Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-10, 07:55 AM   #1
thdave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
An Amplified Windows-Closed "Get Off the F-ing Road"

I was riding home last night as the sun was setting on a cold, snowy afternoon and I'm near home pedaling along on a 4 lane road that's somewhat busy, I got yelled at by a guy in a monster wheel type Dodge Ram pickup in a bizarre way.

I've been cussed out a half dozen times so I'm that's not the issue. But never in the winter, (I figure) since the cager would have to roll down his window and suck in the cold air. This time was different as this guy was very well prepared. He turned on a PA system that he seemingly directed right at me, and out came the loudest and clearest "get off the f-ing road" I've ever heard--and I was wearing a balaclava! (I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)

This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world. It's redneck heaven for this dude! I hope this isn't standard equipment on new trucks.
thdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:12 AM   #2
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Posts: 15,735
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Ooofa! It's not a good development, that's for sure.

Twice this week (and it's only Wednesday) I've heard muffled things yelled at me from car windows. I can usually go a year or more without anything of this sort, so something must be up. I think it ticks them off to see someone out riding in the cold, though why that would be... the mind fairly boggles.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:13 AM   #3
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world. It's redneck heaven for this dude! I hope this isn't standard equipment on new trucks.
Wow, I'm feeling ripped off. My truck is absent this feature! Maybe its because I have a GMC...made to be "PROFESSIONAL" grade Seriously though, I find this more funny than offensive.
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:18 AM   #4
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world.
Yeah, I've encountered a few of those boys. They've got a new toy and just have to play with it. I guess a car horn just isn't eloquent enough for them.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:20 AM   #5
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 3,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
As I understand the law, in Illinois it's illegal to have a PA in the car unless it's an emerency vehicle. No matter if it's legal to have one, I can't imagine that's a legal use of a PA. Next time I'd get the plate number and call him in. The fact that you know he has a PA is proof he used it....
Mr IGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:20 AM   #6
Fast Cloud
Senior Member
 
Fast Cloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Wow, I'm feeling ripped off. My truck is absent this feature! Maybe its because I have a GMC...made to be "PROFESSIONAL" grade Seriously though, I find this more funny than offensive.
Sorry, but I have to agree here...Maybe it's just the way you described it Dave, but I'm . I'm sure that freaked you out...
Fast Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:26 AM   #7
thdave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Wow, I'm feeling ripped off. My truck is absent this feature! Maybe its because I have a GMC...made to be "PROFESSIONAL" grade Seriously though, I find this more funny than offensive.
At first I was ticked, then I was shaking my head at what I heard but now I'm with you--it is funny.
thdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:59 AM   #8
Pig_Chaser
Senior Member
 
Pig_Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
(I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)
A gloved hand held up will usually be interpreted correctly in this situation.
Pig_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:14 AM   #9
Chris_in_Miami
Senior Member
 
Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser View Post
A gloved hand held up will usually be interpreted correctly in this situation.
Or you could use the international made-for-mittens version...

Chris_in_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:20 AM   #10
thdave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
Or you could use the international made-for-mittens version...

Love it, Chris!

(but I won't risk it in the winter--I might fall going no handed whilst riding on icy streets, which would give untold satisfaction to the monster wheel truck driver)
thdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:58 AM   #11
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not that I'd ever use it for hollering profanities at cyclists, but I've got a PA system hooked up to a toggle on the CB in my Jeep. It's nice to have when you're queued up in a line of traffic and there's some prick who knows the lane he's in has to merge but he's more important than the rest of us so he's zipped up to the head of the queue instead of getting over when the rest of the drivers merged, and he's stuck there trying to nose his $90K Mercedes in front of you. My response to that is to pick up the mic and announce, "Take a look at my Jeep. Does it look like I care if you hit me? I'm not letting you in. You should have queued up like the rest of us. Your Mercedes does not make you any better than us."
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:02 AM   #12
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
Love it, Chris!

(but I won't risk it in the winter--I might fall going no handed whilst riding on icy streets, which would give untold satisfaction to the monster wheel truck driver)
There's always the backhand swept forward under the chin manouvre, which lets you keep one hand on the bars.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:03 AM   #13
poopisnotfood
Senior Member
 
poopisnotfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ran into the trucks with the Train Horns? I darn near shat myself when a truck wailed on it coming up behind me. Evidently the hide the airtanks under their truck somewhere. I was somewhat amused after I made sure I didn't soil myself.
poopisnotfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:20 AM   #14
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Ooofa! It's not a good development, that's for sure.

Twice this week (and it's only Wednesday) I've heard muffled things yelled at me from car windows. I can usually go a year or more without anything of this sort, so something must be up. I think it ticks them off to see someone out riding in the cold, though why that would be... the mind fairly boggles.

It's not a new development--it's retro, usually an option that comes with a Citizen's Band (CB) radio.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 10:33 AM   #15
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopisnotfood View Post
Has anyone ran into the trucks with the Train Horns? I darn near shat myself when a truck wailed on it coming up behind me. Evidently the hide the airtanks under their truck somewhere. I was somewhat amused after I made sure I didn't soil myself.
Ran into? OK, I guess I'll have to admit my hillbilly streak: I have a 125dB twin trumpet air horn on my Jeep, along with the PA speaker.
It's the "Last Resort" horn, and I have it wired to a separate button from my regular horn. The big chrome external train horns usually run off a tanked compressor inside the vehicle, but the little plastic ones you can hide under the hood have a self contained compressor module which installs with them.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 11:42 AM   #16
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,721
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
He musta picked it up at the Mt. Prospect cop surplus auction.

caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 11:49 AM   #17
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM
 
Glynis27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did the Dodge Ram happen to be diesel, navy blue and with exhaust stacks like a semi? Had that guy yell at me last year over his PA, but I couldn't understand anything he said. He even turned around twice so he could pass me 3 times. This was also in Ohio.
Glynis27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 11:54 AM   #18
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
(I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)
This happened to me once... A box truck bearing down on my ass leaning on his horn as I was struggling up a hill in my tank of a winter commuter. When he finally decided to pass me in the wide open lane to his left (wtf?), I held out my mittened hand to him, and I can only assume he knew that I was giving him the finger by my body language
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 12:31 PM   #19
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,692
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
I was riding home last night as the sun was setting on a cold, snowy afternoon and I'm near home pedaling along on a 4 lane road that's somewhat busy, I got yelled at by a guy in a monster wheel type Dodge Ram pickup in a bizarre way.

I've been cussed out a half dozen times so I'm that's not the issue. But never in the winter, (I figure) since the cager would have to roll down his window and suck in the cold air. This time was different as this guy was very well prepared. He turned on a PA system that he seemingly directed right at me, and out came the loudest and clearest "get off the f-ing road" I've ever heard--and I was wearing a balaclava! (I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)

This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world. It's redneck heaven for this dude! I hope this isn't standard equipment on new trucks.
Probably has a CB with a PA feature. Only thing you can do is get an Airzounds to respond in kind.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 12:43 PM   #20
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
I held out my mittened hand to him, and I can only assume he knew that I was giving him the finger by my body language
Intention is everything. I found that with my lobster mitts, I hold up all 3 of my mitted fingers then very deliberately show the driver as I fold down my thumb and pinky/ring finger. Sure, my index and middle finger are extended, but for the intent with a pair of lobster mitts on, that is my middle finger.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 12:50 PM   #21
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My dad had one on his similarly monstered-up Ford (at the time, a '92 F350), and he might still on his '06 F150, but I think he's only used it to harass his children in parking lots.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 01:22 PM   #22
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Probably has a CB with a PA feature. Only thing you can do is get an Airzounds to respond in kind.
You could shoot out a tire and watch him tip over as the tire goes flat.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 01:43 PM   #23
Jtgyk
Senior Member
 
Jtgyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richardson TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Find out what radio station he listens to and follow him around with a "Mr. Microphone" and make comments on his driving and heritage.
__________________
Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
>>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Jtgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 05:49 PM   #24
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I always try to soften the aggression by doffing an imaginary cap.

In the UK, sadly, this is sometimes mistaken for a gesture which implies that the person concerned is a d-ckhead.
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 06:15 PM   #25
neil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
In the UK, sadly, this is sometimes mistaken for a gesture which implies that the person concerned is a d-ckhead.
Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.