Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 698
  1. #376
    Senior Member jputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    My Bikes
    Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning to go to the fabric store for some 1/2" webbing for a new lanyard for my transit pass, when a passing electrician's truck lost a several-hundred-foot spool of 1/2" webbing used for pulling wiring through plastic conduits. Lifetime supply of lanyards, tie-downs, bag straps, etc.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jputnam/collections/72157604835074312/

  2. #377
    What, me worry? Telly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    My Bikes
    Corratec / Jamis
    Posts
    1,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday's evening commute back from work took me by a deserted coastal road at the southern suburbs of Athens, which during the winter is very badly lit. Having turned on my dyno-driven halogen and a spare cree flashlight, I noticed something thrown at the road's edge and stopped to check it out. It turned out to be a gun, probably 45mm with it's magazine missing and the gun barrel cocked back. Because of the widespread burglaries and heists happening around Greece as of lately, I decided to ride up the road to a point where there's a private security car guarding the entrance of a marina and report it to the guard; fast forward to an hour later where I ended up going back to the spot with a police officer and spend another half-hour explaining how I found it, who I am and why I decided to take that road back home.

    On the one hand, I was smart enough not to touch or move the gun and report it, but on the other hand, I lost nearly two hours waiting in the cold and ended up being (mildly) harassed by a LEO who acted as though I was the one who threw it there.

  3. #378
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,618
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telly View Post
    Yesterday's evening commute back from work took me by a deserted coastal road at the southern suburbs of Athens, which during the winter is very badly lit. Having turned on my dyno-driven halogen and a spare cree flashlight, I noticed something thrown at the road's edge and stopped to check it out. It turned out to be a gun, probably 45mm with it's magazine missing and the gun barrel cocked back. Because of the widespread burglaries and heists happening around Greece as of lately, I decided to ride up the road to a point where there's a private security car guarding the entrance of a marina and report it to the guard; fast forward to an hour later where I ended up going back to the spot with a police officer and spend another half-hour explaining how I found it, who I am and why I decided to take that road back home.

    On the one hand, I was smart enough not to touch or move the gun and report it, but on the other hand, I lost nearly two hours waiting in the cold and ended up being (mildly) harassed by a LEO who acted as though I was the one who threw it there.
    I think you did the right thing. Who knows? It might lead to the arrest of a dangerous criminal.

    What is an LEO?

  4. #379
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,351
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    I think you did the right thing. Who knows? It might lead to the arrest of a dangerous criminal.

    What is an LEO?
    I agree, but I don't understand the dumb cop routine they put you through. Why would you throw a gun then report you found a gun? That makes no sense.

  5. #380
    Living the Dream stdlrf11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    DFW Metroplex
    My Bikes
    Custom Windsor Tourist, Specialized Secteur
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    I agree, but I don't understand the dumb cop routine they put you through. Why would you throw a gun then report you found a gun? That makes no sense.
    Exactly! It doesn't make sense, which is why its so brilliant! What a great way to get rid of your gun and make sure you're not a suspect. Good job.

    BTW, Ekdog, LEO is a Law Enforcement Officer, aka Police Officer or "cop"

  6. #381
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,351
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stdlrf11 View Post
    Exactly! It doesn't make sense, which is why its so brilliant! What a great way to get rid of your gun and make sure you're not a suspect. Good job.

    BTW, Ekdog, LEO is a Law Enforcement Officer, aka Police Officer or "cop"
    But if I threw a gun it's because I did something illegal with it, I wouldn't want anyone remotely thinking that I may have had that gun, so going to the cops thinking they'll think it's not yours is crazy. But criminals have done far dumber things. But then again if I threw a gun it wouldn't been so close to the roadway for a person walking or riding a bike to see.

  7. #382
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,618
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stdlrf11 View Post
    BTW, Ekdog, LEO is a Law Enforcement Officer, aka Police Officer or "cop"
    Thanks. I was raised by my grandfather, who was a retired cop. That's what he called himself, a cop. Why not use plain language--cop, policeman, police officer...-- instead of these strange abbreviations?

  8. #383
    What, me worry? Telly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    My Bikes
    Corratec / Jamis
    Posts
    1,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No disrespect meant Ekdog, my grandfather was also a cop, but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to know him well because he passed away when I was young. These abbreviations are internet fads, and I sometimes get carried away with using them (pre-mid-life-crisis!).

    A bit of trivia... cop is also an abbreviation for Constable On Patrol!

    Update on the gun issue: I received a call to pass by the local police station after New Years Eve so they can check-up on my alien residence permit. It seems that there's quite a few forged documents going around and the cop which took my statement wasn't familiar with these permits. Shame they don't let them do their jobs and bog them down with tons of bureaucratic BS.
    Last edited by Telly; 12-31-11 at 03:15 AM.

  9. #384
    Senior Member cycleheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York Metro Area
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 720 Multi-Track, 1994 Cannondale M600, 1991 Schwinn CrossCut, 1981 Fuji S12S (18 spd), 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Touring
    Posts
    3,466
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was the only guy who found tools...adjustable wrenches, screw drivers, vise grips, etc. A buddy of mine says guys leave them on the car when they're working on it, then forget they are there and then they drive off and the tools falls off onto the road. Anybody find my Zefal HP frame pump on their commute?
    Bike-A-Holic

  10. #385
    Senior Member The_DK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    My Bikes
    2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Thanks. I was raised by my grandfather, who was a retired cop. That's what he called himself, a cop. Why not use plain language--cop, policeman, police officer...-- instead of these strange abbreviations?
    Hmm, LEO is what we use around here in California too.

  11. #386
    Living the Dream stdlrf11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    DFW Metroplex
    My Bikes
    Custom Windsor Tourist, Specialized Secteur
    Posts
    367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to get into too much boring detail or derail this thread, but there are thousands of people in the Law Enforcement field, sworn officers, who do not fit the description of what you would call a "cop." Local street officers are usually called "cops." FBI/DEA are usually considered Law Enforcement Officers, but not "cops." They don't usually conduct traffic stops or stop liquor store robberies. A cop is a LEO, but a LEO isn't always a cop.

    Now back on topic...

    Thursday I found a dirty 3XL safety vest. I salvaged the sew-on reflective tape and put it on my new commuter jacket. Tomorrow I get to test it out.



    Last edited by stdlrf11; 01-01-12 at 02:13 PM.

  12. #387
    Senior Member jputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    My Bikes
    Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer
    Posts
    1,260
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleheimer View Post
    I thought I was the only guy who found tools...adjustable wrenches, screw drivers, vise grips, etc. A buddy of mine says guys leave them on the car when they're working on it, then forget they are there and then they drive off and the tools falls off onto the road. Anybody find my Zefal HP frame pump on their commute?
    Another common scenario, they're carrying two hands full of stuff out to the car, and realize it's locked. Set stuff on the roof to get keys, hop in, drive away. I suspect that accounts for most of the cell phones I've found on I-90 -- they stay on the roof until the driver hits highway speeds.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jputnam/collections/72157604835074312/

  13. #388
    Senior Member Thomas Brock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7.3FX
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a Marine NCO handbook, about $17 in pennies (I stopped and picked them up.), and countless hats, shoes, undergarments, etc (didn't collect any of those!). No good tools or anything like that.

    My new commute is down a much busier street...I may find more interesting stuff!
    Read my blog.
    Twitter: @ThomasBrock

    2007 Trek 7.3 FX

  14. #389
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mens Tungsten comfort bad wending ring. I find its weird to take that sort of thing off so I dont understand how I would find one in the gutter.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  15. #390
    It's true, man.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
    Posts
    2,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
    Thanks. I was raised by my grandfather, who was a retired cop. That's what he called himself, a cop. Why not use plain language--cop, policeman, police officer...-- instead of these strange abbreviations?
    My grandpa who was a Texas Ranger before WWII used to say you could tell a lot about a cop by whether he called himself a Peace Officer, or a Law Enforcement Officer.

  16. #391
    Senior Member scaryseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found another water bottle today on a short ride. That would be 3 bottles the past few months, a hanger I use now at work to put my jacket on to dry.

  17. #392
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    pike
    My Bikes
    1 Custom built Colin Laing
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~a wrecked bike next to a bloody shoe, waited 15min, no one came around so I took the 700x38c tires off it. NEW condition.

    ~a brand new pair of "Answer team 2" gloves IN MY SIZE, still got em.

    ~Blackburn pump

    ~tons of cellphones/wallets *I live next to a uni, some(most) w/ pictures they wouldnt want any stranger to see lol.

    ~bicycles in the trash that clearly are worth something but the person tossing em doesnt know, I always ask before I take

    ~Abandoned longboards, 4 so far, usually sat morning. (again, I live next to a uni)

    ~a singer industrial sewing machine, I had just attatched my extracycle so it was an easy haul home from where I was some 10mi out, otherwise I woulda died trying haha.

    ~A Kabar 8in folding knife, still got it.
    Last edited by FatBaldMen; 01-03-12 at 12:35 PM.

  18. #393
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Mens Tungsten comfort bad wending ring. I find its weird to take that sort of thing off so I dont understand how I would find one in the gutter.
    As I've been losing weight, my wedding ring's gotten a lot looser. If I've got a good sweat going, it can get pretty close to falling off.

  19. #394
    Senior Member Ekdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seville, Spain
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
    Posts
    3,618
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truman View Post
    My grandpa who was a Texas Ranger before WWII used to say you could tell a lot about a cop by whether he called himself a Peace Officer, or a Law Enforcement Officer.
    I like "peace officer"--as long as the copper who uses the moniker lives up to it. Many don't, alas.

  20. #395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    My Bikes
    2008 Jake the Snake, 2004 Specialized Enduro Comp, 2008 Giant FCR3, 2007 Fiori Tandem, 2011 Gary Fisher Marlin SS, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to stop today to remove a few layers and where I pulled off, there was a 2 bike rack (like you would find at a store) hidden behind some trees. I will have to drive back there tonight to pick that up. That would be perfect for my garage (which no longer fits a car due to the sheer number of bikes). This is the best find so far...

  21. #396
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SFV, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing too "weird" but a few nights ago I saw two Acerbis Motocross boots along side the MUP. Notice that I didn't say "pair". Two boots but different models. This was along the MUP running through the San Fernando Valley. Strange place to spot them as there's no road running along side this portion of the route.

    And I see it so often now that it no longer can be classified as "weird": drunks pissing on the side of the MUP through Van Nuys (usually around Sepulveda or Van Nuys Blvd.). Disgusting. Usually once or twice a week.

  22. #397
    Senior Member Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotted on the commute today: a u-lock in the bike lane, and a gigantic caster wheel. I stopped to grab for the caster for the scrap bin, but changed my mind when I realized it was solid steel and weighed about 20 pounds.

  23. #398
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBaldMen View Post
    ~a wrecked bike next to a bloody shoe, waited 15min, no one came around so I took the 700x38c tires off it. NEW condition.

    This weirds me out. Any thought given to the idea that a cyclist may have been hit by a car and was rushed to the hospital? The bike may have been left to be picked up later. Even if the cyclist might never ride it again isn't that somewhere between stealing and tampering with evidence?

  24. #399
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,351
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding a shoe along side of the road has always puzzled me. Why would someone throw a perfectly fine shoe out of the car? Kids goofing? Some of the shoes I've seen looked like adult shoes. If kids, how does a kid explain to their parent, "gee, I lost a shoe but not sure how it happened!" I could understand if the shoe was beat up and they threw out the window like trash, ok, I don't agree with littering, but you know what I'm saying. But to throw out a perfectly good shoe?

  25. #400
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2014 Felt Z5 carbon bike
    Posts
    3,028
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a pair of soles of jogging shoes laying need a bench at Mission Peak,Fremont. Weird huh?
    2014 Surly Cross Check 2023.7 miles
    2015 Scott Aspect 730. 505.2miles

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •