I'm a third year 3D design for Sustainability student over at University College Falmouth - for my first minor project I'm re-designing and re-thinking the cycle pannier for the cycle commuter using a racing road bike. My concept is to design a pannier which is not purely aimed at the touring market - or mearly a spin off...just smaller!
I really need to know your thoughts on some topics and area's of the designs and to also narrow down the field that I want to design for; Some of the things that really make sense and the ones that don't make sense at all for you - the commuter.
My aim is to help improve the ease of commuting, encouraging more and more people to hit the street on bikes instead of just taking the car - as well as being able to take their racier bike, moving away from having to have a second - relaxed - heavy - ugly - commuter bike.
- How much do you carry? does cycling change what you take?
- Would you like a pannier that complimented the racing bike - for those who commute with speed and still want maximum performance?
- With weight similar to the max capacity of a backpack - would it be advantageous to design without the pannier rack at all - with some frames not even being able to support such a system? would a system that connects to the frame/seat post be easier, especially if they only own one bike for commuting and training/leisure?
- How often do you cycle commute?
- Why do you do it?
- Is visability very important to you?
- How much would you be willing to spend on such a product?
- Is it important to be ealily washable/Lockable/Transportable off the bike?
Please let me know what you think! Your opinions are very important to my design process, and I look forward to hearing from you!