Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-10, 11:42 AM   #1
dchsueh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, ON area
Bikes: 2010 Globe Live 2
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gates belt drive riders - removing/replacing rear wheel on the road

Hello,

I'd like to hear from people who ride a Gates carbon drive bicycle. Question is if you find the belt to be a hassle for changing flats or removing / replacing the wheel, given the belt cannot be twisted or mistreated for fear of breaking some of the carbon fibers.

For flats I'd prefer just to swap a new tube in and patch holes at a table rather than at the road side. This requires taking the wheel off the frame, and when replacing the wheel, you need to ensure the belt is positioned and tensioned correctly, all without overbending or twisting the belt.

Anybody carry and use the Gates belt tension gauge around to check your belt?

Thanks.

Last edited by dchsueh; 07-23-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: title adjustment
dchsueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 01:03 PM   #2
coldfeet
Senior Member
 
coldfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jumping on your thread here, those riders with belt drive, have any of you got significant miles on them? like 5,000+ miles?
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 02:29 PM   #3
vautrain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Motobecane Century Ti Ultegra/Dura Ace, Trek District Carbon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only have a couple of hundred miles on this bike, but I had the same question. Apparently it's no problem to pop the rear wheel on and off. The tension is set by the position of the removable dropouts, not by the position of the rear wheel. There is no need to loosen the tension at the dropouts when removing the rear wheel, just loosen the skewer and pop the wheel off. It makes sense when you look at the arrangement, but I don't know if it's really that simple in the real world, as I haven't tried it yet. Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trek District LG..jpg (96.2 KB, 39 views)
vautrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:05 PM   #4
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Um...I think you have to take out your multitool and unscrew some stuff to physically open a hole in the frame to get the rear wheel off, don't you?
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:20 PM   #5
vautrain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Motobecane Century Ti Ultegra/Dura Ace, Trek District Carbon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Um...I think you have to take out your multitool and unscrew some stuff to physically open a hole in the frame to get the rear wheel off, don't you?
No. Why would you think that? You don't have to take the chain off when you fix a rear flat on a chain-driven bicycle. You don't have to remove the belt on this bike just to remove the rear wheel.
vautrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:58 PM   #6
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vautrain View Post
No. Why would you think that? You don't have to take the chain off when you fix a rear flat on a chain-driven bicycle. You don't have to remove the belt on this bike just to remove the rear wheel.
Because that's the reason you can't slap a belt drive system on a traditional frame - you need to be able to break the frame (you know, open a gap in it at the back, not really "break" it) to change the belt.

If you wanted to put a whole new tube on there, wouldn't you also have to "break" the frame to remove the rear wheel?
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 04:11 PM   #7
vautrain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Motobecane Century Ti Ultegra/Dura Ace, Trek District Carbon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Because that's the reason you can't slap a belt drive system on a traditional frame - you need to be able to break the frame (you know, open a gap in it at the back, not really "break" it) to change the belt.

If you wanted to put a whole new tube on there, wouldn't you also have to "break" the frame to remove the rear wheel?
I took a photo for you, but it might be best to go take a look at it in person. You need to be able to break the frame open, but *only* if you need to remove the belt. No need to remove the belt when removing the rear wheel, just like you don't need to remove a chain just to remove the rear wheel on a chain-driven bike. The belt will come off the rear cog and hang on the chainstay exactly like a chain does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trek District dro.jpg (97.1 KB, 44 views)
vautrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 04:21 PM   #8
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vautrain View Post
I took a photo for you, but it might be best to go take a look at it in person. You need to be able to break the frame open, but *only* if you need to remove the belt. No need to remove the belt when removing the rear wheel, just like you don't need to remove a chain just to remove the rear wheel on a chain-driven bike. The belt will come off the rear cog and hang on the chainstay exactly like a chain does.
You know, I assumed that since I had to remove the chain/belt from the wheel to get it off the frame "break" thing would be required to remove the wheel...but what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Huh.

Well - thanks for replying and posting the pic! :-) What you're saying makes a lot of sense...looks like I was wrong.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 04:37 PM   #9
vautrain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Motobecane Century Ti Ultegra/Dura Ace, Trek District Carbon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No problem! The frame "breaking" thing freaks a lot of people out, and it freaked me out for a while until I rode a friend's District. It's really a smooth and quiet ride. I *think* the setup should hold up well and be relatively easy to maintain, but time will tell.
vautrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.