Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-09, 06:00 PM   #1
joco
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ottawa canada
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
best bike locks...?

hi all.

have you got your bike stolen...? what kind off locks had you on.?

and what you guys recommend.??

thanks,.


joco
joco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 06:04 PM   #2
Judge_Posner
god
 
Judge_Posner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SFC
Bikes: cannondale f300, surly steamroller
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've had many bikes stolen. chain and cord type locks are super easy to break.

the only kind of lock will ever use is the kryptonite mini (the newest version, i think its called evolution and they may also make a beefed-up new yourk version). its small enough that i can carry it in a back pocket, and nobody will mess with it. its quite hard to insert a pry bar into a mini lock when the mini lock is around the seat tube, back tire, and pole. if the pole is too big, through the tire only (obviously inside the rear triangle) works great, a la sheldon.
Judge_Posner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 01:01 PM   #3
2wheeldeal
Goldmember
 
2wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek Multitrack 750, Dahon Classic
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been on the soapbox so to speak on this point for awhile, but I think it bears repeating. I decided to try and stop squeezing my u-lock around the frame and wheel, or through the rear triangle, and just got some cheap locking wheel skewers from Velo Orange ($14). Now I just lock the top tube to whatever like the bike messengers. The skewers use a tamper-proof hex key to tighten, and come, of course, with a matching wrench. Not perfect, but how many bike/parts thieves are going to be that well equipped?

By the same token, I don't worry about my 15-yr old Cyclepro u-lock with the tubular lock, especially since I painted it yellow to look like a Kryptonite NY. How many bike thieves actually know the Bic pen picking technique? I'll probably get a mini-Bulldog just to look cool, but I've never had a bike stolen when it was u-locked.
2wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 01:45 PM   #4
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega
Posts: 2,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A very long thread, started by a locksmith, on locks.

Some lock advice from a locksmith
__________________
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
tatfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 02:12 PM   #5
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter
 
kmcrawford111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Sirrus, Brompton
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeldeal View Post
By the same token, I don't worry about my 15-yr old Cyclepro u-lock with the tubular lock, especially since I painted it yellow to look like a Kryptonite NY. How many bike thieves actually know the Bic pen picking technique? I'll probably get a mini-Bulldog just to look cool, but I've never had a bike stolen when it was u-locked.
What kind of bike are you riding?
kmcrawford111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 02:37 PM   #6
rohmen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; Bianchi San Jose; Schwinn Super Sport.
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Posner View Post
i've had many bikes stolen. chain and cord type locks are super easy to break.

the only kind of lock will ever use is the kryptonite mini (the newest version, i think its called evolution and they may also make a beefed-up new yourk version). its small enough that i can carry it in a back pocket, and nobody will mess with it. its quite hard to insert a pry bar into a mini lock when the mini lock is around the seat tube, back tire, and pole. if the pole is too big, through the tire only (obviously inside the rear triangle) works great, a la sheldon.
I agree with the kryptonite mini recommendation, but just wanted to point out that no lock is fool proof. My wife had a nice bike stolen while she was using a kryptonite mini locked to a solid bike rack. The person used an angle grinder to cut through the lock. This happened in broad daylight near a pretty busy corner in downtown Chicago, probably while dozens of people walked by. No lock is really safe against a grinder, but at least the mini or the ny kryptonite locks hold up the best and deters people to go after easier pickings. If it is a well equiped professional who wants the bike, however, no lock will stand up to the assault.
rohmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 01:03 AM   #7
2wheeldeal
Goldmember
 
2wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek Multitrack 750, Dahon Classic
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcrawford111 View Post
What kind of bike are you riding?
I ride a Trek Multitrack that I've upgraded with better components, and a solid-color paint job. I should add that I don't have to park the bike on the street all day, and I'm pretty paranoid about where and when I park it, and I live in Portland, so there's usually a better-looking bike parked nearby. My second bike is a folder, and that's the ultimate solution.

You can cut any of the new U-locks with a cordless saw. Even a cordless drill with carbide bit can defeat the locks with a little skill. My approach to thievery is to take away the thieves' options wherever it's practical. If you have a problem with professionals and power tools, you need to go to the next level - organizing to pressure property owners or city officials to provide parking security in high-density areas.
2wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 03:38 AM   #8
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter
 
kmcrawford111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Sirrus, Brompton
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeldeal View Post
I ride a Trek Multitrack that I've upgraded with better components, and a solid-color paint job. I should add that I don't have to park the bike on the street all day, and I'm pretty paranoid about where and when I park it, and I live in Portland, so there's usually a better-looking bike parked nearby. My second bike is a folder, and that's the ultimate solution.

You can cut any of the new U-locks with a cordless saw. Even a cordless drill with carbide bit can defeat the locks with a little skill. My approach to thievery is to take away the thieves' options wherever it's practical. If you have a problem with professionals and power tools, you need to go to the next level - organizing to pressure property owners or city officials to provide parking security in high-density areas.
My comment was a joke. I've been thinking of visiting Portland. Too bad it takes like two days to get there on Amtrak - I don't care much for flying or driving.

I've been wanting to try out a folder for awhile now. I'm especially interested in a BF Tikit model T... unfortunately I need to lose a little extra weight before using the medium size, which is probably what I'd be getting...
kmcrawford111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 06:41 AM   #9
BianchiDave
Senior Member
 
BianchiDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires / 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez / 2009 Scott Scale 60
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont use a lock for my bike at work but I know it's not going to get stolen since I park it in my office (my office is a police office.)
When I'm around the city and need to lock my bike I use a cheap cable lock from Target. I don't worry too much about my bike getting stolen because I strongly believe it's where you position it over how strong of lock you have.
I worked a stolen bike report where the bike was there (frame and rear tire) but everything else was bye, bye and it was locked with a log chain. The owner couldn't believe this happen I informed him the chain alone attracted people’s attention to it. He also elected to chain it up to a light pole around the side of the building over using the bike rack that was just outside the main entrance. I asked him why he chose this spot over the other; he said he was trying to hide his bike.(?)
BianchiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 12:50 PM   #10
joco
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ottawa canada
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ibaught a foldable abu locks today..the key one.

is it good.?
http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scree...=4003318335679


http://www.bikesax.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=1


joco

Last edited by joco; 09-27-09 at 12:55 PM.
joco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 03:38 PM   #11
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best bike lock tends to be the one you use. Far to many people fall into the "I'll just be a minute" gang, or "nothing ever happens around here" group. Though there are people who troll around with every device known in bikedom for your beauty, far to many take a bike simply because it was available.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.