Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My U lock trunk rack arrived today

    Last week I bought a Topeak trunk bag for my commuting. I wanted a frame mount rack for it but My LBS only has seat post mount racks. I had them order me one and then found 1 that has an intergraded U lock storage with a lock. I called and had them order it for me and it arrived today. My local bike store is not a big commuter based client operation do to the distance from the city. They are however extremely helpful and order me anything I want. I guess the are going to stock this item to see how well it does. I am going to set it up tomorrow when I clean and prep my bike for next weeks run. The entire set up is pretty trick!
    I will post some pictures tomorow

  2. #2
    Temporary Earthling supramax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    My Bikes
    Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yippee!

    I thought that all the Topeak rack trunks only worked with the 'QuickTrack' systems and that
    there were no 'QuickTrack' frame mounted racks.
    We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually there are several Quick track frame racks for the Topeak trunk bags. The one I ordered has the Ulock stored under the rack below the track. I needed a new lock anyway so the timing was perfect.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PDX
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIke this one?



    REI has several topeak racks and trunks. I like the idea of the one that can also carry the u-lock.

  5. #5
    Temporary Earthling supramax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    My Bikes
    Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Actually there are several Quick track frame racks for the Topeak trunk bags. The one I ordered has the Ulock stored under the rack below the track. I needed a new lock anyway so the timing was perfect.
    I just checked the Topeak site and saw it. I like their stuff, but I won't get rid of my superb RhodeGear rack.
    We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I worked on her all day today. I mounted the new rack, Cleaned and lubed the chain. mounted the Areo bars and re did the dash. Hear are some pics

    007.jpg

    008.jpg

    009.jpg

    014.jpg

    005.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member turtlewoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Santa Fe
    My Bikes
    Peugeot something 1975
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the beer in the water bottle holder.
    1975 Peugeot UO-18
    -----------------------------------------------

    Just wanting to have some dang fun!
    "What she loved was simply life." Mrs. Dalloway
    "Free the cheese!"
    Diesel Dan: HTFU!

  8. #8
    Peace, Love, Bikes
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour III
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you find that rack?
    Andrew

    Life On Two Wheels

    Car free, one day at a time...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I bought the trunk bag and ordered a standard a standard frame rack with the Quick track system but when I got home I started checking stuff out on the internet. I first saw it on the topeak website and then at REI's website. Then I called my LBS and had them order it instead of the original one I ordered. Today is Saturday, Beer day LOL

  10. #10
    Often on Fritz DanBraden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plainsboro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Franken-Fritz
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Well I worked on her all day today. I mounted the new rack, Cleaned and lubed the chain. mounted the Areo bars and re did the dash. Hear are some pics

    007.jpg

    008.jpg

    009.jpg

    014.jpg

    005.jpg
    Humminah humminah! I want to have your bikes babies.

  11. #11
    Often on Fritz DanBraden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plainsboro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Franken-Fritz
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I dig that flat bar with aero bars. My cockpit is similar, and I think it's the breasts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you I have been looking at them for a while. I sold my Horses so I decided to dump a few sheckles into my commuter. I have been very pleased with this bike.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: How did you mount the kickstand on with the fenders there? Doesn't it get in the way?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember that being an issue. I will take a look later

  15. #15
    Mirror slap survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Last week I bought a Topeak trunk bag for my commuting. I wanted a frame mount rack for it but My LBS only has seat post mount racks. I had them order me one and then found 1 that has an intergraded U lock storage with a lock. I called and had them order it for me and it arrived today. My local bike store is not a big commuter based client operation do to the distance from the city. They are however extremely helpful and order me anything I want. I guess the are going to stock this item to see how well it does. I am going to set it up tomorrow when I clean and prep my bike for next weeks run. The entire set up is pretty trick!
    I will post some pictures tomorow

    I had one of those. It is a GREAT product. It's not perfect, however. The cam-lock reflector that holds the lock in place tends to rattle. I actually broke one being stupid and trying to force it closed. Topeak is such a good company that they sent me a replacement for free even after I admitted it was my fault.

    Now my bikes have panniers, so I carry the U-lock there. Still, the Topeak system is very handy.
    "When I'm on a bike, it's like I'm 14 again, racing off to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters."

  16. #16
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did read that the locking mechanism for the U lock was the weak link in the system. I was fortunate to find a 24 inch 2 inch wide Velcro strap at Home Depot that works perfect on the rack to hold the lock tight. The cam lock now just holds the light. I do see how it would be very easy to break. Every review I read said most people lost it with in a month or so. I would prefer not to lose the lamp more than the mechanism.

  17. #17
    Temporary Earthling supramax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    My Bikes
    Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    Well I worked on her all day today.
    I mounted the new rack, Cleaned and lubed the chain. mounted the Areo bars and re did the dash.
    Hear are some pics
    Very nice, indeed. You just need some machine guns mounted at the front and you'll be good to go.

    P. S. What's the verdict on the 'Mitycross'?
    We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

  18. #18
    Call me The Breeze I_bRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Corbyville Ontario
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
    Posts
    3,699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a very good lock unfortunately! The rack will accept a modified kyrptonite series 2 though...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Very nice, indeed. You just need some machine guns mounted at the front and you'll be good to go.
    and
    P. S. What's the verdict on the 'Mitycross'?
    Funny you mentiond that I was thinking about your intrest in that yesterday. So far it is flawless and it was well worth the purchase. I run it in flashing mode most of the time. I certainly have been shown a great deal of courtesy on the road so to answer you question it is fantastic

  20. #20
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bRAD View Post
    Not a very good lock unfortunately! The rack will accept a modified kyrptonite series 2 though...
    The lock will be fine, I wasn't expecting top of the line. I run my division at work and let all my employees keep there bikes inside
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PDX
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bRAD View Post
    Not a very good lock unfortunately! The rack will accept a modified kyrptonite series 2 though...

    This is the reason that I didn't get this rack.

    This is what I do instead:


    If Im not taking the trunk I use 2 little velcro strips to attach the lock to the rack.

  22. #22
    Female Member KitN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlewoman View Post
    I like the beer in the water bottle holder.
    +1

    I wish that rack took Kryptonite u-locks. That would have been perfect. Anyway, how is the quality of the lock?
    Ride what you like. Ride in what you like.

  23. #23
    Mirror slap survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber_8 View Post
    I did read that the locking mechanism for the U lock was the weak link in the system. I was fortunate to find a 24 inch 2 inch wide Velcro strap at Home Depot that works perfect on the rack to hold the lock tight. The cam lock now just holds the light. I do see how it would be very easy to break. Every review I read said most people lost it with in a month or so. I would prefer not to lose the lamp more than the mechanism.
    I never worried about losing the cam. It did rattle like a mother, though. The cam isn't what rattles. The lock rattles when it's not snugged down tight. Your setup fixes that. Adjusting it's tightness is tricky, as you go from really loose to impossible to close within a turn of the screw mechanism. Not the best design, but it's the only game in town.
    "When I'm on a bike, it's like I'm 14 again, racing off to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters."

  24. #24
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    +1

    I wish that rack took Kryptonite u-locks. That would have been perfect. Anyway, how is the quality of the lock?
    The lock is fine and it will take a Kriptonite lock
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •