Are you guys as crazy about collecting bikes as I have become? I am one of those guys who think that if 1 is good, 1+N must be N+1 times better! It is killing my pocket book and I really need to make a change.
I have hit the point now where I am just thinking that I have too damn many bikes. This is not so much because I don't love them or ride them; it is because it is very expensive to build and maintain a lot of bikes. I would just like to go on a ski trip or do some big rides instead of always throwing money into better parts for these bikes.
Here is the stable.
- Specialized Tarmac Pro (kick-A$$ group ride machine; no commuting duty)
- Giant TCR0 (not really sure why I own this bike but it is my winter group ride bike)
- Kona Major Jake (sees a lot of racing & commuting; currently has a broken der hanger)
- Kona Jake the Snake (cx pit bike/primary commuter; currently being built up to relieve the MJ of commuting duty)
- Peugot 1982 gaspipe road bike (1X9), don't ride very much
- Giant NRS1 (MTB; minimal commute but I do race this bike)
- Jamis explorer (full rigid 1990s mtb: kid hauler, neighborhood cruiser)
Honestly, I am just completely cash strapped every month trying to reach/maintain my ideal builds on all of these bikes.
I am building the JTS out to match the 9 speed on the MJ for a lot of reasons (Mostly racing related). Just ordered DA 7700 shifters for her. Will need saddle, seatpost, stem and rear der but is pretty much all spec'd out.
I have an opportunity to update the TCR with 10 speed for $200 but I can't really think of a good reason to do it other than to have the 10 speed build kit ready for when I bring both cx racers up to 10 speed as 9 speed gets harder to find. If I did this, I could sell the old 9 speed kit and recover $100 or so. So going to 10 speed for $100 is almost a no brainer even though it will cash strap me AGAIN.
I don't like having this obsession control me this way. AARGH!
Thanks for hearing me vent at myself.