Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-10, 05:26 AM   #1
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you all commute from?

I'm fairly new, and fairly curious--where do you all commute? What states, cities are represented? Is your commute mostly urban, suburban or rural? I commute in NYC. I ride from Queens to Lower Manhattan--about 7.5 miles each way. Feel free to go into detail.
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 05:50 AM   #2
Absenth
Senior Member
 
Absenth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fishers, In
Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I commute from Fishers Indiana (north east suburb of Indianapolis) to Fortville Indiana, a east northeast suburb of Indianapolis.

My route starts out residential, and at around the 3 mile mark turns almost completely rural. It's nice that the highway I ride in on was just re-paved, and they paved a 4' wide shoulder into both sides of the road. Here's my route: http://tinyurl.com/28tuoye

Once you turn onto Greenfield Ave. it's all rural. Although most of 126th street is pretty open as well.
Absenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:03 AM   #3
vtjim
Belt drive!
 
vtjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Colchester Vermont to Burlington Vermont. 6.5 miles one-way. Begins suburban, goes to lakeside MUP (bike path) through woods and more suburbia, with nice views of the Adirondack Mountains beyond Lake Champlain to the west. Ends up in downtown Burlington, Vermont's largest city (not saying much.) I don't take it for granted at all. It's a nice ride.
vtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:07 AM   #4
azesty
Hot in China
 
azesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: China
Bikes: Giant Lava
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well there are a few international members, not just stuck-at-home Americans. I do try hard to stay away from stereotypes, but you are making it difficult....

Sichuan province, riding from crowded suburbs, to the outskirts of Chengdu.

z
azesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:17 AM   #5
jhhall
SkreaminQuadz
 
jhhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Falls Church, VA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Prophet 1000, 2006 Litespeed Teramo, 2007 Bianchi San Jose, 2007 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I commute from Falls Church, VA to Arlington, VA - roughly 6.6 miles each way. I ride on a MUP for 4.5 miles of it and bike lanes for the remainder. Very easy and mostly flat commute.
jhhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:17 AM   #6
Kotts
Recreational Commuter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Bikes: Two brand-less build-ups.
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the northermost suburbs of Columbus, Ohio to downtown and back. About 28 miles round trip. Come in in the morning right down the main North-South surface street, very little traffic, so I pretty much have a lane to myself. Come home either mostly by MUP (pleaseant ride), or up back streeets, depending on whether I need to save a few minutes (faster, but not as much fun).
Kotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:17 AM   #7
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absenth View Post
I commute from Fishers Indiana (north east suburb of Indianapolis) to Fortville Indiana, a east northeast suburb of Indianapolis.

My route starts out residential, and at around the 3 mile mark turns almost completely rural. It's nice that the highway I ride in on was just re-paved, and they paved a 4' wide shoulder into both sides of the road. Here's my route: http://tinyurl.com/28tuoye

Once you turn onto Greenfield Ave. it's all rural. Although most of 126th street is pretty open as well.
Looks like a beautiful, peaceful ride--very nice. Appreciate the link. Seems like you don't have much trouble finding space on the road--is that true?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:23 AM   #8
Absenth
Senior Member
 
Absenth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fishers, In
Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihu23 View Post
Looks like a beautiful, peaceful ride--very nice. Appreciate the link. Seems like you don't have much trouble finding space on the road--is that true?
That's correct. Very little traffic on the majority of the commute. The only part that still makes me nervous is the short stint on Olio road (the first North south bit) as it's two lanes at 45mph, with most drivers doing 50+ and I need to turn left across the works. Of course at 6am or so it's not much of a problem at all.
Absenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:28 AM   #9
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azesty View Post
Well there are a few international members, not just stuck-at-home Americans. I do try hard to stay away from stereotypes, but you are making it difficult....

Sichuan province, riding from crowded suburbs, to the outskirts of Chengdu.

z
Sorry. Like I said I'm new here and I didn't realize there were so many international members. However, I am curious about what it is like for cyclists outside the US. Are bicycles considered mainstream transportation or not? Are there any accommodations made for them? Are they still on the bottom of the transportation totem pole?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:36 AM   #10
bwhite829
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i start my commute in a rural area of pensacola, fl called beulah, fl. the short way takes me straight up the hwy into the outskirts of the city, but the safer way, which is the way i go, takes me about 2-3 more miles, goes all the way through rural and suburban area.
bwhite829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:37 AM   #11
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
From the northermost suburbs of Columbus, Ohio to downtown and back. About 28 miles round trip. Come in in the morning right down the main North-South surface street, very little traffic, so I pretty much have a lane to myself. Come home either mostly by MUP (pleaseant ride), or up back streeets, depending on whether I need to save a few minutes (faster, but not as much fun).
You've got a long ride. Guess you've been riding a long time. What does MUP stand for? Do you have showers at work? I've been to Cleveland, Akron and Canton, Ohio--what is Columbus like? Do they make accommodations for cyclists? Is there a big difference between your suburban and urban ride?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 06:39 AM   #12
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The link to my ride: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=14&lci=bike
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 07:38 AM   #13
benda18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My place to work - Lebanon, OH to Ft. Wright, KY - usually take a bus for 30 of 45 miles

Girlfriend's place to work - Cincinnati, OH to Ft. Wright, KY
benda18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:09 AM   #14
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<-- place: what it says there

We have pretty good cycling infrastructure. I believe all new street construction and planning projects must include a grade separated MUP running along the street. It's been like that for decades already, I think. Existing streets are upgraded wherever possible. There are maybe 10 citycenters in the whole country so old and tightly built there's no space for the required MUPs. I've seen some creative designs in those areas, not all of them work well.

In addition to MUPs along the streets, most municipalities build additional MUPs to connect places more directly than existing street network. All city buildings are legally obliged to have "adequate" provisions for bike parking. All new shopping centres that I've seen have plenty of rack space. In downtown areas there are several bike parking spots with proper racks. Our railway operator is working towards making multi-modal commutes easier, by providing secure parking for bikes. They have reasonable or good bike racks in most stations already, but I wouldn't leave a good bike there for all day.

For long distance, it's fairly easy to just toss your bike into a bus (no racks) or train (limited space). Our local buses don't take bikes anymore, citing "security reasons".

Where I work, we have maybe 250+ employees and rack space for about 30 bikes. In summer, racks are full to capacity. In winter, not so much.

--J
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:27 AM   #15
stockholm
Just a commuter
 
stockholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Bikes: Scott Metrix 20 for commuting, Specialized Dolce Elite for fun
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live on Söder, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe and work just across the Årsta bridge some 3-4 km away. When I'm up for it (and when I'm less pregnant) I go the long way home or there.

Plenty of people use their bikes all year round, but yeah -- there's an significant increase as the light and warmth returns each spring. I'd say at my office, maybe 20-30% or so commute by bike all year, and we can all store our bikes in a locked garage along with the cars. Bicyclists and bikes are considered normal and healthy in general, but obviously in downtown Stockholm, there's a war going on between buses, commuters, cars, and hipsters and messengers... (We're doing our best channeling NYC, for some reason
stockholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:35 AM   #16
TrekFix
Senior Member
 
TrekFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I start form Macomb Township, MI (northern suburb of Detroit) and 16 miles later end at work in Rochester Hills, MI (not really all that hilly) Half of my commute is on busy roads in suburbia and the other half is on an old rail trail.
TrekFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:39 AM   #17
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member
 
JPprivate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride on a MUP for a big section of my commute starting in the city, then on some residential streets in a nearby suburb.
JPprivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:40 AM   #18
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I commute from Winchester VA to the heart of DC.

Bi-modal commute, drive 50 miles with the bikke on a rack, park the car and start riding what is now an additional 28 miles on the W&OD/Custis trail and DC city streets. Then reverse in the evening.

I do drive-by's and throw rocks at jhhalls house when I'm bored. He's still trying to figure out what the noise is at 5am
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:45 AM   #19
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso
 
ChrisO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitsap
Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Downtown Bremerton, WA north out to the submarine base. This is a quiet, hilly-ish ride through rural to suburban landscapes over a couple bridges, along the Tracyton waterfront, through Silverdale, and onto the Clear Creek Trail (MUP). I only see maybe a dozen or so motor vehicles on the way in (4:30am-ish) and moderate traffic on the afternoon ride home. All in all it's a really nice commute, 15.85 miles each way.
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:03 AM   #20
azesty
Hot in China
 
azesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: China
Bikes: Giant Lava
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elihu23 View Post
Sorry. Like I said I'm new here and I didn't realize there were so many international members. However, I am curious about what it is like for cyclists outside the US. Are bicycles considered mainstream transportation or not? Are there any accommodations made for them? Are they still on the bottom of the transportation totem pole?
Here are a couple of threads about biking in China

Traffic in China

Commuting in China

Nothing like shamelessly plugging one's own threads

z
azesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:04 AM   #21
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockholm View Post
I live on Söder, Stockholm, Sweden, Europe and work just across the Årsta bridge some 3-4 km away. When I'm up for it (and when I'm less pregnant) I go the long way home or there.

Plenty of people use their bikes all year round, but yeah -- there's an significant increase as the light and warmth returns each spring. I'd say at my office, maybe 20-30% or so commute by bike all year, and we can all store our bikes in a locked garage along with the cars. Bicyclists and bikes are considered normal and healthy in general, but obviously in downtown Stockholm, there's a war going on between buses, commuters, cars, and hipsters and messengers... (We're doing our best channeling NYC, for some reason
God bless you and the baby to come! Seems that you have a nice healthy bicycle environment. I can certainly relate to the traffic wars. I try not to engage on the road. I try to be like water, I see a crack in the traffic and I fill it. If a truck wants to pass, I move with the wave. It's the buses thatI find unreasonable--a menace to cyclist and motorist alike. Who's winning the argument over there?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:05 AM   #22
Justin J
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My commute is a accross the southern suburbs of Denver. About a mile along a busy street with excellent bike lanes to get to the bike path, then about six miles on the path next a state highway, then another mile through an office park. 8 miles total, and about 50 minutes (more when windy). Can't think of a better way to get a good work out twice a day, every day.
Justin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:11 AM   #23
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azesty View Post
Here are a couple of threads about biking in China

Traffic in China

Commuting in China

Nothing like shamelessly plugging one's own threads

z
A bike lane 10m wide! That's a sight to see! Take a picture and post it. It seems these are shared with pedestrians, is it a boardwalk of some kind or actually meant as a bike lane? Is the Petrol bike ban working?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:16 AM   #24
elihu23
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
I commute from Winchester VA to the heart of DC.

Bi-modal commute, drive 50 miles with the bikke on a rack, park the car and start riding what is now an additional 28 miles on the W&OD/Custis trail and DC city streets. Then reverse in the evening.

I do drive-by's and throw rocks at jhhalls house when I'm bored. He's still trying to figure out what the noise is at 5am
Is that better than using the metro? Is it expensive? I know parking in DC is a pain, or so I've been told. I wnated to visit, but lack of parking is a problem. Is the ride a dangerous one?
elihu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:17 AM   #25
bmt074
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Somerville, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live just outside of Boston, MA- my communte is Somerville to Cambridge. Only 2.5 miles in but I have a lots of options to lengthen my ride home - looping around the Charles River for about 10 miles home or combining the Harborwalk trail (coastal Boston) with the Charles for about 23 miles. I can also combine the Charles River with the Minuteman Trail (Somerville - Bedford back and forth) for about 40 miles.

There are a few other trails I want to try.
bmt074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.