Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-09, 06:40 PM   #1
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie
Thread Starter
 
Luddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate you guys that live in flat places.

I curse you ever time I'm struggling up some giant @$$ hill. Hills are EVERYWHERE here.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 06:42 PM   #2
nahh
on your left.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm traveling in a flat area, but live in the mtns. After 150 miles in flat country, I can safely say that I enjoy the hills!

With hills on a ride, I don't have to go near as far to get a good workout. And constantly flat areas get boring because it seems that you are constantly spinning. In the same gear. for hours.
nahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 06:44 PM   #3
TamaraEden
Senior Member
 
TamaraEden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood :)
Bikes: TREK WSD 7000
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where I live sucks for a newbie who is as out of shape as me. I'm at the foothills of the Hollywood Hills/Griffith Park area. Even though where I am APPEARS flat, it's all different smaller grades that are longer and make me feel even worse. Need to go try the LA River this week. My problem is getting my husband to come with me. I need to get used to going out on adventures alone. Doing an errand alone is no biggee though.
TamaraEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:01 PM   #4
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member
 
JPprivate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry...

But hilly landscapes look much prettier.....
JPprivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:27 PM   #5
dwr1961
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW Idaho
Bikes:
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraEden View Post
Where I live sucks for a newbie who is as out of shape as me. I'm at the foothills of the Hollywood Hills/Griffith Park area. Even though where I am APPEARS flat, it's all different smaller grades that are longer and make me feel even worse. Need to go try the LA River this week. My problem is getting my husband to come with me. I need to get used to going out on adventures alone. Doing an errand alone is no biggee though.
You need to go down to Santa Monica and ride the path along the beach. It runs all the way to Torrance (15mi IIRC) and is dead flat. There's lot's of joggers/in-line skaters/walkers/etc. but it is a graet place for a newbie riding by herself. Lots of police presence and lots of people around... Also way cooler than just a couple miles inland.

I left L.A. way before the river bike path was even thought about, but I recall the area being pretty lonely. Also, the river runs through some pretty "colorful" areas of town, so you might be advised to take along a friend.
dwr1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:29 PM   #6
TamaraEden
Senior Member
 
TamaraEden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood :)
Bikes: TREK WSD 7000
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr1961 View Post
You need to go down to Santa Monica and ride the path along the beach. It runs all the way to Torrance (15mi IIRC) and is dead flat. There's lot's of joggers/in-line skaters/walkers/etc. but it is a graet place for a newbie riding by herself. Lots of police presence and lots of people around... Also way cooler than just a couple miles inland.

I left L.A. way before the river bike path was even thought about, but I recall the area being pretty lonely. Also, the river runs through some pretty "colorful" areas of town, so you might be advised to take along a friend.
Hi, yeah, Santa Monica is an easy option minus the driving there and finding parking . I got a book with rides in LA and there are lots. Husband and I are supposed to do one a week but damn this hot weather!

The LA River is only a few miles from us. I think I could get there easy, but no way I can ride back up Los Feliz at this point. We always see tons of cyclists and such riding there. I think it's cleaned up quite a bit actually, but yes, I wouldn't go there alone. I'm pretty city smart.

Thanks for the suggestions!
TamaraEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:29 PM   #7
CigTech
Senior Member
 
CigTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate the hills, moved up here and now have to build up my hill muscles.
CigTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:35 PM   #8
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie
Thread Starter
 
Luddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cyclevancouver.ubc.ca/

Just let it search with the default address. The darker the colour, the eviller the grade or something. I have to go up one long (by my standards) brutal hill right after leaving my neighbourhood on my way to work, then there's an incredibly steep (but short) one that I power up. On the way back I have an incredibly long grade to climb. I actually have to stop and catch my breath at least twice which bugs the crap out of me.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:39 PM   #9
tballx
Count Dorkula
 
tballx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonds, WA
Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Sport
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amen Brother. Hate on!
tballx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:42 PM   #10
TamaraEden
Senior Member
 
TamaraEden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood :)
Bikes: TREK WSD 7000
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
http://www.cyclevancouver.ubc.ca/

Just let it search with the default address. The darker the colour, the eviller the grade or something. I have to go up one long (by my standards) brutal hill right after leaving my neighbourhood on my way to work, then there's an incredibly steep (but short) one that I power up. On the way back I have an incredibly long grade to climb. I actually have to stop and catch my breath at least twice which bugs the crap out of me.
On MapMyRide it shows the grades too. I don't even know what's considered super easy or medium, etc. My little ride the other day, I embarrasingly did have to walk half a street. Not far, but I needed to breathe. It might be time to get my childhood asthma formally reevaluated. I wonder sometimes, even if I'm not wheezing, if it holds me back.

