Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member 12bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Central FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trailer Observations

    I recently acquired a Burley Travoy trailer for hauling my camera gear around local parks and such. I decided to ride my 29er to work the other day and used the trailer on my commute. The interesting observation was cars seem to be far more courteous and patient with the trailer in tow. Maybe I just caught the right alignment of the stars or something but the difference was noticeable. I am going to try it again today with a different bike and see if I have the same experience, lets hope so. On a side note the trailer is great I barely even know it's there.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

    11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

  2. #2
    Allez means go. bengreen79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Two Rivers, WI
    Posts
    823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep they do, probably because they think you have small children in tow.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, most road ragers will not punish children for their parent's "stupidity".

    If you want drivers to be really courteous try wearing dark sunglasses and tapping a cane in front of you while riding.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that most folks assume that drivers are using the street for "serious" purposes (e.g., getting to work, shopping, taking the kids to soccer, going to the hospital, or even getting to the golf course). In contrast, I think that many people assume someone riding a bicycle is using the street for their sport and thus deserves less respect than a "serious" user. When you are pulling a trailer, I suspect that you look like a serious road user to these folks -- just like people who are using their cars. Consequently some drivers may treat you with more respect because they see you as a legitimate road user rather than as someone who is, in their mind, playing in the street.

  5. #5
    Often on Fritz DanBraden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plainsboro, NJ
    My Bikes
    Franken-Fritz
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snorkel View Post
    Yeah, most road ragers will not punish children for their parent's "stupidity".

    If you want drivers to be really courteous try wearing dark sunglasses and tapping a cane in front of you while riding.
    Thanks for making me spray coffee all over my keyboard, please PM me your address so that I may bill you.

    I've toyed with the idea of using a kiddie trailer to haul supplies in, I always figured the added weight wasn't worth the possible consideration I may receive from automobilers. Is anyone who uses one of these trailers willing to weigh in on pros and cons?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBraden View Post
    Thanks for making me spray coffee all over my keyboard, please PM me your address so that I may bill you.

    I've toyed with the idea of using a kiddie trailer to haul supplies in, I always figured the added weight wasn't worth the possible consideration I may receive from automobilers. Is anyone who uses one of these trailers willing to weigh in on pros and cons?
    Since our daughter outgrew the trailer, it has been in use for getting the weekly groceries. With a hundred pounds of groceries aboard, the twenty pounds or so of trailer weight is trivial. Since finding a car parking spot at the place I like to shop would require a tow truck, taking the bike and trailer has a big general advantage. The specific advantages of the trailer for hauling stuff are as follows:

    1 You can carry a lot more stuff this way.
    2 Unlike a cargo bike, you can leave the cargo portion at home when you don't need the capacity.
    3 The trailer is easy to load -- just toss the bags in. No thinking required.
    4 There is no effect upon bike handling, unlike panniers, baskets, etc.

    Notes:

    The trailer is wide enough that you may have to take the lane more often than you would normally on narrow roads.
    An empty trailer is very wind sensitive. Gusts of 30 mph and above will often flip the thing upside down. This causes wear on the fabric top.

    Paul

  7. #7
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been times when I ride with my BOB overloaded through downtown, just so I can see people turn and stare when they see someone riding with a table and chairs in tow. I don't know if I get respect, but I have gotten some looks of admiration from little kids, and that's always worthwhile.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a utility trailer that I use for groceries, errands etc. (Cycletote, I love it), I have the same experience, even though by the design of the trailer it is clear that it doesn't have any kids in it.

  9. #9
    Very, very Senior Member JPprivate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Since our daughter outgrew the trailer, it has been in use for getting the weekly groceries. With a hundred pounds of groceries aboard, the twenty pounds or so of trailer weight is trivial. Since finding a car parking spot at the place I like to shop would require a tow truck, taking the bike and trailer has a big general advantage. The specific advantages of the trailer for hauling stuff are as follows:

    1 You can carry a lot more stuff this way.
    2 Unlike a cargo bike, you can leave the cargo portion at home when you don't need the capacity.
    3 The trailer is easy to load -- just toss the bags in. No thinking required.
    4 There is no effect upon bike handling, unlike panniers, baskets, etc.

    Notes:

    The trailer is wide enough that you may have to take the lane more often than you would normally on narrow roads.
    An empty trailer is very wind sensitive. Gusts of 30 mph and above will often flip the thing upside down. This causes wear on the fabric top.

    Paul

    Interesting. Thanks for that. I don't know much about it, but one concern I had was whether you had to be worried about potentially getting flat in two more tires. Is that a ligitimate concern? Did you ever get a flat on your trailer wheels?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one I picked up on a trade for a Jogging stroller.

    I stripped the slats off an aluminum pallet at work that I plan to beef up the floor with so a cooler will be stable in it for the cold goods. I also have the stroller wheel and push bar and the plan was to use it as my shopping cart when in the store so it will be loaded as I leave.
    Had it for nearly 2 years but cant convince the wife to take the bikes. We normally buy for 2 weeks at a time and have the kids in tow. She want s not part of that parade.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •