Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-10, 07:23 AM   #51
RobertFrapples
all-weather commuter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Graham Cycles Kilo-Graham all season fat bike, and a few others
Posts: 314
ATM: yes, fast food: no

I regularly bike through the ATM lane at my bank. I have never had a problem. The ATM machine works just as well for a cyclist as for a driver.

Fast food ordering systems, however, do not always work for bicycles. At the fast food place I worked at, the speakers and microphones were activated by an induction loop under the pavement. Occasionally people would come through on bicycles, on foot, and in wheelchairs. We could see them on the monitor but could not hear them nor talk to them. Often times they would get irate and storm into the store or they would refuse to move and hold up traffic and we would have to go out and explain to them why it would not work. They usually did not believe us and got more irate until we threatened to call the police if they did not leave.
RobertFrapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:35 AM   #52
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
 
wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Bikes: Huffy and Pacific
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovestew View Post
I find it somewhat disturbing that they would actually have a corporate policy on this.
Those of us who live in America have this thing called lawsuits. When you're at the drive up ATM, you're in private property. What if some drunk guy pulls up behind you and flattens you? You're left being a vegetable the rest of your life and I'm sure you'll want to be compensated, correct? You sue the driver, who doesn't have auto insurance, is on welfare and spends his foodstamp money on PBRs & cigarettes.

Let me take a wild guess who you're going to sue next. See the reason behind the corporate policy?
wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:40 AM   #53
truman
It's true, man.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Texas
Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
Posts: 2,726
I ride up to the drive-up atm often.

I would welcome commentary on that fact by drivers who feel I might be inconveniencing them - particularly ones who quote made-up rules to justify it - but that hasn't happened at all.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:43 AM   #54
colleen c
I am a caffine girl
Thread Starter
 
colleen c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807 View Post
The only time I've come close to being refused service at a drive through was at a 24 hr Burger King after the lobby area was closed... After the manager told me that I would NOT get service there I said "Look, my wife is PMS'ing and wants a chocolate shake. You want me to send HER down here to get it?" I got the chocolate shake post-haste.

I've used the drive up ATM at various banks numerous times on foot and on bike (most recently just last night) and never had anyone say anything about it.
Is it not Bugur King who has the slogan "Have it your way" ? LOL
colleen c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:44 AM   #55
making
Super Moderator
 
making's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Bikes: Road bike
Posts: 2,528
I did not read all the post, but Ihave used an ATM recently on my bicycle and did not even think about it. Easier to do even.
__________________
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
making is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 07:46 AM   #56
colleen c
I am a caffine girl
Thread Starter
 
colleen c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeldeal View Post
Those of us who live in America have this thing called lawsuits. When you're at the drive up ATM, you're in private property. What if some drunk guy pulls up behind you and flattens you? You're left being a vegetable the rest of your life and I'm sure you'll want to be compensated, correct? You sue the driver, who doesn't have auto insurance, is on welfare and spends his foodstamp money on PBRs & cigarettes.

Let me take a wild guess who you're going to sue next. See the reason behind the corporate policy?
That make sense. Also the fact that cyclist is harder to see may raise the issue of getting hit from behind at the drive thru window.

Last edited by colleen c; 07-22-10 at 07:49 AM.
colleen c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:12 AM   #57
xtrajack
xtrajack
 
xtrajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maine
Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
Posts: 2,056
In the state of Maine, a person on a bicycle may use the drive thru at any business. However, you do so at your own risk, negating the liability issues referenced above by a previous poster.
http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Bike-...e_Bicycle_Laws
xtrajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 08:39 AM   #58
Hyperspeeder
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 29
No, I prefer to use the walk-up ATM.
Hyperspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 09:03 AM   #59
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider
 
khutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Suburban Chicago
Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeldeal View Post
Those of us who live in America have this thing called lawsuits. When you're at the drive up ATM, you're in private property. What if some drunk guy pulls up behind you and flattens you? You're left being a vegetable the rest of your life and I'm sure you'll want to be compensated, correct? You sue the driver, who doesn't have auto insurance, is on welfare and spends his foodstamp money on PBRs & cigarettes.

Let me take a wild guess who you're going to sue next. See the reason behind the corporate policy?
The drunk is probably driving the biggest SUV made so he could flatten me in my modest sized car as well, not to mention the "smart car" and other tiny car drivers. Plus if I parked my bike and walked into the bank the drunk would flatten me on his way in or out as I walked across the parking lot. Nice try, but this argument does not justify rules against bike use of drive-thru ATMs or teller stations. McDonalds restaurants in my (our, if your Elmhurst is the Chicago suburb) area do exclude walkup customers from their drive-thru lanes, I don't know about bicycles. If their system depends on inductive loops to detect the presence of a customer at the ordering station this make some sense. On the other hand if you can see the loop to position your wheels optimally and your bike will trigger it they won't know you are not a car when they answer to take your order and I suspect they won't refuse to take your money when you get up to the delivery window!

Ken
khutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 11:21 AM   #60
sggoodri
Senior Member
 
sggoodri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cary, NC
Bikes: 1983 Trek, 2001 Lemond, 2000 Gary Fisher
Posts: 3,073
I bike up to the drive-through ATM all the time. My closest bank branch office doesn't have a walk-up ATM.

I've waited in line with traffic for the ATM but rarely is there more than one other customer there. Drivers who wait behind me usually stay way back.

I also bike up to pharmacy drive-thrus without any problems to speak of. I don't use fast food drive thrus on the bike because I'd rather walk in. One exception, when I didn't have my lock with me after a long road ride, resulted in the drive-through window operator saying "We don't serve bikes." I said, "The bike isn't hungry." She scowled at me but took my order. I think she realized that I stank, and so keeping me outside was a service to her other customers.
sggoodri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 02:39 PM   #61
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,967
The Drive-up ATM is probably fine, but the regular drive through banking stations may not be. after using these a couple of times, they told me through the speaker that I was not allowed to use these stations on my bike, that I had to come inside. probably a policy based on fear of lawsuits.
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 05:03 PM   #62
Brian T.
Senior Member
 
Brian T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '08 Schwinn Super Sport "Betty, '09 Trek 1.2 "Veronica"
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2create View Post
Sure I do, why not???
I use the drive up full serve tellers, too.
Yep. I asked at my bank and they said ,"No problem". So, what the hell?
Brian T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 05:59 PM   #63
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,859
ATMs are one place a recumbent has a natural advantage over a diamond frame bike. You can sit down and do your banking just like a motorist.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 06:23 PM   #64
tim24k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW
Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!
Posts: 529
I use drive up ATM/teller windows all the time on my bicycle and to my knowledge no one has given a second thought about it, including myself.
tim24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 06:48 PM   #65
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
I have used an ATM on bike once or twice. However, I mostly get cash from the "cash back" feature at the grocery store. No need for an extra trip to the bank.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 11:40 PM   #66
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane
 
MilitantPotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx
Posts: 802
This needs to be posted on twitter.
There's a website for silly stuff like this.
http://therealfirstworldproblems.tumblr.com/
MilitantPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 01:44 AM   #67
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
That's kinda like the Santa Cruz bank robber who uses his bike as a getaway car.


I tried that one time ...
It is sometimes good to consider how your post will look when someone clicks on "Reply With Quote".
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 05:19 AM   #68
colleen c
I am a caffine girl
Thread Starter
 
colleen c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
It is sometimes good to consider how your post will look when someone clicks on "Reply With Quote".
Oops and Duh, how embarassing of me. Good catch on that one. I keep forgetting how this bulletin board does not nest other quote but just my quote when a Reply with quote is used.

I guess I'll have to take a Fifth when the enforcement come knocking at my door.
colleen c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 08:49 PM   #69
bhchdh 
Senior Member
 
bhchdh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hampton Roads VA
Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '92 Trek Multitrack 700
Posts: 1,743
I bike to the drive up ATMs at three branches of my bank regularly. I've never considered that it might be a problem.
__________________
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
bhchdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:13 PM   #70
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
 
wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Bikes: Huffy and Pacific
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by khutch View Post
The drunk is probably driving the biggest SUV made so he could flatten me in my modest sized car as well, not to mention the "smart car" and other tiny car drivers. Plus if I parked my bike and walked into the bank the drunk would flatten me on his way in or out as I walked across the parking lot. Nice try, but this argument does not justify rules against bike use of drive-thru ATMs or teller stations.
Nice try, but my observation does justify why a corporate institution wouldn't want any unnecessary liability. I would rather lose ONE customer than to alter my corporate policy to accommodate a tiny portion of the public who chooses a bicycle as their main mode of transportation (who is stubborn enough to threaten to never do business with me again even though I provide other alternatives to your banking needs....aka walk through the front door).

Let me play along with your story. If a drunk driver is driving a Hummer H2 and will be rear ending me at 20mph, would I want to be:
A - in a modest sized car
B - a "Smart Car"
C - on a bicycle

Note: If you haven't noticed, answers A & B will provide you with protection in the form of a steel cage. You will be surrounded by a steel cage with crumple zones. This steel cage weighs roughly 2,000lbs.

Answer C provides me with protection in the form of a helmet & bicycle fingerless gloves. At least when I rode a motorized bike, I have knee sliders, elbow, shoulder, chest/kidney protection. But I still wouldn't want to be rear ended at 20mph.

In response to your comment about getting flattened by a drunk driver on your way to the bank, it has nothing to do with your choice of being a cyclist. A pedestrian can be flattened just as easily. I don't see your point.

Last edited by wheeldeal; 07-23-10 at 09:18 PM.
wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:44 PM   #71
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Bikes:
Posts: 5,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeldeal View Post
Nice try, but my observation does justify why a corporate institution wouldn't want any unnecessary liability. I would rather lose ONE customer than to alter my corporate policy to accommodate a tiny portion of the public who chooses a bicycle as their main mode of transportation (who is stubborn enough to threaten to never do business with me again even though I provide other alternatives to your banking needs....aka walk through the front door).
I've seen this justification a lot, but I still don't buy the validity of it. A number of years ago the LAB/LAW (League of American Bicyclists) had an article on this issue in their magazine. They checked with a number of companies that didn't allow cyclists to use the drive-up and were told repeatedly that it was because of liability concerns so their insurance carrier insisted on it. The reporter then got the names of the insurance carriers and asked them for their policy on it and discovered that not a single one had any objection to cyclists in the drive-ups.

I've run into the same situation with bike clubs that require use of helmets. Some are upfront that it was just a policy decision made by them, but others pass the buck to insurance company requirements. But the main carrier used by bike clubs has no requirement for helmet use on club rides nor does their suggested waiver form even mention helmets. While I can't know if there might be some other insurance company that does have a mandatory helmet policy, I have yet to hear of one.

I'd also note that there's a big difference between being able to sue and being successful. Unless the business was pretty clearly negligent in some way in the design of their drive-up area I would expect a jury to place the entire fault on the driver who ran into the cyclist and not assign any blame to the business. I've been on a couple juries and at least in those cases we deliberated very thoughtfully before reaching a decision.

As to the original question, I've used both ATMs and drive-up tellers (back before ATMs) while cycling. Only had a problem at one bank with the drive-up tellers - after that they were no longer our bank.

Last edited by prathmann; 07-23-10 at 09:48 PM.
prathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 09:16 AM   #72
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider
 
khutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Suburban Chicago
Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeldeal View Post
In response to your comment about getting flattened by a drunk driver on your way to the bank, it has nothing to do with your choice of being a cyclist. A pedestrian can be flattened just as easily. I don't see your point.
But that is my point. The bank already has many pedestrians in its parking lot who are exposed to the drunk driver as they enter and leave the bank building. The fact that I am on a bicycle in a different part of the same facility exposes me and the bank to zero extra risk so there is no reason to prohibit cyclists from using the drive up facility. The drunk could be anywhere since the drunk may not have intended to visit the bank at all and is just as likely to use the walk in as the drive up if he/she did. There is simply no way to predict what a drunk will do or where the drunk will be when the accident occurs. The drunk might drive right into the crowded lobby of the building! I think I am actually somewhat safer at the ATM since the lane is narrow and the drunk could easily ram the lane dividers or the teller machines instead of me! At one bank I frequently use the ATM lane is the first of several lanes that angle sharply off the access lane immediately after a sharp curve. It requires a sober driver to use all their skill and attention to reach that ATM, there is nearly zero chance of a drunk doing it.

I think that fast food restaurants (and banks) are much more justified in excluding pedestrians at their drive up windows. Pedestrians follow no rules and can appear suddenly from behind structures or parked cars when they try to use facilities that are not designed to accommodate them. Cyclists are completely different. We use the facility in the same way an automobile or motorcycle would use it. We follow the traffic rules as well as the drivers of those vehicles do and are just as predictable as they are. In the tight confines of this type of facility with sharp access turns and short straight portions we don't even proceed at a lower rate of speed than they do. So we do not inconvenience them by being there except by being ahead of them in line and that is an inconvenience they have no legitimate reason to complain about. There simply is no reason, insurance risk or otherwise, to exclude us. I say don't patronize a bank that does not want us.

Ken
khutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 03:07 AM   #73
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
 
wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Bikes: Huffy and Pacific
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
I'd also note that there's a big difference between being able to sue and being successful. Unless the business was pretty clearly negligent in some way in the design of their drive-up area I would expect a jury to place the entire fault on the driver who ran into the cyclist and not assign any blame to the business. I've been on a couple juries and at least in those cases we deliberated very thoughtfully before reaching a decision.
I agree with you 110% here. However, it's unfortunate that being sued (even if the plaintiff isn't successful) = lots of $$$ spent on legal fees (defense attorneys normally don't work for free). Prosecutors, on the other hand, have more options regarding charging legal fees.
wheeldeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 12:44 AM   #74
My1stRoadBike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 77
HA!
The Roseville Police Department needs help identifying a man who robbed two banks located inside Sunrise Avenue grocery stores over the past two months.
At around noon on May 14, the man robbed River City Bank inside the Bel Air supermarket (1039 Sunrise Avenue). He was spotted riding away on a mountain bike.
At about 1:45 p.m. on June 22, the same man robbed the U.S. Bank branch inside Safeway (898 Sunrise Avenue). In both robberies, the suspect gave the teller a note demanding money. No weapon was seen, and no one reported being injured during either robbery.

I use the Atm Drive thru if its open I dont Give a dam. Only takes me 15 mins to get there!
My1stRoadBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:35 AM   #75
seenoweevil
invisible friend
 
seenoweevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Decatur, Alabama
Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
I've used the drive up teller window @ my credit union before. No one even batted an eye.
Same here. A couple of times on Saturday morning with 4 lanes lined up around the building. No comments, maybe some curious looks.
seenoweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.