Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) commuters - need your input!
Hey Forum Folks - I'm a recent transplant to L.A. and I've gotten an intermittent gig writing for the L.A. Daily News about cycling. I'm working now on a story about cycling commuters specifically in the San Fernando Valley, and was hoping to get some info from people actually out there in the trenches. (I myself am a car-free cyclist, but since I work from a home office, don't technically commute - instead, I bike to run errands and shop and go have adventures.)
If anyone commutes regularly (2 times a week or more) and would like to be interviewed by email, please let me know sometime before Oct. 26th - I'd love to hear your story. (I'm interested in ALL stories; however, the article will focus on the upbeat, positive, inspiring stories of commuters - it's intended to get other people out on their bikes, not terrify them overmuch about cyclists' semi-invisible status on L.A. streets.)
1. The location, length, and frequency of your commute, whether you include public transportation like buses or trains, and your use of city streets and/or bike trails/paths.
Also curious about:
2. When and why you started commuting,
3. What your favorite part of being a bike commuter is,
4. Whether you're alone at your workplace in commuting (if so, do other people envy you or think you're nuts?)
5. Lastly, any specific anecdotes of your experience or words of encouragement for others thinking of trying a bike commute are very welcome.