Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Senior Member IcySmooth52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portland, ME
    My Bikes
    Lapierre Xelius, Marin Palisades Trail 29er, & Trek T1
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The worst type of driver

    I've determined today that it's 50 year old ladies with plastic surgery who can't get unglued from their cellphones. She was driving a Mercedes and decided to run a red light taking a left turn and almost hit me and layed on the horn as if it was my fault.
    '15 Lapierre Xelius 200 "Layla" - '13 Marin Palisades Trail SE 29er "Matilda" - '11 Trek T1 "Voskhod"

  2. #2
    Senior Member groovestew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Disc Trucker custom build, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Bianchi road bike, 2012 Scott OTG-20
    Posts
    1,275
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. While I've never noticed an identifiable demographic pattern in inconsiderate drivers, the other day a 50-something lady in a Lexus first swerved towards me, then soon after cut me off. I don't think she was using a cell phone at the time, and I didn't get a good enough look to see if she had any cosmetic enhancements. I'm also unclear as to whether her actions were deliberate towards me, or if she was simply oblivious.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,889
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  4. #4
    Comfortably Numb! BA Commuter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Jabip
    My Bikes
    Jamis Commuter 3.0
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's gotta be either those white work vans or bus drivers.

    Both are always in a freekin hurry and don't believe in sharing the road with my hairy ass...
    “Cycling is like church. Many attend, but few understand." -Jim Burlant

    Jamis Commuter 3.0
    Raleigh R500
    Trek 800
    Dahon Boardwalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brian Sharpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    'burbs of Ottawa ON Canada
    My Bikes
    Marin Larkspur / Giant Defy Alliance 1
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that those who can afford to drive "luxury" vehicles have the mistaken impression that they own the road. Today's bozo de jour was driving a white BMW 7 series and despite the gridlock was trying to force his way through the intersection blocking the box and seemed completely oblivious to the ire of the other drivers.

    Old geezers driving their '70s Detroit land yachts are also cause for fear. They all seem to suffer a form of tunnel vision (literally) and are completely unaware of their surroundings.
    B#

    The plural of anecdote is not data.

    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...harpe/def1.jpg

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Klamath Falls, OR
    My Bikes
    '09 Yukon FX and a cheapy Schwinn commuter
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be the obvious choice, but my vote goes to the elderly. I was walking around downtown on my lunch break today and saw a line of cars on Main St., all backed up behind a nice looking SUV. They were all in the left lane, and the right lane was completely empty. The SUV might have been going 10 miles an hour when I first noticed it, and then all of a sudden the driver decided to make a right turn from the left lane. I was standing at the corner that he turned on, so I got a nice long look at them... They were both (I'm guessing) early 80's, and the husband had that vacant "I'm so old I've forgotten how to drive" look on his face.

    I'm a firm believer that DMV should add some kind of alertness or reaction time test when dealing with elderly drivers, and not just relying on eyesight.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Saint Louis
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1983 Fuji Monterey
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sharpe View Post
    It seems that those who can afford to drive "luxury" vehicles have the mistaken impression that they own the road. Today's bozo de jour was driving a white BMW 7 series and despite the gridlock was trying to force his way through the intersection blocking the box and seemed completely oblivious to the ire of the other drivers.

    Old geezers driving their '70s Detroit land yachts are also cause for fear. They all seem to suffer a form of tunnel vision (literally) and are completely unaware of their surroundings.
    A mid-life crissee in a BMW blared his horn at me the other day while swerving around me. This was 50 yards past a stoplight where he had been stopped behind me. Apparently he hadn't noticed the hundreds of "Share the Road" signs plastered all over the city, nor the fact that I had absolutely nowhere to stop where he could safely get around me on the 5-lane street we were on. I gave him a friendly middle finger.

    In a strange twist of fate, there were many Thule-racked BMW's parked at the start point of a English & metric century I rode this weekend. Apparently some BMW drivers stop after buying a car, while others continue on to get a bike as well.

    I've had issues with every other type of vehicle, so I haven't developed any specific stereotypes yet, other than expecting that every single car hates the fact that I'm riding on "their" road.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could easily engage in ageism, sexism or racism.
    I think you guys have it pretty well covered, so I will, only add "Here-Here!"

    Jeff, still fat

  9. #9
    Slogging along rubic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Fernando Valley, SoCal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly recognize the drivers described in this thread. Of course said drivers are entitled to own the road. No really. If you don't believe me, ask one of them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by murch33 View Post
    Might be the obvious choice, but my vote goes to the elderly. I was walking around downtown on my lunch break today and saw a line of cars on Main St., all backed up behind a nice looking SUV. They were all in the left lane, and the right lane was completely empty. The SUV might have been going 10 miles an hour when I first noticed it, and then all of a sudden the driver decided to make a right turn from the left lane. I was standing at the corner that he turned on, so I got a nice long look at them... They were both (I'm guessing) early 80's, and the husband had that vacant "I'm so old I've forgotten how to drive" look on his face.

    I'm a firm believer that DMV should add some kind of alertness or reaction time test when dealing with elderly drivers, and not just relying on eyesight.
    Yeah, it's always scary when you some old guy in a car with that look. I know exactly what you're talking about...they're usually staring unwaveringly forward and not looking sideways at all. I don't know if it's a cognitive or physical limitation or what, but they have no business being licensed drivers if they're no longer physically or mentally capable of maintaining situational awareness.

    I would like to see improved, much more rigorous driver's license testing all around. I think that at least every 5 years, and probably more frequently past a certain age, you should have to pass an actual driving skills test that involves real driving. Instead of it being one of those silly "drive around the block" tests like I took as a teenager, I'd like to see a test that actually involves things like keeping control of the car at highway speeds, in heavy traffic, in rainy conditions, at night, etc. You should also have to undergo retraining by a professional periodically, as well. I realize that it would cost a lot of money to do all that, but it could be paid for via fees collected from drivers. I would gladly pay $500-$1000 to take a rigorous driving test if that meant that everyone else had to do so as well. This would have the nice side effect of removing a lot of idiots from the driving pool, as well as a lot of elderly and just plain unskilled people incapable of learning good driving skills. The biggest downside that I can see would be somehow keeping all the newly license-less people off of the road, but I think biometric technology might help there.

  11. #11
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,136
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White pickup trucks. You know... the kind where you need a step ladder to get in. The kind that have "hemis".

  12. #12
    Senior Member groovestew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Disc Trucker custom build, 2009 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Bianchi road bike, 2012 Scott OTG-20
    Posts
    1,275
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sharpe View Post
    It seems that those who can afford to drive "luxury" vehicles have the mistaken impression that they own the road.
    And just this afternoon, I heard some honking behind me, followed shortly by an Audi SUV (or crossover, whatever those things are called) go roaring past.

    Quote Originally Posted by fat biker View Post
    I could easily engage in ageism, sexism or racism.
    But yeah, like I alluded to earlier, I've experienced inconsiderate drivers of all kinds: men, women, young, old, rich, poor, and many nationalities, driving many different kinds of vehicles.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed TR
    Posts
    942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One's that won't stop fully at stop lights even when there is cross traffic, just gotta go that 1 second faster so I will step on it and jam on break, and decide to swerve around... The sad thing is, I've seen bikers doing same thing around where I live. It's not the mode of transportation, it's the person.

  14. #14
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White van man.

  15. #15
    Senior Member 009jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I subscribe to the theory that it's the ones driving the luxury cars who have the attitude. If we're going to have special driving tests then we need to include a psychological test to weed out anyone who does not have the patience or courtesy to drive safely.

  16. #16
    Member from- uh... France pharasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found there are a-holes driving all sorts of cars. It's just that you notice the vans and the SUV's more because their so big and fat and all road-hoggy. What I'm most afraid of are cabbies and bus drivers - they are some of the most inconsiderate drivers I've ever run across. What horrifies me is these are professional drivers - you would think spending their entire day on the road and witnessing multitudes of accidents would make them safer drivers. But alas, such is not the case.

  17. #17
    Member from- uh... France pharasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemia View Post
    I'd like to see a test that actually involves things like keeping control of the car at highway speeds, in heavy traffic, in rainy conditions, at night, etc. You should also have to undergo retraining by a professional periodically, as well. I realize that it would cost a lot of money to do all that, but it could be paid for via fees collected from drivers. I would gladly pay $500-$1000 to take a rigorous driving test if that meant that everyone else had to do so as well. This would have the nice side effect of removing a lot of idiots from the driving pool, as well as a lot of elderly and just plain unskilled people incapable of learning good driving skills. The biggest downside that I can see would be somehow keeping all the newly license-less people off of the road, but I think biometric technology might help there.
    I think a higher priority is to get the drunks off the road. We have a hit-and-run traffic death in the Tampa Bay area about once a month. I would like to see traffic cameras EVERYWHERE. Anything goes down and you run, they have you on film and they find your drunk A$$. Big brother is here anyway - we might as well have him work for the good of society.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Middle Aged men/women in SUV's. Young men in expensive cars.

  19. #19
    Senior Member IcySmooth52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portland, ME
    My Bikes
    Lapierre Xelius, Marin Palisades Trail 29er, & Trek T1
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cab chaser View Post
    Young men in expensive cars.
    There are a ton of those in Boston with Porches.
    '15 Lapierre Xelius 200 "Layla" - '13 Marin Palisades Trail SE 29er "Matilda" - '11 Trek T1 "Voskhod"

  20. #20
    Senior Member mustachiod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about gang bangers in mid-80's american sedans with no license plates? they don't give a hoot about stop signs, red lights or bumping into other cars that are in their way. go ahead and yell at them if they get too close or cut you off. see what happens.

    the ladies in their lexus/mercedes will at least have a traceable license plate to report.
    Quote Originally Posted by powers2b View Post
    BF does not have the answer to what you will be happy with.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pharasz View Post
    I think a higher priority is to get the drunks off the road. We have a hit-and-run traffic death in the Tampa Bay area about once a month. I would like to see traffic cameras EVERYWHERE. Anything goes down and you run, they have you on film and they find your drunk A$$. Big brother is here anyway - we might as well have him work for the good of society.
    I don't disagree that the drunks are still a HUGE problem (my sister was hit head on by one who crossed the center line on a 55 mph road while borrowing my car and was very lucky to escape without more serious injuries than she received). The drunk middle aged woman involved in my sister's collision had a really high BAC, was smoking pot while driving, and had no insurance or drivers' license, and STILL only went to jail for a night or two when she was first arrested and escaped with probation and a fine. She ended up getting sued by us (me included, since it was my car that was destroyed) and our insurance company, and had a $50,000+ civil judgment found against her for the injuries, car, etc. She still hasn't paid a dime 5+ years later, claiming that she has no income (she works under the table, apparently). The fact is that the authorities simply aren't interested in harshly enforcing the traffic laws, even in serious cases. So you're 100% correct that that has to change, and it might well be worth it to use a technological solution to try to cut down on this crap. Hit and run should be punished by 10 years in jail if we want to put a stop to it, as it seems to be becoming disturbingly more common.

    All that being said, I think that my solution is complementary to yours. Better driver training and testing has been proven to greatly reduce traffic accidents and fatalities in many other countries. And I think that people might be less likely to drive drunk if driving weren't taken so "casually" in general here, and they had a better understanding of why they need to be in complete control of their mental faculties while doing it. If driving were treated by the authorities as the serious undertaking that is, requiring expensive training and testing, and privileges to do it were revoked upon any sort of serious irresponsibility, people would pay attention more and take it more seriously. There would be less driving drunk, less texting, less cell phone use, etc. So effective enforcement of the laws is necessary, but we also need to seriously address the roots of people's poor driving behavior. And my solution is essentially "free" for the government if it's paid for by licensing fees. And furthermore if benefits the driver who is having to pay for it nearly as much as it benefits others, because it teaches them how to be a safer driver. I don't understand why there would be serious opposition to that plan.
    Last edited by mnemia; 10-05-10 at 10:04 AM.

  22. #22
    It's true, man.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
    Posts
    2,727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemia View Post
    ...<snip-sensible suggestions-> I don't understand why there would be serious opposition to that plan.
    Because the lawmakers who would have to pass it are elderly, drunken luxury car driving, cell phoners who don't want to have to pass a test.

  23. #23
    Member jester711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central WI
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Gary Fisher Marlin
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemia View Post
    Yeah, it's always scary when you some old guy in a car with that look. I know exactly what you're talking about...they're usually staring unwaveringly forward and not looking sideways at all. I don't know if it's a cognitive or physical limitation or what, but they have no business being licensed drivers if they're no longer physically or mentally capable of maintaining situational awareness.

    I would like to see improved, much more rigorous driver's license testing all around. I think that at least every 5 years, and probably more frequently past a certain age, you should have to pass an actual driving skills test that involves real driving. Instead of it being one of those silly "drive around the block" tests like I took as a teenager, I'd like to see a test that actually involves things like keeping control of the car at highway speeds, in heavy traffic, in rainy conditions, at night, etc. You should also have to undergo retraining by a professional periodically, as well. I realize that it would cost a lot of money to do all that, but it could be paid for via fees collected from drivers. I would gladly pay $500-$1000 to take a rigorous driving test if that meant that everyone else had to do so as well. This would have the nice side effect of removing a lot of idiots from the driving pool, as well as a lot of elderly and just plain unskilled people incapable of learning good driving skills. The biggest downside that I can see would be somehow keeping all the newly license-less people off of the road, but I think biometric technology might help there.
    I agree with you, but the "$500-$1000" test wouldn't really help much. Think about the number of people with DUI's. A DUI generally comes with a suspended liscense. Some will use public transportation or start biking, but Many of those people still drive. Regulations like that only work if you get caught.

  24. #24
    Senior Member frymaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    where the mild things roam
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat biker View Post
    I could easily engage in ageism, sexism or racism.
    bingo. good and bad drivers come from all walks of life and demographic slices.

    having said that, i am always wary of the u-haul. they often tend to be driven by people who
    a) have never driven a large truck before
    b) come from a different city and are spending more time paying attention the street signs, maps and gps's than the road
    that's a bad combo.
    "Let's try and keep the constructive answers in the commuting forum." --SheistyMike

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jester711 View Post
    I agree with you, but the "$500-$1000" test wouldn't really help much. Think about the number of people with DUI's. A DUI generally comes with a suspended liscense. Some will use public transportation or start biking, but Many of those people still drive. Regulations like that only work if you get caught.
    Yes, I agree that enforcement is going to be a problem if people are still tempted to drive. Nothing is going to stop some people from driving if the only deterrent is getting caught again. But again, in that area we could do a lot more that would be more effective. Technology is one possible answer: closer monitoring/surveillance of who is driving on public roads might be able to catch a lot of the hit and runs as well as people with no or suspended licenses. You could, for example, use facial recognition systems in the near future: have automated monitoring systems set up at random locations that take a picture of the drivers' face as cars drive by and feed that information to a facial recognition system that checks against a database of known suspended or drunk drivers. You could, at least at some point, have laws that result in seizure of vehicles and a ban on owning any other motor vehicle. If such a law applied to any vehicle driven by a suspended driver, whether owned by them or not, there would be a huge incentive against family members or friends loaning them vehicles to get around the enforcement. The proceeds from the seizures could be used to pay restitution to victims (as I mentioned, many drunks and such are losers who never pay their civil judgments). We could do much more to stop suspended drivers from driving, but we haven't.

    I don't know how people would feel about all that surveillance, but at some point you have to wonder about which is more valuable to people: the illusion of "privacy" while driving on public roads (something that doesn't really exist anyway), or the tens of thousands of lives lost on our highways and roads every year. And of course, this is all the more reason to make it viable for people to use means of transportation other than driving: then it becomes more reasonable in the eyes of the public to strip bad drivers of their privileges. And it would be a beneficial cycle, as well: the more bad drivers are kicked off the road, the safer it will become to bike or use other alternatives to driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •