Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28 size

    Hi you all,
    I just got a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28 to be installed on my road to commuter frame bike. As I guessed, they touch the frame at the road brake central attachment point. They measure 30mm from bead to thread at its highest point. My current 700x23 Armadillos 25mm. Any of you can tell me the real height and size of your puncture proof tires when out of the bike?
    Regards.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PNW - Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East
    Posts
    1,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cristobal,

    The Marathon and Durano Plus tires are the two tires in our line that routinely are taller than they are wide. The additional layer of puncture protection causes this. The Marathon Plus and the Durano Plus are available in a 25c width. Whether this helps or not will depend on how badly the 28s are rubbing on the brake mount. Is your bike more or less considered a sport/racing model?
    Guy K. Browne

    Schwalbe North America
    USA | CANADA | Central/South America
    1-888-700-5860 | 250-598-0397 ext.105
    www.schwalbetires.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a 700 x 28 size Marathon Plus on the back wheel of one of my bikes (the bike originally came with 700 x 25 size) and had the same "rub" in the area where the brake attaches. I exchanged it for a 700 x 25 and it fit fine. The 700 x 25 Marathon Plus looks to be about the same size (when it is mounted on the rim) as my cheapish thinner-skinned training tires that I often use on my front wheels. (I just did a very rough measurement on my 700 x 25 Marathon Plus and it seems to top out at about 24-25 mm above the rim). I assume the rim width is going to determine the tire height to some degree and I don't know the rim width offhand.

    To be fair to the MP tire, I tried mounting a "regular" 700 x 28 tire on another bike (that originally came with 700 x 25 tires) and it didn't fit either, so (as was stated above and as I've read before) some bikes (especially those marketed as "racers") are not designed to fit a 700 x 28.
    Last edited by mawtangent; 08-08-10 at 06:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    Hi Cristobal,

    The Marathon and Durano Plus tires are the two tires in our line that routinely are taller than they are wide. The additional layer of puncture protection causes this. The Marathon Plus and the Durano Plus are available in a 25c width. Whether this helps or not will depend on how badly the 28s are rubbing on the brake mount. Is your bike more or less considered a sport/racing model?
    Hi, Guy,
    Thanks for your kind answer. My bike is more a sport racing. It is a 2004 Commenšal Stewart Road frame turned into a commuter. So, it is clear that the mistake is mine, not from Schwalbe. I currently run 700x23 Armadillos, a very harsh option for daily use. I wanted to swap to Marathons in a wider measure aiming to a plushier ride and same (or better) puncture protection. Guessed that the wider the better. So, I went from Spain to London for a business trip and got them at Evans Cycles. When back home, I checked that they rub the brake/frame point. With the Armadillos (25 mm tall from bead to thread) there is a 5-7 mm gap between thread and frame. The 28 Marathons (30 mm tall) rub the brake mount (Grrrrrr!!!!!!) Could you check the tallness of a 700x25 Marathon?.
    Kind people at Schwalbe, by the way.
    Regards.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I checked that lowering the front wheel axle a bit out of the fork dropout the tire gives up rubbering. Thus the axle wouldn't be place at the end of the dropout but firmly tighten. Do you think that the axle would slide till the end of the dropout when hitting a pothole? You can easily imagine the disaster.
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    imi
    imi is offline
    aka Timi imi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
    Posts
    2,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would never mount the front wheel anywhere except deep in the fork.
    Loosing your front wheel is fine if you're good at flying

  7. #7
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I found that a 28mm Marathon Plus is taller than a 28mm Continental SportContact. I was able to fit wheels equipped with the Contis on my mountain bike (they came on a Cannondale Bad Boy, and for the heck of it, I put them into my Cannondale Rush, and the tires juuust cleared the brace in the rear suspension), but another set of wheels with the Marathons wouldn't fit.

    I'd go with the 25mm Marathon Pluses if I were you and wanted to keep that level of flat protection. Definitely don't mount the wheel in the fork halfway.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your wise advice. I guessed I shouldn't do it. The problem is that in Spain is difficult to find anything different from 700x23, very racing here, you know. I will avoid placing the axle halfway the dropout length. Better cycling than flying.
    Regards.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing. Did you hear about a sort of half moon shaped spacer to be fitted in the dropout that allows you to place the axle safely a bit outside?
    Regards.

  10. #10
    imi
    imi is offline
    aka Timi imi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
    Posts
    2,008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cristobal41 View Post
    The problem is that in Spain is difficult to find anything different from 700x23, very racing here, you know.
    Why not buy on-line? Here's some good UK on-line stores:

    Wiggle
    UK Bike Store
    SJS cycles
    Chain Reaction Cycles

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Imi,
    Thanks for your help. Got them from Evans Cycles. I cannot store parts and I prefer to seize them or sell them before getting new ones.
    Regards.

  12. #12
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, hate to say it, but you're going to have to get something else. Doesn't matter what you do with those Schwalbes now; they just don't fit on the bike.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Barrack,
    Agree with you.
    Thanks.

  14. #14
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,107
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got Continental GP 4 Seasons on my commuter bike in size 700 x 28, and they measure 25 mm tall. Conti now makes Gatorskins in 28 (as well as 23 and 25), and they should make a great commuting tire. I assume that the 28 Gatorskins would be the same height as the GP 4 Seasons. They also would be lighter than the Schwalbe Marathons.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,794
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, no one can really tell you exactly how tall a new tire will be, either. I personally found out that hard way that a different wheel can change the height of the tire (if the space for the tire on the wheel is wider or narrower, it changes how tall the tire gets when inflated).

    I needed a new front wheel and a new tire. The shop put a 28c tire on a 700c wheel they had and put it on my bike - it was tight, but it fit. So I ordered a new wheel, and the reflective-sidewall version of the same tire. When it got there, I mounted it and it rubbed - the wheel was slightly different than the wheel they had put on originally. So I had to order the 25c version of the tire which fit.

    fyi.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Unfortunately, no one can really tell you exactly how tall a new tire will be, either. I personally found out that hard way that a different wheel can change the height of the tire (if the space for the tire on the wheel is wider or narrower, it changes how tall the tire gets when inflated).

    I needed a new front wheel and a new tire. The shop put a 28c tire on a 700c wheel they had and put it on my bike - it was tight, but it fit. So I ordered a new wheel, and the reflective-sidewall version of the same tire. When it got there, I mounted it and it rubbed - the wheel was slightly different than the wheel they had put on originally. So I had to order the 25c version of the tire which fit.

    fyi.
    Hi, Paul,
    Absolutely agree with you. Trial and error.
    Regards.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spain
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    I've got Continental GP 4 Seasons on my commuter bike in size 700 x 28, and they measure 25 mm tall. Conti now makes Gatorskins in 28 (as well as 23 and 25), and they should make a great commuting tire. I assume that the 28 Gatorskins would be the same height as the GP 4 Seasons. They also would be lighter than the Schwalbe Marathons.
    Hi, Tar,

    I am looking for puncture resistant tires. You know that Marathons and similars are quete heavy but bomb proof. I don't want to repair a puncture while dressing my suit and tie. Do you think that Gators will be more or less as effective as dedicated tires?
    Regards.

  18. #18
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,107
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cristobal41 View Post
    Hi, Tar,

    I am looking for puncture resistant tires. You know that Marathons and similars are quete heavy but bomb proof. I don't want to repair a puncture while dressing my suit and tie. Do you think that Gators will be more or less as effective as dedicated tires?
    Regards.
    I haven't actually used Gatorskins, but I've got a new pair of them sitting in my garage. They have a reputation for being very durable and flat resistant, but I doubt if they are more so than Schwalbe Marathons. A lot depends on your roads. If your roads have a lot of glass and other debris that cause frequent flats, you might want to go for the Marathons. My roads are more hilly than debris-ridden, so I prefer a lighter tire like the Gatorskins or 4 Seasons.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Panaracer Pasela TG tire is also a pretty good tire though I think the sidewalls on the Schwalbes (Marathon and Marathon Plus) are tougher. I haven't tested carefully, but the Schwalbes and Panaracers appear to be about the same diameter. On my Cannondale, 25mm of either will work, 28mm will not. Have some older Armadillo tires in 26mm and they fit fine, but variation in tires labeled the same across brands is common.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •