position where I have been asked to reduce headcount several times I'd like to suggest that perhaps you live with the accomodations you presently have rather than raising your profile in a way that can be viewed as bothersome at best or negative at worst. It sounds like you get far more accomodations (locker/showers/bike rack) than many on this forum.

  25. #25
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I get my company running, employees are going to be required to ride a bike to work, and they will have to have it in their workstation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •