Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Zeist, Netherlands
Bikes: '90 Peugeot Ventoux, Cornelo, '89 Gazelle Field Cruiser MTB, '83 Peugeot PFN10, '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
1995 Giant Trooper for commuting?
I'm thinking of doing my daily commute by bike instead of car. Distance is approx 2x 13km = 26km (16mi).
I got some race bikes, some mountainbike and even a recumbent bike frame which I plan to build up eventually.
For now I just want a simple bike, so I bought a Giant Trooper for 20 dollar. Stripped it down to the last bolt and am thinking how to rebuild it.
more info on current parts here
It's a 1995 (i guess. based on all Shimano parts) Giant Trooper All Road Series on CrMo 4130 tubing.
wheel base is 40cx700, most parts are Shimano STX and 7spd GripShift.
- it's a 58cm c-c. My racing bikes are 60cm. Is it too small?
- what category is it? touring? hybrid? mtb? urban?
- anyone recognizes the rear rack? Bor Yueh?
- I can't find any decent info on this model. No Bikepedia entry. Strange!
- what bar should i use? butterfly? flatbar? dropbar? this one?
- upgrade from extec (?) cantilevers to v-brakes (with new levers) any use?
- should i use another base frame? see my site (link above) for spare frames.
thx for the tips!
Last edited by leunkstar; 03-07-11 at 05:23 PM.
Reason: spelling errs