I just looked at y our route. All those hills and only burns 200+ calories. BOOOO!
Here's the little ride that I mentioned: Link: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...24776721816209
(if you can't see the elevation, there's a little toggle button to click)
TamaraEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:56 PM   #11
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie
Thread Starter
 
Luddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it Topo? I can't see the grade, I'll take your word for it though. I developed exercise-induced Asthma more as an adult. It gets bad if I get a cold or flu though, way worse.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 07:57 PM   #12
LesMcLuffAlot
Pedal faster not harder.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buy an electric assist conversion system for your commuting bike...
LesMcLuffAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:09 PM   #13
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Bikes:
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is a hill?
Schwinnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:16 PM   #14
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie
Thread Starter
 
Luddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be quiet, you.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:17 PM   #15
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I went for a nice ride on Wednesday. 46.16 miles with only 1,463 feet of climbing. Go ahead, hate me for it.

The rides that are the most memorable for me though, include lots of climbing. For instance, the week I spent in the Front Range of the Rockies last summer. Even around here, when I get out to hill country south of the city, I seem to have more fun.

But what really sucks is the stinkin' little 2% grade for two miles from work to home. After a full day's work, that saps the life out of me for some strange reason.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:17 PM   #16
nahh
on your left.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
What is a hill?
Kinda like a tall bridge over water, but they tend to last longer and seem more random
nahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:20 PM   #17
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraEden View Post
Hi, yeah, Santa Monica is an easy option minus the driving there and finding parking . I got a book with rides in LA and there are lots. Husband and I are supposed to do one a week but damn this hot weather!

The LA River is only a few miles from us. I think I could get there easy, but no way I can ride back up Los Feliz at this point. We always see tons of cyclists and such riding there. I think it's cleaned up quite a bit actually, but yes, I wouldn't go there alone. I'm pretty city smart.

Thanks for the suggestions!
driving to Santa Monica from Hollywood? it's not that far, make it part of your workout
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:26 PM   #18
TamaraEden
Senior Member
 
TamaraEden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood :)
Bikes: TREK WSD 7000
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Is it Topo? I can't see the grade, I'll take your word for it though. I developed exercise-induced Asthma more as an adult. It gets bad if I get a cold or flu though, way worse.
it's not Topo, is just a graph/chart. you're prob. missing it cuz they're so small to the normal person
TamaraEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 08:29 PM   #19
TamaraEden
Senior Member
 
TamaraEden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood :)
Bikes: TREK WSD 7000
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
driving to Santa Monica from Hollywood? it's not that far, make it part of your workout
ROFLMAO! From here to San Mo, I'd be done! Hell, if I even made it. Do you know I JUST started riding a month or so ago. Was gone 2 weeks of that time. I can count my bike rides on two hands
TamaraEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 10:46 PM   #20
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
But what really sucks is the stinkin' little 2% grade for two miles from work to home. After a full day's work, that saps the life out of me for some strange reason.
The last 2 miles of my commute home are Novelty Hill, which if you saw the morning downhill run video of mine, is steeper than 2% for the whole run (with the exception of a 20yd section where I get a break.)
The overall for my commute home is anywhere between 1,100' and 2,000' depending if I take the "flat" 15 mile route or the hilly 18 mile route.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 10:55 PM   #21
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.
 
Lamp-Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hills are like sex. The better you get at it, the more you like it.
Lamp-Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 10:57 PM   #22
bigboybiker
Senior Member
 
bigboybiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Bikes: Trek 820, Soon a Trek FX 7.3
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I curse you ever time I'm struggling up some giant @$$ hill. Hills are EVERYWHERE here.
Dude I wish that I was forced by terrain to do some hills. I live in northern Indiana. A highway overpass is a hill to me, and at 300 pounds those are painful. If I had a few more hills then I'd be forced to get back into shape a bit quicker.
bigboybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 11:01 PM   #23
froze
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I curse you ever time I'm struggling up some giant @$$ hill. Hills are EVERYWHERE here.
Dam, I hate you flatlanders...wait, that's what I am now! AND I HATE IT!!! I'm sure I lost my mountain legs I had when I rode in the Southern California mountains for about 25 years until I moved to the flatlands of northern Indiana about 5 years ago.

Don't curse us, instead think of all the flatlanders you can beat up those mountians without hardly breaking a sweat while singing Dixie while their being attended to by paramedics for heart attacks!!!
froze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 11:05 PM   #24
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Bikes: Surly LHT
Posts: 5,349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Just remember this next time you are giggling down the backside of some huge @**ed hill:

Us flatlanders have to pedal ALL THE TIME! You hill folk only pedal half the ride.
JoeyBike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 11:16 PM   #25
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Just remember this next time you are giggling down the backside of some huge @**ed hill:

Us flatlanders have to pedal ALL THE TIME! You hill folk only pedal half the ride.
Except when I'm riding my fixie.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 PM.