Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New shoes + new cleats = no float?

    I've been using various Crank Brothers pedals for a while now and like them a lot. I got a new pair of shoes (Shimano MT21, if it matters) and installed a set of the unused cleats that I had in a box. With this new combination I have absolutely no float in the pedals, which is really odd because general CB pedals have an absurd amount of float and I set them up with the maximum float configuration.

    My old shoes had these cleats (the "premium" model, I believe):



    but with the new ones I used these (the basic model, I believe):



    It doesn't seem like that should matter.

    I didn't use the plastic shim. Is it possible that is causing the problem? Maybe there's not enough space between the cleat and the shoe?

    Has anyone else had this issue?

  2. #2
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own those same shoes. I'll bet the tread is contacting the pedal at the same time the cleat locks in due to the way the cleats are recessed. As a result the shoe is firmly locked in place. I'd try the shim underneath.

  3. #3
    Senior Member shouldberiding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek 7.3FX
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incorrect.

    With SPD pedals the amount of float is determined by the type of cleat, of which there are a few different kinds.

    You had the Shimano SH-56 cleat on before, which is a multi-release cleat with float.

    What you have on there now is the SH-50 which is a single release no float cleat.

    You need to purchase either the SH-56 multi-release or the SH-51 lateral release cleat to get float.

  4. #4
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shouldberiding View Post
    You had the Shimano SH-56 cleat on before, which is a multi-release cleat with float.

    What you have on there now is the SH-50 which is a single release no float cleat.

    You need to purchase either the SH-56 multi-release or the SH-51 lateral release cleat to get float.
    Actually both sets of cleats I was using were Crank Brothers. They both came with pedals. I admit the first set, at least, do look very much like the Shimano cleats that you referenced, but I'm pretty sure they're different.

    My plan is to try the shim and see how that goes. If it doesn't take care of the problem, I'll put the old cleats on the new shoes.

  5. #5
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shouldberiding View Post
    Incorrect.

    With SPD pedals the amount of float is determined by the type of cleat, of which there are a few different kinds.

    You had the Shimano SH-56 cleat on before, which is a multi-release cleat with float.

    What you have on there now is the SH-50 which is a single release no float cleat.

    You need to purchase either the SH-56 multi-release or the SH-51 lateral release cleat to get float.
    Actually, your entire post is wrong. He has Crank Brothers Pedals, not Shimanos. He should be using CB cleats not the cleats you specified.

  6. #6
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shouldberiding View Post
    Incorrect.

    With SPD pedals the amount of float is determined by the type of cleat, of which there are a few different kinds.

    You had the Shimano SH-56 cleat on before, which is a multi-release cleat with float.

    What you have on there now is the SH-50 which is a single release no float cleat.

    You need to purchase either the SH-56 multi-release or the SH-51 lateral release cleat to get float.
    Incorrect.

    The cleats you mention look nothing like the cleats in the original post.

    Cool rude and uninformed post, though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mtnwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    My Bikes
    '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo
    Posts
    1,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo_vt View Post
    Incorrect.

    The cleats you mention look nothing like the cleats in the original post.

    Cool rude and uninformed post, though.
    Incorrect.

    The "Cool" part.
    "Of all the things I like bestos, I like asbestos." - A co-worker

  8. #8
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo_vt View Post
    Cool rude and uninformed post, though.
    Nonetheless that might be the problem w/ my new shoes and cleats...

  9. #9
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    All Mod Cons M_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Face down in a snowbank
    My Bikes
    K2 Enemey Cyclocross franken build; Redline D660 29er, Volpe SS Cross
    Posts
    3,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple things.

    Crank brothers have adjustable float depending on which cleat you put in which shoe. I believe the cleat with the dots goes on the right foot to obtain more float, but you might want to double check. It should say in the box your pedals came in.

    Also, crank brothers cleats have a notorious break in period where entry and exit is stiffer than usual. That might be part of the problem.

    Finally, On my shimano shoes I need to use the shims, but not on other shoes I've had. I would probably use them just to be sure nothing bad happens.

    All but the first problem might also cause difficulty in release/entry. Are you experiencing that as well, or just lack of float?

  10. #10
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out I had another set of the premium cleats in my parts drawer, so I went ahead and switched to those while I was putting on the shims.

    This fixed the problem.

    Thanks to everyone who offered their input.

  11. #11
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me my entry/exit problem was just due to one of the cleats being slightly off-square. The lack of float, I don't care about so much as long as I can get in and out when I want to.

  12. #12
    Senior Member shouldberiding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    '08 Trek 7.3FX
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    Actually both sets of cleats I was using were Crank Brothers. They both came with pedals. I admit the first set, at least, do look very much like the Shimano cleats that you referenced, but I'm pretty sure they're different.

    My plan is to try the shim and see how that goes. If it doesn't take care of the problem, I'll put the old cleats on the new shoes.
    Oops! Yeah, I saw the word Shimano in there and flew in on autopilot. Thought because of those extra little wings on there that the second set of cleats meant no float. Glad you were able to solve your problem.

    Oh, and I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry if it came off that way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •