Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    REI Headwinds pants

    I see REI has these in stock again. I bought a pair last year and love them for cool temps and light rain or fog. I have ridden in these pants down into the low 40's and they kept me warm. They do repel water but I think if it were raining hard I might get wet. Front of pants are windproof and the back is pretty bretheable. I don't know how they would be in frigid temps like a lot of you get back in the midwest but for here in the Seattle/Tacoma area they are really nice. Plus they aren't skin tight but just snug. I don't work for REI but I do like this particular item so I bought another pair and I'm gonna get my wife a pair too.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  2. #2
    Senior Member ratell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them also and really like them though I consider them a gateway drug towards spandex.
    2010 Masi Speciale CX
    1993 Mt. Shasta Cappella

  3. #3
    It's true, man.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
    Posts
    2,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got them. Great pants.

  4. #4
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratell View Post
    I use them also and really like them though I consider them a gateway drug towards spandex.
    I don't like spandex tights and not a hardcore roadie I wanted an alternative for colder temps. these fit the bill perfectly if I have to walk around in the store or when I'm on a ride and want to stop in and get a bite to eat they don't look so goofy at least to me.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington DC Area
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree these are great pants. I have had them for 3 winters and they are still going strong. I don't ride as much in winter, perhaps once maybe twice at most per week, but these make it possible. I recall some were complaining that they were not available last year at REI, so it is good to seem them again.

    However, I don't think they have to be limited to temps 40F and above. I have worn them in temps in the 20s or so, perhaps even in the teens. Once it is in the 30s, I will wear a very thin pair of long underwear and that does the trick to keep me warm. Because the Headwind pants are rather loose, they can easily fit a thin layer of long underwear, it does not take much of an underlayer to be comfortable in temps below 40s because your legs are doing a lot of the work to keep you warm.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried these yesterday, felt right, ordered a pair for the winter, thanks for the suggestion.

  7. #7
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I agree these are great pants. I have had them for 3 winters and they are still going strong. I don't ride as much in winter, perhaps once maybe twice at most per week, but these make it possible. I recall some were complaining that they were not available last year at REI, so it is good to seem them again.

    However, I don't think they have to be limited to temps 40F and above. I have worn them in temps in the 20s or so, perhaps even in the teens. Once it is in the 30s, I will wear a very thin pair of long underwear and that does the trick to keep me warm. Because the Headwind pants are rather loose, they can easily fit a thin layer of long underwear, it does not take much of an underlayer to be comfortable in temps below 40s because your legs are doing a lot of the work to keep you warm.
    Yep a pair of silk longjohns work great under them. If its raining really hard I just break out the REI Taku W/B and put them on. Keeps me dry for my 7.2 mile commute.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  8. #8
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,087
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love the stuff REI carries. when things got really cold last year I wore some tights under the pants and then switched to snow pants like for skiing and hiking. NOT snowboarding pants, those are cool but way too heavy and bulky
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  9. #9
    One Man Fast Brick hubcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to buy a pair Friday when the 20% off member coupon becomes active.

    I fully expect these plus a pair of tights to be fine for me down to near zero F. I normally wear a regular pair of tights over cycling shorts down to the mid-20s and am fine with that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jr59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man headwind pants;

    Will they help me ride into a headwind?

    I GOT to get me some of these.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    noticed that these went on sale, they are at $55.79 now

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2wk View Post
    noticed that these went on sale, they are at $55.79 now
    Aughhhhhhhhhh! I just bought a pair one friggen week ago. Tore the tags off, so can't return 'em. Well, crap.

  13. #13
    .
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2010 Moots Psychlo-x ybb, 2013 Soma ES, 89 Trek 950
    Posts
    3,726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachman View Post
    Aughhhhhhhhhh! I just bought a pair one friggen week ago. Tore the tags off, so can't return 'em. Well, crap.
    You could return them, but you don't need to. Take your receipt to them and they'll give you the difference. I do it all the time. REI takes everything back. No questions. Awesome store.

    So are these pants. I use them all the time and they work great for our wet Winters here in Oregon.
    Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    You could return them, but you don't need to. Take your receipt to them and they'll give you the difference. I do it all the time. REI takes everything back. No questions. Awesome store.

    So are these pants. I use them all the time and they work great for our wet Winters here in Oregon.
    Thanks for the tip, they were perfectly fine with it. Picked up some of those fenders mentioned in the other thread too... good thing I read bikeforums.

    I think we've got several weeks of fall weather to go before I get a chance to test them out in cold weather, but they feel very comfortable, and for not having flappy legs I like the way they look (I'm not ready for tights). The discounted price makes it even better!

  15. #15
    Senior Member MVclyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Seven Axiom S
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just bought 2 pair of these on sale at the recommendation of everyone here. They are really comfortable. I've been using Mt. Borah Freedom Pant for the last two years. I love the pants, but they ride up my calf leaving my ankles exposed. The Headwinds fit a little snugger so I'm sure they will provide better coverage. Plus, I like the idea of the wind-stopper fabric in the front, and the breathable fabric on the back. I'm hopeful that these will help me regulate body heat better.
    My stable:
    Seven Axiom S
    Surly Cross Check (commuter)

  16. #16
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVclyde View Post
    Ok, I just bought 2 pair of these on sale at the recommendation of everyone here. They are really comfortable. I've been using Mt. Borah Freedom Pant for the last two years. I love the pants, but they ride up my calf leaving my ankles exposed. The Headwinds fit a little snugger so I'm sure they will provide better coverage. Plus, I like the idea of the wind-stopper fabric in the front, and the breathable fabric on the back. I'm hopeful that these will help me regulate body heat better.
    I've never had a problem with them riding up my calf at all. the zippered leg openings keep that from happening I think and they are not skin tight like regular cycling tights.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  17. #17
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,087
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like temperature regulation is such a giant issue unless it's summer and I'm down to just a shirt and shorts or conversely if it's in the teens and I've got no exposed skin. Anything between those two extremes seems to require some kind of regulation through garment modification throughout a long ride. So, I hope you aren't disappointed if you warm up too much on some days.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •