Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,651
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my old road bike (the one with the panniers pictured below) and upgrading to a modestly priced cyclocross bike (like a Jamis Nova). My Raleigh doesn't have room for fenders, although I bought some SKS race blades and I'll try them this week (if I can get them attached). I can't fit a tire larger than 700x25 (fork and brake clearance) and I feel EVERY bump and pothole. So for those of you who commute on cyclocross bikes (or I might consider a touring bike), is the comfort and convenience worth the expense? Anyone have any other suggestions? No mtn bikes - I want drop handlebars.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  2. #2
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 700x38 tires and can still have fenders... it's a very comfy setup.
    The Jamis Nova is nice, as is the Bianchi Volpe.

  3. #3
    rog
    rog is offline
    militant buddhist rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    My Bikes
    '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my old road bike (the one with the panniers pictured below) and upgrading to a modestly priced cyclocross bike (like a Jamis Nova). My Raleigh doesn't have room for fenders, although I bought some SKS race blades and I'll try them this week (if I can get them attached). I can't fit a tire larger than 700x25 (fork and brake clearance) and I feel EVERY bump and pothole. So for those of you who commute on cyclocross bikes (or I might consider a touring bike), is the comfort and convenience worth the expense? Anyone have any other suggestions? No mtn bikes - I want drop handlebars.
    Ron, I have a Jamis Nova, and I love it. Heres a pic, although it needs updating - I've since added fenders.

    www.slammingrooves.com/images/bike2a.jpg

    To this point, the only complaint I have is the paint seems to chip rather easily, but outside of that, it does the job well enough so that I wouldn't use anything else. There may be some components that I'll swap out over time...but overall, it's a great bike.
    -r

  4. #4
    rog
    rog is offline
    militant buddhist rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    My Bikes
    '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh...hit send a little soon. Yeah, my commute is 16 +, one way, with a couple stretches of rough pavement, so I really appreciate the steel frame, and the added toughness. I honestly wouldn't want to take a high buck road bike over this route.
    -r

  5. #5
    Senior Member bpave777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen/San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Cyclocross, Road
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think a cyclocross bike for commuting is a great choice. the geometry is usually more comfortable than performance road bikes. there's good clearance for fenders. i love my canti brakes (Paul). plus you want some forgiveness with the streets in my city. absolutely the worst this side of Baja.

    the only downside, of my cx bike, is the lack of braze ons. i don't have water bottle cages, or fender holes. i just bought some SKS fenders myself, but i'm had a bit of trouble mounting them. i'm going to give it another shot tonight. they're not as easy fitting as i expected.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Race CX bike traditionally have no braze-ons but there are plenty of CX/touring bike, festooned with braze-ons which are ideal for commuting.
    Zip ties are good for attatching fenders if you dont have braze-ons. I use them at the chainstay bridge rather than that useless metal clip.

  7. #7
    Stegosaurus Crunkologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Goa, India
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR-3
    Posts
    1,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are fenders for?

  8. #8
    Senior Member bbaker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Surly Cross Check that I use for commuting purposes (as well as road rides, pulling the kid trailer, and light trail use). I have a 20 mile commute, with a little more than half on trails. The Cross Check has rack and fenders braze-ons and handles tires up to 700x44. I built the bike up from the frame, but they are also available as a complete bike:

    http://parts.spicercycles.com/site/i...=37&SKU=BK0256

    baker
    Last edited by bbaker22; 10-11-04 at 12:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Lotion/Basket/Hose Doctor Who's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1992 Schwinn Paramount
    Posts
    1,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunkologist
    What are fenders for?
    To prevent a rooster-tail of dirty water all over your clothes.

    Next time it rains, take your bike out for a spin. You'll immediately see the need for fenders.

    -Zach

  10. #10
    Senior Member Stubacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oztraylya
    My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Posts
    2,677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Cross Check for commuting too. I considered the Jamis Nova, but got a good price on the Surly and really loved the frame. Lots of braze-ons - I've added a rack and panniers, full fenders, water bottle cages, and still have some spots left on the frame for a front rack. I run 700x28 slicks (armadillos) during the summer, and will run 700x32 knobbies for the winter. As bbaker22 said, it'll take up to 45s.

    The bike's great and I love riding it, though unfortunately have been travelling so much with work that I haven't been in town on a business day to commute for 2 months!

  11. #11
    Vermonticus Outdoorsus CommuterKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper circa 1993
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering a Soma Double Cross for these very same reasons. I currently commute on an early 90's Specialized Rockhopper, and think that a road bike would be a bit too unforgiving of the roads around here, and a mountain bike is just too heavy, not enough hand positions (even with bar ends), and just not fast enough on some of the longer road trips I take.

    I recently found a guy in the town that I live in that has a small repair shop, and he also builds a few bikes a year to sell. I poked around his shop, and he showed me the Double Cross, and I just fell in love with it. He is going to build it up for me over the winter with used parts mainly, and by spring (when I can finally afford it), I will have a spiffy new cross bike!
    "Methinks my own soul is a bright invisible green" H. Thoreau

  12. #12
    the way we get by skitbraviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wherever the f**k I feel it
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Surly Crosscheck? Nice solid steel designed by those who ride 'em.
    "I can't go on, I'll go on..." —S. Beckett

    "Ta det lungnt." —Dungen

    blah blah blah...

  13. #13
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,651
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and thoughts.
    I went to 3 bike shops and looked at some really good looking bikes. Here are my opinions:
    Surly CrossCheck - didn't like the bar end shifters
    Trek XO-1 - double chainring and didn't like the gearing
    Lemond Poprad - double chainring and didn't like gearing
    Redline and KHS didn't impress me
    Felt F1X - didn't like the gearing and kinda pricey
    Bianchi Axis - didn't like the gearing or the cables spread out across a flat top tube
    Bianchi Volpe - this was high on my list of contenders but I didn't like the gearing

    Some were my size, others were "close" to the right size. All of the bikes were in-stock and most will be clearance priced next weekend, but regardless of price, if I don't like the bike or it doesn't fit then it's not a bargain.


    So I bit the bullet and ordered a 2005 Jamis Nova. There aren't any in the USA yet. Jamis isn't even showing the 2005s on their website. I saw the bike in the catalog at the shop. It's black with gray accents. The bike shop owner contacted the factory and told me I may be able to pick it up around Thanksgiving.
    I guess I'll put the Raleigh (shown below) on the auction block in time for someone to get a "new" bike for Christmas.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  14. #14
    Ride the Road Daily Commute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB
    Posts
    4,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be too late RonH, but for others reading the thread, I think the bar-end shifters on my Crosscheck work great for commuting. You don't need to constantly shift. I don't know the Jamis Nova, but I hope you enjoy it.

  15. #15
    Luggite bsyptak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nova is a nice bike. It's got excellent components on it for the price. There's really nothing to switch out, no junk components. That was the same with my Jamis Quest. Similar bike, though the Quest is pure road. The 631 frame is nice and cushy, the seat is awesome. You're gonna love it.

    Though time will appear to stop in it's tracks as you wait for it!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsyptak
    The Nova is a nice bike. It's got excellent components on it for the price. There's really nothing to switch out, no junk components. That was the same with my Jamis Quest. Similar bike, though the Quest is pure road. The 631 frame is nice and cushy, the seat is awesome. You're gonna love it.

    Though time will appear to stop in it's tracks as you wait for it!
    I have a Jamis and it rides very well. I'm in the process of getting a shorter stem to get a better fit but a nice bike overall. Mine is the inexpensive Aurora but the frame really absorbs the road grind.

  17. #17
    The 'net ruined cycling ajkloss42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    My Bikes
    Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daily Commute
    It may be too late RonH, but for others reading the thread, I think the bar-end shifters on my Crosscheck work great for commuting. You don't need to constantly shift. I don't know the Jamis Nova, but I hope you enjoy it.
    Icky. No offense intended, but I'm not a big fan of bar-end shifters for much of anything. I've only ridden a bike with them for a few miles, but they bug me, and I've heard people ***** about banging them with their knees causing them to shift while climbing which would be just about the worst thing I could image happening. STI, downtube, fixed gear, crappy grip-shift, fine. Anything but bar-ends.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    '04 Surly Crosscheck, '04 Specialized Allez Elite
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too loved everything except the bar-ends on the Cross-Check. I had them put on STI shifters instead. I bought the Tiagra build complete bike and had them swap out the brakes and the bar-ends for 105 STI shifters. I tried for the Tiagra shifters but Shimano is a bit slow on some parts these days. This way I got exactly what I wanted on the bike and now have a nice set set of brakes that are going on a friend's fixed-gear conversion of a mid-70's Peugot.

    As stated above, the Cross-Check has a ton of braze-ons for extra bits. And for tire clearance, I now have 35mm Nokian W106 studded tires working under the Planet Bike full fenders. The fenders required some careful adjustment, but it fits. Bring on the snow.
    Live and let ride.

  19. #19
    Ride the Road Daily Commute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB
    Posts
    4,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajkloss42
    Icky. No offense intended, but I'm not a big fan of bar-end shifters for much of anything. I've only ridden a bike with them for a few miles, but they bug me, and I've heard people ***** about banging them with their knees causing them to shift while climbing which would be just about the worst thing I could image happening. STI, downtube, fixed gear, crappy grip-shift, fine. Anything but bar-ends.
    I have never bumped my bar-end shifters. I like them, but I have never tried the more advanced shifters attached to the break levers. To each his or her own. If you don't like the bar-ends, buy the frame and build it the way you like it.

  20. #20
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't go wrong with the Jamis! Very much an overlooked manufacturer in the U.S. market. I think the Nova would be a great commuter!

  21. #21
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,651
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjorissen
    I too loved everything except the bar-ends on the Cross-Check. I had them put on STI shifters instead.
    I asked about swapping components on a few of the bikes but they were all '04 and the different shops wanted to move them quickly as they were. Any changes would have cost more than I was willing to pay.



    Quote Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
    You can't go wrong with the Jamis! Very much an overlooked manufacturer in the U.S. market. I think the Nova would be a great commuter!
    I almost bought a Jamis Quest in '99 but was swayed by the salesperson into buying the Raleigh (pictured below) because it had better components - full 105 for the about the same price as the Jamis with lesser components.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  22. #22
    Maglia Ciclamino gcasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '99 Bianchi Volpe. Put fenders and a rack on it. 700x32 Conti Top Touring tires on Mavic A719 rims. Very, very comfortable. With those wheels, you can bet I'll be doing some touring next year too.

  23. #23
    Along for the ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daily Commute
    I have never bumped my bar-end shifters. I like them, but I have never tried the more advanced shifters attached to the break levers.
    I have bar-end shifters on one bike. They work OK, and should be very reliable. I am considering swapping them out for downtube shifters only because double-shifts require so much movement if I'm riding on the tops. An older bike with downtube shifters lets me double-shift with one hand.

  24. #24
    rog
    rog is offline
    militant buddhist rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    My Bikes
    '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and thoughts.
    I went to 3 bike shops and looked at some really good looking bikes. Here are my opinions:
    Surly CrossCheck - didn't like the bar end shifters
    Trek XO-1 - double chainring and didn't like the gearing
    Lemond Poprad - double chainring and didn't like gearing
    Redline and KHS didn't impress me
    Felt F1X - didn't like the gearing and kinda pricey
    Bianchi Axis - didn't like the gearing or the cables spread out across a flat top tube
    Bianchi Volpe - this was high on my list of contenders but I didn't like the gearing

    Some were my size, others were "close" to the right size. All of the bikes were in-stock and most will be clearance priced next weekend, but regardless of price, if I don't like the bike or it doesn't fit then it's not a bargain.


    So I bit the bullet and ordered a 2005 Jamis Nova. There aren't any in the USA yet. Jamis isn't even showing the 2005s on their website. I saw the bike in the catalog at the shop. It's black with gray accents. The bike shop owner contacted the factory and told me I may be able to pick it up around Thanksgiving.
    I guess I'll put the Raleigh (shown below) on the auction block in time for someone to get a "new" bike for Christmas.

    Awesome, Ron! Congrats, and be sure to post pics when it arrives...
    -r

  25. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lansing, MI USA
    My Bikes
    Specialized MTB
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This place has reviews, articles, reference, and links. One-stop service for coffee geeks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •