Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 550
  1. #451
    Schwinnasaur Schwinnsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    I'm sorry but from what I know about my brakes that isn't true, so I had to do some research to find the answer, I think I have it here: http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html And here: www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter11.pdf‎ (you have to look this up since I can't post a PDF file, but see chapter 11 page 11
    You need to quote what ever from these sources. I did look at them and found nothing counter. You, yourself can understand this and in so doing will need no outside source. Your not changing the brakes or the cantilever distance or the force or pull in the main vertical cable. It is true that the tension in the straddle cable increases as the cable sides become horizontal and lessens as it set more vertical. However the vertical uplift component of that tensile force does not change.

    It is very inexpensive to make a longer straddle cable and see if there is any increase in pull. Empirical method always trumps.

  2. #452
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
    You need to quote what ever from these sources. I did look at them and found nothing counter. You, yourself can understand this and in so doing will need no outside source. Your not changing the brakes or the cantilever distance or the force or pull in the main vertical cable. It is true that the tension in the straddle cable increases as the cable sides become horizontal and lessens as it set more vertical. However the vertical uplift component of that tensile force does not change.

    It is very inexpensive to make a longer straddle cable and see if there is any increase in pull. Empirical method always trumps.
    I know I was having some, howbeit minor issues with the amount of force it took to get my Canti's to stop when applied hard, so after failing at trying to tweak them myself since I never had canti's before so I took it down to the bike shop. They replaced the cables with modern slicker internals, adjusted and lubed the brakes (which I did do), and replaced the straddle cable and explained why just as those sites I listed with the next size smaller, and now they work great and I still have room for larger tires and fenders.

    BUT, after reading your info again the OP can try a longer cable and see what happens, they're cheap and if it works then great and if not so what? he's out $5? no big deal.

  3. #453
    Old. Slow. Happy. MileHighMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    1,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
    That bike is extremely cool...love the bars, design - everything.
    Here's a shot taken in the wild:

    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  4. #454
    Senior Member Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly CC, Trek Earl
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished building my Cross Check PMR. I even have a nice set of VO aluminum fenders to add. I will install them if we ever get any rain out here in California.


  5. #455
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,825
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really like that, Brennan. And if I lived in Oakland, I wouldn't install fenders. Rain isn't that common there, is it?
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  6. #456
    Senior Member Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly CC, Trek Earl
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I really like that, Brennan. And if I lived in Oakland, I wouldn't install fenders. Rain isn't that common there, is it?
    Thanks noglider! Rain is definitely a seasonal thing here. Late spring all the way to late autumn is generally pretty dry. The bulk of our rainfall comes in winter/early spring, and we can get a lot of it during that period. So, I would view fenders as a seasonal item to install/remove twice a year (like snow tires). However, this year's "rainy season" has been the driest in recent memory. The governor officially announced a drought yesterday, so they will start making adjustments to their water management and they are asking residents to reduce use by 20%. The weather has been great for riding (clear and 70-75F this week) but I'm really, really hoping we get a late rally of rainfall long enough to get me to install those fenders!

  7. #457
    Senior Member DIMcyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trying to avoid more red ones...
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been unusually dry here in Portland as well... dry and cold.

    Well- cold for Portland anyway, which of course is still balmy by Rocky Mountain standards.

    Here's a snapshot of my 'PMR' at the builders (TiCycles), my (now refurbished) 650b Panasonic:

    Restoration 02 At TiCycles.jpg

    I'm deeply honored that Dave Levy chose to do the brazing himself rather than delegate it to one of his apprentices.

    Next: paint. Then I get to build a wheelset for it; if I can find a pair in nice shape, I'm thinking maybe Shimano 6400 hubs.
    Last edited by DIMcyclist; 01-20-14 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Grammar; punctuation.
    Trek 820 (650b), Univega Rover 10 (650b), Trek 930, Fuji League, Bridgestone RB-2, Bridgestone XO-3, Soma Smoothie ES, LeMond Buenos Aires, Torelli Corsa Strada

  8. #458
    Junior Member berlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Surly LHT Build.

    Velo Orange pedals, fenders.
    Brooks saddle, bar wrap, toe straps.
    Carradice saddle bag.

    All done myself.

    Get the bike and then build as you can afford. This was all done over 2 years, little by little. Most of the fun is in wanting and dreaming. I could'nt imagine having the same emotional ties to my bike if I rolled out of a shop with it complete like it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.berlun77.com 10 Trek Portland - 88 Bianchi Giro SLX - 89 Schwinn PDG 684 - 06 Lemond Reno - 14 Fuji Gran Fondo - 14 Trek XCaliber 8

  9. #459
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preferences in bicycles has changed considerably in the last few months. I started out preferring agile bikes but with more experience I've come to prefer bikes with more stability. The first step in that direction was a 1995 Trek 820 MTB that I picked up at a pawn shop. Now, the 80's Takara Highlander that I found on Craigslist, along with several test rides on Surly's Karate Monkey and Troll, have convinced me that stable MTB handling is what I actually prefer in a bike.

    My Takara is at the LBS right now getting overhauled and a new chain. I've spent some time riding it as a single-speed (no derailleur cables) and it's an absolute blast to ride. It makes me feel like a kid again. I had moved somewhat away from my awe of RBW's bikes but knowing that stability and a smooth rides are the most consistent comments I hear about them, my interest is growing once more.

    I've also discovered that I really like 26" wheels with 55mm smooth tires. This would steer me back to RBW's Atlantis model. I would like to find out more about the Specialized model that vaultbrad posted higher up on the page. That bike looks remarkably similar in geometry to the Atlantis it's something I might be able to pick up relatively inexpensively.

    Here's the bike that is leading me on a path back toward a Riv'ish bike:

    Highlander.jpgIMG_1708.jpg
    Currently riding a 1995 Trek 730 Multitrack converted to 26" wheels.

  10. #460
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a classy setup, Berlun. Can I ask what kind of saddle-bag holder you have supporting your Carradice? It seems like it is doing a good job of keeping the bag off your wheel, something I've had some issues with on my own ride (I have a Carradice nelson bag).

  11. #461
    Junior Member berlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotourist View Post
    That's a classy setup, Berlun. Can I ask what kind of saddle-bag holder you have supporting your Carradice? It seems like it is doing a good job of keeping the bag off your wheel, something I've had some issues with on my own ride (I have a Carradice nelson bag).
    Thank you cyclo. Believe it or not, I merely went to the home depot hardware section and purchased a 3 foot length of small round rod and bent it into the shape I needed. Actually I bent to the exact shape as the ones for sale. I picked up two wire clamps and clamped it to the seat frame wire. Less than 7 bucks total. It's lasted over 2, 000 miles so far. I don't mind spending money, but some things in this industry are just over priced for what they are.
    Last edited by berlun; 04-01-14 at 12:27 AM. Reason: phone type errors
    www.berlun77.com 10 Trek Portland - 88 Bianchi Giro SLX - 89 Schwinn PDG 684 - 06 Lemond Reno - 14 Fuji Gran Fondo - 14 Trek XCaliber 8

  12. #462
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Willkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berlun View Post
    Thank you cyclo. Believe it or not, I merely went to the home depot hardware section and purchased a 3 foot length of small round rod and bent it into the shape I needed. Actually I bent to the exact shape as the ones for sale. I picked up two wire clamps and clamped it to the seat frame wire. Less than 7 bucks total. It's lasted over 2, 000 miles so far. I don't mind spending money, but some things in this industry are just over priced for what they are.
    If it is not too much to ask, would you be willing to show a few close ups of your bag rack?

    I'm intrigued....
    Just one of those dirty pinko commies some people worry about.

  13. #463
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
    This is my second attempt at making a poor man's Riv. My first attempt is post #356 . Didn't like the upright riding position for a commuter so it was converted back.

    Now I am in need of an upright style bike and so I built this with 650b wheels and Hetre tires. Unfortunately this bike doesn't quite hit the mark. I want the bars a lot higher than the saddle for that sit up and beg position. All the components have bee removed from this frame and in time they will go onto a Riv frame. Just have to find the right one.








    [/URL]
    You built a poor man's Rene Herse - one of the rarest and most sought after porteur bikes in the world. A Rene Herse can go for a small fortune on eBay. Its the classic all-rounder commuter bike and has been regarded as such in France.

  14. #464
    Collector of Useless Info
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not such a "poor man's Rivendell" after totting up the cost of the powdercoating and wheels etc, but here's my 1983 Raleigh "Touring18" with lots of new braze-ons and the cantilever mounts moved to accommodate 650B wheels:





    OOo- I loves me some first-gen Deore!
    Last edited by cycle_maven; 05-16-14 at 10:07 AM.

  15. #465
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle_maven View Post
    Maybe not such a "poor man's Rivendell" after totting up the cost of the powdercoating and wheels etc, but here's my 1983 Raleigh "Touring18" with lots of new braze-ons and the cantilever mounts moved to accommodate 650B wheels:





    OOo- I loves me some first-gen Deore!
    Yours is a porteur bike. You don't have to lust after that Rene Herse. Your bike is a homage to the classic French commuter bike. Well done!

  16. #466
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,507
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mordor ..

  17. #467
    Sheeeee-it! TheDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this count as a poverty Rivendell?


  18. #468
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I think Rivendell I think comfort in long distance
    My first 2 nite camp-out ride along the pacific coast was done on a chrome Voyageur 11.8 Schwinn. The bike was marketed as "sport touring". This is a vague description in today's terms, but back then they nailed (1980).

    After restoring my original 11.8, I picked up this red 11.8 in a nice transaction. It had been converted (easy conversion with down-tube shifters) to high comfort bars, big foam grips, homely large black brake levers - - and the thickest silicone saddle I have ever seen. I took it for a spin at sellers house and felt a bit sheepish for liking such a dorky looking conversion. No more looking down on comfort bikes for me. So I let it simmer at home for a few weeks and went with a mustache bar since it was going unused and a nice knock-off of a BG saddle. In mind was an option of over-nighter or tool around on the trails nearby. Nice features in vintage "sport touring" were the braze-ons, steel and strong, geometry, ______________ fill in the blank. The sport side offered a bit closer geometry to a crit geometry so popular in boomer frames. With the slightly more responsiveness of a sport bike I was able to take off my packs and whip around the local camp site neighborhood for a mini-speed tour. Got to love it for its multiple personalities. I wanted to experiment with handle bar comfort. First I mounted them the normal way with the sway going down. Decided for a more upright - inspired by the sellers conversion so re-mounted the mustache bars in what most would call "upside down". I then pulled some brake levers left from a Kabuki fixed conversion - suicide levers removed. Yea I left the center piece sticking out on the lever out but was able to have that post part facing down and covered w/the hoods. I laid some closed cell foam tube strips around 1/3 of the bar circumference and wrapped it from the dorky foam grips to the stem. Things look pretty thick but I was going for that as an experiment. So now I have my own dorky conversion ready for light touring. It may need some tweaking but DSC06115.jpgDSC06122.JPGDSC06116.jpgDSC06114.jpgDSC06133.jpgDSC06137.jpgDSC06138.jpgfeel so "at home" on a Voyageur 11.8. By the way can someone tell me how to safely remove those posts if you know what I'm talking about? May show it with pack - but first have to figure out what to do about the rear wheel hop.
    Last edited by ItsTimeToBike; 06-25-14 at 06:25 PM.

  19. #469
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsTimeToBike View Post
    When I think Rivendell I think comfort in long distance
    My first 2 nite camp-out ride along the pacific coast was done on a chrome Voyageur 11.8 Schwinn. The bike was marketed as "sport touring". This is a vague description in today's terms, but back then they nailed (1980).

    After restoring my original 11.8, I picked up this red 11.8 in a nice transaction. It had been converted (easy conversion with down-tube shifters) to high comfort bars, big foam grips, homely large black brake levers - - and the thickest silicone saddle I have ever seen. I took it for a spin at sellers house and felt a bit sheepish for liking such a dorky looking conversion. No more looking down on comfort bikes for me. So I let it simmer at home for a few weeks and went with a mustache bar since it was going unused and a nice knock-off of a BG saddle. In mind was an option of over-nighter or tool around on the trails nearby. Nice features in vintage "sport touring" were the braze-ons, steel and strong, geometry, ______________ fill in the blank. The sport side offered a bit closer geometry to a crit geometry so popular in boomer frames. With the slightly more responsiveness of a sport bike I was able to take off my packs and whip around the local camp site neighborhood for a mini-speed tour. Got to love it for its multiple personalities. I wanted to experiment with handle bar comfort. First I mounted them the normal way with the sway going down. Decided for a more upright - inspired by the sellers conversion so re-mounted the mustache bars in what most would call "upside down". I then pulled some brake levers left from a Kabuki fixed conversion - suicide levers removed. Yea I left the center piece sticking out on the lever out but was able to have that post part facing down and covered w/the hoods. I laid some closed cell foam tube strips around 1/3 of the bar circumference and wrapped it from the dorky foam grips to the stem. Things look pretty thick but I was going for that as an experiment. So now I have my own dorky conversion ready for light touring. It may need some tweaking but DSC06115.jpgDSC06122.JPGDSC06116.jpgDSC06114.jpgDSC06133.jpgDSC06137.jpgDSC06138.jpgfeel so "at home" on a Voyageur 11.8. By the way can someone tell me how to safely remove those posts if you know what I'm talking about? May show it with pack - but first have to figure out what to do about the rear wheel hop.
    Nice looking Schwinn, I like the look of the 1/2 chrome forks and stays, those were real gems and still are today. I think they're undervalued in my opinion when I see other bikes going for more money that are just mid level bikes. Anyway, nice bike and it's good to see that you took good care of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs

  20. #470
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks I agree undervalued but if I'm buying I'm not complaining. When it comes time to sell my two Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 bikes which is hopefully many many years away I'll be expecting appreciation and $ to back it up...well maybe not the $ part.

    As for the condition - I cant claim responsibility since I only purchased it last month.

    Now this one below I can take full responsibility for its condition since I've owned her since new (1980) - Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 with full chrome frame option.

    DSC04032 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by ItsTimeToBike; 06-29-14 at 11:14 PM.

  21. #471
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My Bikes
    They have two wheels!
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  22. #472
    Senior Member Northwestrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Posts
    2,122
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought was a Surly LHT, and it looks like many have said the same well before me.

  23. #473
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, done on the cheap. I imagine it might ride like an Atlantis.rps20140629_150615.jpg

  24. #474
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,825
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ItsTimeToBike, nice bike. I just tuned up someone's 11.8. I had a pleasant time. It's really built. Schwinn and Panasonic had an admirable partnership.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  25. #475
    Collector of Useless Info
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M0thra- very nice bike. I imagine it would ride like an Atlantis as well...

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •